Aaron Philo

If he doesn't sign with Tech, I will feel low. It would probably mean somebody offered him more dough.

1702396692261.png
say it ain't sough, my too negative brough

If you want an honest answer:

1) he plays at a very low classification. That wasn’t true of Trevor. Was of Vandergriff but with the way he didn’t succeed at UGA might have hurt Philo

2) To be super critical: He doesn’t seem to have an NFL type arm or athleticism. It doesn’t wow you.

Now I’m sure he can improve and have little doubt he can be a successful college QB. Most college QBs aren’t close to NFL caliber.

He does everything else you want out of a QB. Makes quick decisions, handles the ball well, makes throws to all levels.

Tiny hands. Bad throwing motion. Weak jawline.

2-star project.

Maybe he will be great, maybe he won't. There are a lot of players who put up numbers in high school that don't translate to a higher level of play. I don't know much about him, but perhaps he doesn't project as a great athlete. Perhaps his arm is average. There could be a lot of reasons. How many NCAA QBs put up playstation numbers only to never be heard of in the NFL. Think the same thing.

I understand he plays in lower class HS division but still. Kid just broke all time GA passing record previously held by Trevor Lawrence. Also, his predecessor at same high-school, Brock Vandagriff, was a 5* recruit.
He’s probably on the small side and doesn’t have tremendous speed or a cannon arm.

The star system is made for guys who peruse the internet all day long and argue about recruiting and get hung up on which 17 year old kid from New Jersey or somewhere is better than the 17 year old kid in California. Yes, there is a top tier of can't misses, but the "system" is set up so Sports Illustrated and ESPN can grab some more clicks. Remember when Georgia supposedly had top recruiting classes and Spurrier and Florida beat their ass something like 19 out of 20? Recently, look at A&M, loaded with 5 stars and the program is in shambles. I'd be happy with this kid even if the know it alls had him at one star. Who cares.

So funny how many of you are scared that I'm revealing some great hidden gem and now all of the sudden Alabama is going to come knocking. Typical GT fan reaction..

You were 12 hours behind RaiderJacket with your "reveal" and there's really no upside in one, much less two, threads touting the guy before he signs his LOI.

Philo played at Class A and dominated.
Others who dominated Class A football in Georgia?
The many faces of Herschel
George Rogers
Champ Bailey

Still, not an indicator of how he will perform at Tech. He doesn't have to be Lawrence (and Cartersville was quad A when Lawrence took the Purple Hurricane to back to back titles). Just find a way to win. He's done that in high school.

Maybe he will be great, maybe he won't. There are a lot of players who put up numbers in high school that don't translate to a higher level of play. I don't know much about him, but perhaps he doesn't project as a great athlete. Perhaps his arm is average. There could be a lot of reasons. How many NCAA QBs put up playstation numbers only to never be heard of in the NFL. Think the same thing.

OTOH Jeff Sims had some real ööööty HS numbers.

OTOH Jeff Sims had some real ööööty HS numbers.
That was the hallmark of Geoff recruiting. 4* skill players who didn't produce in high school and big linemen who play soft. Yay, we got this great WR who averaged 1 catch per game in high school. Woo freaking hoo.

Just for reference, Joe Hamilton was listed as 5'10" and 190. Just sayin'. If you look at AP's film, he has fluidity and a knack for hitting receivers in stride and accurately. That's why he's got gaudy numbers. I can't wait for him to sign and get on campus. We need guys like that after H King leaves.

He’s basing it on the fact that Philo is a 3* despite holding all the state records, while Vandagriff at the same school vs the same competition was a 5*.

If he does end up signing with us I think we have an absolute 'steal' from a recruitment standpoint. We've NEVER had a QB like that with those stats that beat all of those guys (Lawrence, etc.) statistically speaking. That list is a 'who's who' in terms of top flite QBs in GA over the last 10 years. It's not just his senior year, he has put up these numbers since playing varsity. Had he been an inch or two taller he would have garnered serious looks from other factory programs I think. Here's to him signing next week :)

He’s basing it on the fact that Philo is a 3* despite holding all the state records, while Vandagriff at the same school vs the same competition was a 5*.
some of that stuff is also based on what camps they go or get invited to and how they do there. Vandagriff being a coach's son probably didn't hurt his stock when it came time for camp invites is my guess.

Back