A look around the ACC in recruiting

TampaBayJacket

Dodd-Like
Perfect example.

If Mack can keep recruiting like this AND hire good coordinators, he’ll do well....but it took a Superman to win him a Natty at Texas.

same deal with Chizik at Auburn.
Mack Brown has his critics due to his propensity for underachieving with fabulous talent. I am not a MB critic because getting that talent is 90% of college football, even if you underachieve once you get it.

moochie

Varsity Lurker
UNC - Just yikes. They’re basically doing what we were hoping to do on steroids. Their OL/DLs are going to be stacked with a good QB for awhile now.

FSU - Id be shocked if they actually finished below us. But there’s definitely been a noticeable shift in their recruiting. Don’t think they’re the “factory” that we’re used to them being anymore. They could recover pretty quick with the right coach though.

VT - their fanbase is starting to open their eyes to the fact that they over-achieved under Beamer and have no real reason to be an ACC power other than having lower academic standards than all but FSU/UL. Living in DC and surrounded by them, I’m loving this. It’s taking them awhile to realize it though b/c Fuente keeps winning 8/9 games with comical OOC schedules and BC as their crossover.

In his 2nd full cycle CGC should be finishing no worse than 5th in the ACC. He had more leash in the 2020 class (and didn’t need it). Starting in 2022 I’d expect to see us start to threaten unseating one or more of the Top 4 (Clemson/Miami/UNC/FSU). And 2023 we should be an accepted contender for having a Top 4 class.
this is good kommenting for certain, but i'd argue that UM isn't a top four caliber program, although i don't know who i would replace them with. same with fsu??

i think we're only a year or two away from Lewisville separating themselves from the pack as a clear #2. i think satterfield was the catch of the year when they grabbed him (my silly little man-crush, sorry) and you'll soon see the redcards challenging clempsum for the moonshine division. i guess you'd have to load fsu and vpi in some sort of order 3 and 4, but we will hopefully crack that group in 2022. as i've stated before, no way emanuel diaz makes 3 years as HC. program in decline, imo.

as i read my own lunatic spew, i've just noted that the top four are all from the moonshine division, which bodes well for our future if we can build quickly. in the academia division, don't think the cavs can sustain top of division, nor pitt, despite a good solid coach. nc is the wildcard moving forward, due cruitin', as mentioned.

juice.

BrentwoodJacket

Dodd-Like
Are the UNC recruits that good or are they over rated due to the lower competition level in North Carolina? If the talent level in North Carolina was that high, I would have thought Clemson would have picked up more than 2 commitments in their neighboring state.

gtrower

Dodd-Like
this is good kommenting for certain, but i'd argue that UM isn't a top four caliber program, although i don't know who i would replace them with. same with fsu??

i think we're only a year or two away from Lewisville separating themselves from the pack as a clear #2. i think satterfield was the catch of the year when they grabbed him (my silly little man-crush, sorry) and you'll soon see the redcards challenging clempsum for the moonshine division. i guess you'd have to load fsu and vpi in some sort of order 3 and 4, but we will hopefully crack that group in 2022. as i've stated before, no way emanuel diaz makes 3 years as HC. program in decline, imo.

as i read my own lunatic spew, i've just noted that the top four are all from the moonshine division, which bodes well for our future if we can build quickly. in the academia division, don't think the cavs can sustain top of division, nor pitt, despite a good solid coach. nc is the wildcard moving forward, due cruitin', as mentioned.

juice.
Talking about recruiting. On field results will lag a few years behind. VTs a few years away from being in the 5-7 range in the Coastal.

gtrower

Dodd-Like
UNC just picked up a crystal ball for the #1 CB in ‘21 class today too. Right in VTs backyard. Honestly wouldn’t mind as UGA seems to be the other favorite.

Their defense is gonna be nasty talented.

TampaBayJacket

Dodd-Like
Are the UNC recruits that good or are they over rated due to the lower competition level in North Carolina? If the talent level in North Carolina was that high, I would have thought Clemson would have picked up more than 2 commitments in their neighboring state.
Recruiting services are pretty good at their highly rated guys because everybody gets to see these guys at the same camps as the other highly rated guys. I'd say a high 4-star in NC is the same as a high 4-star in FL or GA. However, the depth of states like FL and GA is what separate them from the pack. There are countless solid players from these two states that are three stars that are great players but just not as visible as the guys everybody knows.

RussianOffense

НЕТ ВОЙНЕ
I think a previous poster had it right. UNC recruits well in state because they are the big fish in their state, and they don't have the Alabamas, Auburns, and Floridas right next door. Once they got some good recruits, the perception that they are the hot new team has helped then get more good recruits. Positive feedback loop.

Hopefully it's just a slower climb to elite classes for us

Techbert

Dodd-Like
From Pro Football Talk:

Florida State defensive tackle Marvin Wilson, who is widely regarded as a first-round prospect in the 2021 NFL draft, says he and teammates will boycott workouts because head coach Mike Norvell lied about the discussions he had with his players about the recent unrest following the police killing of George Floyd.

Norvell told TheAthletic.com that he “went back and forth individually with every player this weekend.” When Wilson saw that, he wrote on Twitter that Norvell was lying.

“Man this did not happen mane,” Wilson wrote. “We got a generated text that was sent to everybody. There was no one on one talk between us and coach. This is a lie and me and my teammates as a whole are outraged and we will not be working out until further notice.”

Florida State players began voluntary workouts at the school’s football facility on Monday. It is unclear how many players plan to join Wilson in his boycott, but multiple Florida State players liked or shared Wilson’s tweet.

Wilson had a good chance of being a first-round draft pick this year, but after a hand injury cut short his 2019 season, he decided to come back for his senior year in 2020.

gtrower

Dodd-Like
From Pro Football Talk:
Certainly won’t be having issues like this with CGC. Players have been vocal in their praise about the staffs response to all of this. Including ‘21 commits.

clapper

Dodd-Like
How exactly are those "Points" in the last column calculated?

Never mind. I found it.

Last edited:

RussianOffense

НЕТ ВОЙНЕ
Certainly won’t be having issues like this with CGC. Players have been vocal in their praise about the staffs response to all of this. Including ‘21 commits.
Collins spoke about this on a recent radio interview. I try to find it

samsgt02

Dodd-Like
I think it's funny F$U's players are boycotting workouts
Honestly, a poor choice by the players. Not going to help your draft stock. First, working out is fundamental. Second, NFL GMs probably pick someone less risky given the same athleticism. The risk being publicly criticizing your head coach.

texstinger

Dodd-Like
Reactionary words and deeds are often more funny than any niblet of truth they may contain.