A look around the ACC in recruiting

Deke

Everybody relax, I'm here.
Let’s get back to beating Duke AT ALL. Have to do that first.
I imagine we will. We still finished better in conference than them I think all but the one year they won the coastal (maybe one other, I looked it up sometime before last season). We’ll see if Cutcliffe’s hate boner for GT died with CPJ retiring or if it will carry on with CGC. Either way, we’re going to be out talenting them by a greater margin very soon.

gtchief

Not Wrong, Just An A******
UNC landed a 5* commit, out of Virgina. Now ranked 3rd nationally right behind Clemson

Last edited:

ramblin_wreck08

Class of 2012
UNC landed a 5* commit, out of Virgina. Now ranked 3rd nationally right behind Clemson
Very impressive so far (even with a bag man). I wonder how many of these commits do they keep when the big boys come knocking around NSD?

gtrower

Dodd-Like
Very impressive so far (even with a bag man). I wonder how many of these commits do they keep when the big boys come knocking around NSD?
All but a couple of their guys are in-state. I’d be surprised if they slip out of the Top 10. Probably finish around 7/8. They’ve basically had a perfect storm of:

- hype around Mack
- historically talented cycle for the state
- NC State historically bad
- Clemson recruiting nationally

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
All but a couple of their guys are in-state. I’d be surprised if they slip out of the Top 10. Probably finish around 7/8. They’ve basically had a perfect storm of:

- hype around Mack
- historically talented cycle for the state
- NC State historically bad
- Clemson recruiting nationally
No pesky classwork at UNC

Techbert

Dodd-Like
Y'all act like this has never happened before. Mack coached UNC before and did better in recruiting, with a team that made ours last year look champion. Just look at the history.

And BTW, he would poach on NSD, not the other way around. And the bagmen were in place, then and after Brown left the first time. See Marvin Austin.

Mack = Great Recruiter + Bagmen

Last edited:

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
Y'all act like this has never happened before. Mack coached UNC before and did better in recruiting, with a team that made ours last year look champion. Just look at the history.

And BTW, he would poach on NSD, not the other way around. And the bagmen were in place, then and after Brown left the first time. See Marvin Austin.

UNC has almost always underachieved. IMO, UNC has more built in advantages than Clemson and could have, should have, been on the Clemson path.

UNC just has always scared me more than Clemson. They should have beaten Clemson last season. They have a ton of talent.

That said, we should put recruit both, or at least be equal.

Techbert

Dodd-Like
UNC has almost always underachieved. IMO, UNC has more built in advantages than Clemson and could have, should have, been on the Clemson path.

UNC just has always scared me more than Clemson. They should have beaten Clemson last season. They have a ton of talent.

That said, we should put recruit both, or at least be equal.
Oh, we are coming.

UNC came out strong cuz all they had to do is put the band back together. But it is never the same long-term. Clemson has done a lot of things right, but I think they jumped the shark, just like Bama jumped the shark. UNC and Clemson will fight over the same players.

We've got a strategy. I think it is sound. Georgia, Florida, and Texas, and anywhere else on a case basis. And historically if you look at our good teams they consistently outpaced the recruiting evaluations.

ramblin57

Varsity Lurker
Good evaluation is how we have to do it, believe CGC and company are good at that, we will get there, we're coming. Straighten me out, but didn't Dabo build Clemson with a lot of 3 and some 2 stars, yes there were some 4 stars in his classes but I think they evaluated well and built mostly out of 3s. I know today they're getting a lot of 4s and a few 5s, but they have arrived off 3s, I think, not sure.

wesleyd21

Dodd-Like
Oh, we are coming.

UNC came out strong cuz all they had to do is put the band back together. But it is never the same long-term. Clemson has done a lot of things right, but I think they jumped the shark, just like Bama jumped the shark. UNC and Clemson will fight over the same players.

We've got a strategy. I think it is sound. Georgia, Florida, and Texas, and anywhere else on a case basis. And historically if you look at our good teams they consistently outpaced the recruiting evaluations.
If Bama and Clemson both jumped the shark...

then I want us to go shark jumping.

aeromech

Dodd-Like
Good evaluation is how we have to do it, believe CGC and company are good at that, we will get there, we're coming. Straighten me out, but didn't Dabo build Clemson with a lot of 3 and some 2 stars, yes there were some 4 stars in his classes but I think they evaluated well and built mostly out of 3s. I know today they're getting a lot of 4s and a few 5s, but they have arrived off 3s, I think, not sure.
Consider yourself straightened out:

Only one was ranked higher. In 2008, Clemson finished with the No. 2 class.

Tommy Bowden was the head coach that season, but Dabo Swinney was an assistant on the staff and earned a reputation as one of the top recruiters in the nation. He changed the entire recruiting mentality, going after elite-level players and opening pipelines into strongholds in Florida. Swinney was responsible for 11 of the players in the highly regarded class of 2008.
https://www.espn.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/80070/a-look-back-at-clemsons-2008-class

gtchief

Not Wrong, Just An A******
Clemson went from a historically above average team like us to a juggernaut in just eight years. Geoff's first couple classes are shaping up to be rated just as highly as Dabo's when he took the reins. Transitive property tells me we will win it all in eight years

We have an annual litmus test against a championship program to see our progress, something that hasn't been on the schedule since pre-expansion FSU

aeromech

Dodd-Like
Clemson went from a historically above average team like us to a juggernaut in just eight years. Geoff's first couple classes are shaping up to be rated just as highly as Dabo's when he took the reins. Transitive property tells me we will win it all in eight years

We have an annual litmus test against a championship program to see our progress, something that hasn't been on the schedule since pre-expansion FSU
Hopefully, Dabo's classes went:
Year - National Rank
2006 - 14th {Dabo is recruiting coordinator since 2003}
2007 - 16th
2008 - 9th [Tommy Bowden resigns mid season]
2009 - 36th [Dabo's first true class]
2010 - 27th
2011 - 10th
2012 - 20th

Compare to CGC:
2018 - 44th
2019 - 50th [CPJ retires]
2020 - 27th [CGC first true class]
2021 - 26th?

What we need is some top 10 & top 20 classes to sprinkle in.

ramblin_wreck08

Class of 2012
Hopefully, Dabo's classes went:
Year - National Rank
2006 - 14th {Dabo is recruiting coordinator since 2003}
2007 - 16th
2008 - 9th [Tommy Bowden resigns mid season]
2009 - 36th [Dabo's first true class]
2010 - 27th
2011 - 10th
2012 - 20th

Compare to CGC:
2018 - 44th
2019 - 50th [CPJ retires]
2020 - 27th [CGC first true class]
2021 - 26th?

What we need is some top 10 & top 20 classes to sprinkle in.
What’s really telling for Clemson is a avg player rating. The class ranking tends to jump around a bit based on size.
Year - Avg 247 Composite
2006 - .8750
2007 - .8656
2008 - .8954
2009 - .8981
2010 - .8594
2011 - .8717
2012 - .8903

Compare to CGC:
2018 - .8523
2019 - .8553
2020 - .8721
2021 - .8601 (I fully expect this to improve before this class is finalized)

CGC is pulling classes in line with Dabo’s base. The key for Clemson was the abnormally good classes in ‘08/‘09 that really began to propel the program. Depth first, standout classes second, and the rest is history. We’re where Clemson was in ‘06/‘07 right now. Building depth and hopefully pulling in a .89+ class in the next couple of years.

GTLiebs

Dodd-Like

I feel like the bagmen must be a bigger part this time around. I really can't get what all the hype is about a coach that turned Texas mediocre out of a national title appearance. Only thing I can figure is that todays recruits remember him more for being an ESPN commentator than for washing out of Texas.

aeromech

Dodd-Like
I feel like the bagmen must be a bigger part this time around. I really can't get what all the hype is about a coach that turned Texas mediocre out of a national title appearance. Only thing I can figure is that todays recruits remember him more for being an ESPN commentator than for washing out of Texas.
To be fair, Mack Brown took over a 4-7 Texas team and won the National Championship 7 years later, then went back to the Title Game 4 years later and ended ranked 2nd in the Nation (if I remember his starting quarterback got injured in the 1st quarter). He built two National Championship caliber teams at Texas with completely new rosters. It isn't like he took over a championship team and drove it into mediocrity like you make it sound.

Techbert

Dodd-Like
To be fair, Mack Brown took over a 4-7 Texas team and won the National Championship 7 years later, then went back to the Title Game 4 years later and ended ranked 2nd in the Nation (if I remember his starting quarterback got injured in the 1st quarter). He built two National Championship caliber teams at Texas with completely new rosters. It isn't like he took over a championship team and drove it into mediocrity like you make it sound.
While true, there is NO college in the nation with more built-in advantages than UT-Austin. Not Notre Dame. Not Ohio State. And certainly not Alabama or Clemson. What you described is still an underachievement based on what should be baseline.