A thread about uga

I don't disagree at all with that. That's why assistant hire are just as important as a HC hire. Dabo is the same way. He is a goofy doofus "golly great shucks almighty" when a microphone is in his face, lol. Dude hasn't had 1 soundbite that makes you think "man, he knows his stuff" but rather rah rah rag cheerleader type. He simply made great hires at OC and DC, got a few elite players to buy into the Holy Dabo Cult nonsense and they won 2 titles. His hires also stuck around a loooooooong time which is rare.

I've had 2 recruits I knew personally though family friendships, both OL, that were recruited by Dabo, Richt & Kirby, give us the run down on how each ran their programs. One signed with Ugag but has since transferred under Kirby, the other went to Auburn when Dabo & Richt recruited him.

Dabo: full of öööö, easy to tell he's a fraud and the whole "family & christ" narrative is forced and not genuine. Felt like a charade display around the program where everyone knew their role to play

Richt: personable, christ driven which was genuine, but not focused much on the football aspect. Felt like a country club atmosphere.

Kirby: business like with a personable side. Everything is regimented & structured. Pushes NFL $$$ & development as a selling point.

I believe CBK is a mix of Richt & Kirby. You can tell he is very structured and detailed in his coaching and our team played like it when he took over, but he also has the personable side to him that kids gravitate towards. I was skeptical of his permanent hiring as HC but the more I see and hear about the program, I believe he is the right man for our program. He is a Tech guy 100% just as Kirby is a Ugag guy 100%.
I think negative recruiting is big with Kirby. He's telling all these kids that would have gone to Bama to come to Athens because Saban is on his way out.

What Kirby has done is simple - he has flipped the narrative between Georgia and Alabama. Georgia was once a school loaded with talent and potential that should compete at the highest level. Alabama had an embarrassment of riches; talent that had remarkable depth at almost every position. They became almost unbeatable. Georgia was very, very good. Alabama was great, at a higher level.

That narrative is now reversed. Maybe because Kirby is younger, Athens is more attractive than Tuscaloosa, and there is deeper talent in Georgia than Alabama, who knows? Saban has not found a way in NIL to keep five and four star underclassmen in back-up roles from entering the portal. And, Kirby has fewer chances to trip up with easy schedules due to not playing too many challenging out of conference games and the weakness of the SEC East. Auburn and Mississippi State are picked at the bottom of the West. They are as good as Tennessee and better than Kentucky, Florida and South Carolina. Smart paid attention and learned a lot under Saban. It shows.

Turning it back around will get Saban’s full attention. Georgia was always seen as underperforming even as they won nine to ten games a year. They have every advantage in the world. What needs to happen is for another Saban disciple to come in and flip the narrative on Kirby, someone in the talent rich Georgia area. Someone like Brent Key.

I think Kirby made a BIG mistake in hiring back Bobo as OC. IMO, that's going from the penthouse to the basement between seasons. I hope I am right and that Bobo exposes the real Kirby Smart....a non-coach
He's a huge downgrade from Monken who IMO was the real reason for their level of success the past 2 years. Bobo is certainly not as his level and they are unlikely to find anyone who is.

He's a huge downgrade from Monken who IMO was the real reason for their level of success the past 2 years. Bobo is certainly not as his level and they are unlikely to find anyone who is.
You gotta think that Kirby had to want Faulkner, but since he had already left for the Flats, getting him back could have really created a brouhaha

Paul Johnson once told my golfing buddy “UGA is the easiest coaching job in the country.”

Its certainly is, no doubt about that all. Thats why they were always referred to as a "sleeping giant".....

I think negative recruiting is big with Kirby. He's telling all these kids that would have gone to Bama to come to Athens because Saban is on his way out.

Yep. According to my Dwag Uncle who in the off-season is actually decent to deal with, lol, Kirby has hammered the "age" of Saban and his staff turnover as well "look at all the defensive players we've sent to league"........Kids are very impressionable then end up riding the bench.

I think Kirby made a BIG mistake in hiring back Bobo as OC. IMO, that's going from the penthouse to the basement between seasons. I hope I am right and that Bobo exposes the real Kirby Smart....a non-coach

This is 1b to the 1a issue in Stetson not being their QB anymore as the reasons I think they lose 2-3 games even with a soft as babyshit schedule. Im not sold on that Beck dude or whomever the 2 backups are. My Uncle thinks thet dont skip a beat with Beck, but thats expected from him. Bobo had some good offenses for them before & didnt have the talent he has now outsid of RB and QB, but the game usually passes those guys by in their 2nd stint. I expect them to chunk it more downfield if my Uncle is correct. He's fairly plugged in with their program.

You gotta think that Kirby had to want Faulkner, but since he had already left for the Flats, getting him back could have really created a brouhaha

According to my Uncle, Faulkner knew Bobo was brought back to be the OC when the inevitable happened in Monken moving on. Faulkner was a Monken guy too and Monken had 1 foot out the door before the playoffs supposedly.

Georgia will be just as good because they don't play anybody. They contrived the schedule with the league to actually only play one or two games a year because the past few years Auburn sucked, Tennessee is building and decent, and Florida has not been the old Florida. Vandy, Missouri, and even S Carolina have gone through turmoil and down time. And we don't need to mention our cluster f* here. UT Martin, Ball State and UAB this year, No Alabama, No LSU, Not even A&M or Ole Miss. It's a joke. They own the SEC office, so yes, they will likely be well prepared for their 2 game season in the CFP.

But remember…the journalists who cover these stories are the real problem over there.

What Kirby has done is simple - he has flipped the narrative between Georgia and Alabama. Georgia was once a school loaded with talent and potential that should compete at the highest level. Alabama had an embarrassment of riches; talent that had remarkable depth at almost every position. They became almost unbeatable. Georgia was very, very good. Alabama was great, at a higher level.

That narrative is now reversed. Maybe because Kirby is younger, Athens is more attractive than Tuscaloosa, and there is deeper talent in Georgia than Alabama, who knows? Saban has not found a way in NIL to keep five and four star underclassmen in back-up roles from entering the portal. And, Kirby has fewer chances to trip up with easy schedules due to not playing too many challenging out of conference games and the weakness of the SEC East. Auburn and Mississippi State are picked at the bottom of the West. They are as good as Tennessee and better than Kentucky, Florida and South Carolina. Smart paid attention and learned a lot under Saban. It shows.

Turning it back around will get Saban’s full attention. Georgia was always seen as underperforming even as they won nine to ten games a year. They have every advantage in the world. What needs to happen is for another Saban disciple to come in and flip the narrative on Kirby, someone in the talent rich Georgia area. Someone like Brent Key.

Another big factor is by however means it worked out as such, Richt had a tendency to flop games just short of the highest success. Did it at UGA and did it at Miami. Maybe part of flipping the narrative was Kirby just needing to show he won't trip over his own dick before the finish line.

Georgia will be just as good because they don't play anybody. They contrived the schedule with the league to actually only play one or two games a year because the past few years Auburn sucked, Tennessee is building and decent, and Florida has not been the old Florida. Vandy, Missouri, and even S Carolina have gone through turmoil and down time. And we don't need to mention our cluster f* here. UT Martin, Ball State and UAB this year, No Alabama, No LSU, Not even A&M or Ole Miss. It's a joke. They own the SEC office, so yes, they will likely be well prepared for their 2 game season in the CFP.
Their schedule sucks but they do play Ole Miss.

My cousin (who used to write for the Savannah Morning News sports section) said 2 years ago: “it feels like uga is selling its soul to win a national championship”.

He’s a big uga guy FYI
Meanwhile we beclowned ourselves for 3-win seasons. Which is better than selling our soul I guess

Lol. No chance any journalist goes after UGA again. Not worth the risk.
Bradley has surprisingly weighed in on the mess in Athens a couple of times. I doubt he will be cowed by the antics of the mutt defenders or AJC management, nor do I think that AJC management would touch him

Academics keep Smart off Dodd award's watch list

COLLEGE FOOTBALL

Marc Weiszer
Athens Banner Herald USA TODAY NETWORK
College football’s preseason watch list rollout, for those who follow such things, will get cranked up next week.
There will be 16 different awards sending names of candidates to reporters’ inboxes and posting on social media between July 31-Aug. 14.
Some have already trickled out. Any list of top college football coaches in the nation has to include the one who just won the last two national titles, right?
Well, not in the case of the Dodd Trophy preseason watch list that came out this month for the award that goes to the nation’s top coach.
Twenty-one coaches are on the list. Georgia coach Kirby Smart isn’t on there.
What gives? “Since one of the main pillars of The Dodd Trophy focuses on scholarship, coaches named to this year’s preseason watch list were required to have an APR higher than 980,” spokesman Dillon Faulkner said via email . “UGA’s APR was under 980 so that’s why he wasn’t included this go-around.”
APR is the NCAA’s Academic Progress Rate which aims to provide a real-time snapshot of a team’s path towards players graduating, using eligibility and retention of each player.
Georgia’s single-year APR for 2021 was 975 and its multi-year rate was 965.
Other coaches that didn’t make the watch list because their teams didn’t hit the 980 APR included Tennessee’s Josh Heupel (968 for 2021) and Penn State’s James Franklin (914).
The award is presented by The Bob-
by Dodd Coach of the Year Foundation and Peach Bowl, Inc. in Atlanta.
Tulane’s Willie Fritz won the award last season when Smart was a finalist.
Award watch lists typically are generous with the number of names on the list.
Like most preseason watch lists, being named to it ultimately doesn’t matter much.
Smart and the others not on the list are still eligible to win the award come the end of the season.

If we have tremendous success on offense with Faulkner, how do we keep him?

Moving on to the next job isn't always about $$$. But we would have to move on if he chose to do so. Makes me thing the co-OC title for Weinke might be a bit of a mentorship situation. If things work out and Buster moves on, Weinke is right there.

Back