A New Season

We just played what amounts to our perfect game and lost. Do you really think we catch another top 10 team with unexpected schemes and looking to the sideline when we snap the ball, multiple turnover advantage, bad opposition QB play, and no missed FGs all in the same game this season?
You're only calling it "our perfect game" because you're still assuming that who we are is the team that lost to Northern Literally The Citadel, and there's really no sense in playing the rest of our games because we already know exactly how bad we are. The idea is that if we improve as the season progresses, we have the ability to hang with another top 10 team. If you're really just writing it off under the "unexpected schemes" thing, I dunno what to say.

We just played what amounts to our perfect game and lost. Do you really think we catch another top 10 team with unexpected schemes and looking to the sideline when we snap the ball, multiple turnover advantage, bad opposition QB play, and no missed FGs all in the same game this season?
ND is not top 10, don't care what their fake ranking currently is

The defense is better and we have the right people in the right spots now on defense - Swilling at CB and Thomas playing every down. We actually have a QB that plays smart and throw accurately. There are some things to be excited about like #88 growing up and others as well. If you want to complain, complain about the OC but all-in-all today was a very positive performance.

but all-in-all today was a very positive performance.
It makes me so happy that this is true. If I was sure any game this year would be demoralizing, it would have been Clemson. But as optimistic as I tried to be, I did not imagine any scenario where we were as competitive as we were today. It is very exciting.

FSU took a top 10 team to OT and just lost to WF 35-14. We didn't get to OT, so what makes you think this loss we just put up is any better than FSU?
I don’t really give a öööö about FSU. All I’m saying is this loss is a hell of a lot better than what I expected or what we have seen under CGC. It’s the first time we even competed against a good team, much less a great one.

I’m not saying this means we’re a lock for a bowl now. But before, I thought we were a lock to NOT make one. Now I’m not so sure. I at least have hope, which is something I haven’t had since CGC was hired.

I’m not saying this means we’re a lock for a bowl now. But before, I thought we were a lock to NOT make one. Now I’m not so sure. I at least have hope, which is something I haven’t had since CGC was hired.
For the last two years I've wondered whether the game which created hope for me would be a win or a loss. It seemed more likely to be a loss, but a day ago I wouldn't have picked the Clemson game as likely to have that outcome. And really it's the best case scenario. It's early in the season, we know now that we're capable of competing for 60 minutes against a team with top-flight talent and coaching, and hopefully we'll see improvement from here even if that doesn't mean we're going to win out.

Isn't there room for Us getting better and cleaning up some of the flawed things that we did vs Clemson?

You seem to assume that we will go downhill from here rather than us being able to improve on yesterday's effort

hmmm...lets talk after the UNC & Pitt games.... Clemson is retooling and may not win the ACC (very beatable this year)... UNC & Pitt are going to be the eye test for Georgia Tech...we win those two and there is a new season at 3-2.... lose those two and we are 1-4 and the NIU loss looks worse by the week with Wyoming and Michigan destroying NIU.

Was the loss better than I expected? Of course. Still though, moral victories are for teams that expect to lose. Moral victories are for losers.
We’re 7-18 under this regime. A victory is now defined as being within 2 TDs at the half. I know we had a lightning delay but we had reason to watch even after the fat girl would have been twirling the baton yesterday. That’s major progress with this outfit.

This level of play will win several games in the Coastal. Just have to bring it every week

This. If we play like this week to week, we can make a bowl. If we play like NIU, we finish 2-10.

What the Clemson game has shown is that we have the talent to compete in the coastal. That makes this year fair game to judge the staff.

This. If we play like this week to week, we can make a bowl. If we play like NIU, we finish 2-10.

What the Clemson game has shown is that we have the talent to compete in the coastal. That makes this year fair game to judge the staff.
Agree this is the first time it seems the coaching staff had a game plan

The only thing that tempers it a bit is the OL. They have to get better at least bit during the year or how well we do on offense will be more of a coin flip.

The only thing that tempers it a bit is the OL. They have to get better at least bit during the year or how well we do on offense will be more of a coin flip.
Yes, the OL execution on the shovel pass was horrible. Properly blocked, it is a TD

I’ve been saying for 2 years that wins and losses don’t matter. And I’ve been blasted for it. This year is no different. It’s about looking competent. The team, aka players look competent. The coaches do not. We just lost to a team that had the worst QB performance I’ve seen in a long time. Dude was flat garbage which is why Dabo went with the ”just run it at em” offense which kept the clock going. We have seen a huge upgrade in talent and players finally being put in the right spots. But until our staff isn’t staring at playsheets as the play clock runs we will continue to be our own worst enemy. Since we all know Collins isn’t going any where let’s hope they use the rest of this year to hone their in game skills so next year when we are the experienced team in the Coastal maybe we can create some magic.

We’re 7-18 under this regime. A victory is now defined as being within 2 TDs at the half. I know we had a lightning delay but we had reason to watch even after the fat girl would have been twirling the baton yesterday. That’s major progress with this outfit.
I guess we are different. No right or wrong. I've just never been happy about a loss, no matter how well played. If you go into a game expecting to lose, then most likely, you will.

Back