ACC ded

GTCrew

Patrick Henry
Clemson is the best team in the country, but I honestly don't have a problem with their spot in the rankings at this point. Eventually the SEC and B1G teams will cannibalize each other and Clemson will end up in the top 2 or 3.

I'm more concerned with the fact that Utah/Oregon/Oklahoma/Baylor could go 12-1 and win their conference and get left out for some ööööty SEC team that didn't even win its own division, much less the conference.
Its bullshit. They are obviously the best team and deserve to be ranked #1. Like 24 straight wins.

Alabama used to come in off a championship to have seasons where they didnt blow out every team and they still got ranked #1. People said "they are #1 until somebody beats em".

Tampa Jacket

Helluva Engineer
No playoffs. New Big 12

OSU#1 is a joke
I don’t like OSU. But I think they win it all this year. They haven’t played a tough schedule, but they’ve been dominant. Huge lines of scrimmage. And they have What I believe is the best dual threat QB in CFB.
OSU would kill UGA.

JoeCakeEater

Dodd-Like
This is done in a stupid way to create controversy and get people talking about it. All you sheeple are arguing about it right now. Victory for the CFP committee.

Flywheel

Wait, what year is it?
They know Lsu plays Alabama and nohio plays Pedo st. They are just selling the drama
This right here. The committee exists not to make a fair ranking but to optimize profits (which is why they have no leg to stand on about not paying players).

They said for years and years a playoff would hurt the students' final exams, and then after the BCS coughed up a Bama-LSU rematch that no one watched, the playoff was instituted within a year. Their first order of business: block out AP #3 TCU to make room for Ohio State. It's as obvious as obvious can be.

The playoff should have kept the BCS formula and taken the top 4 conference champions, the end.

GTWannaBee

Dodd-Like
May future generations only laugh at us when they look back at this era of people taking as much pride in their conference as their team.
It worked for the SEC. They sold it the people. They screamed it loud enough and long enough that the people bought it. They sold it until it eventually came true.

daBuzz

Dodd-Like
This is fake none sense. OSU plays PSU. Bama plays LSU. If those two matchups were not on deck, Clemson would be properly ranked. This is purely made up drama to sell hype.
I agree with the first statement but I disagree with the second one. My more cynical view says there is more to it than trying to generate hype. By putting 2 SEC and 2 Big 10 teams in the top 4, it makes it easier to move the losers of those 2 games back up into the top 4 after those games are played.

For example, a close game between LSU and Bama but with Bama losing, they'll drop Bama to 5 or 6 and move Clemson up into the top 4. Then, by the time the actual playoffs come around, you'll hear Herbie and others at ESPN playing up, "Well, you can't leave Bama out of the playoffs. When they lost to LSU, Tua was playing on a hurt ankle but he's healthy now!".

I mean, we have literally seen that pretty much every single year since they came up with the 4-team playoff.

BuzzFeitenSystem

It’s Raining BigCrys
Clemson has 9 wins everyone else has 8. Belong at #1 obv

AP poll has Bama and LSU #1 and #2 right before their game :bfd:

That matchup sells ratings better than #3 vs #5 etc

GTCrew

Patrick Henry
I agree with the first statement but I disagree with the second one. My more cynical view says there is more to it than trying to generate hype. By putting 2 SEC and 2 Big 10 teams in the top 4, it makes it easier to move the losers of those 2 games back up into the top 4 after those games are played.

For example, a close game between LSU and Bama but with Bama losing, they'll drop Bama to 5 or 6 and move Clemson up into the top 4. Then, by the time the actual playoffs come around, you'll hear Herbie and others at ESPN playing up, "Well, you can't leave Bama out of the playoffs. When they lost to LSU, Tua was playing on a hurt ankle but he's healthy now!".

I mean, we have literally seen that pretty much every single year since they came up with the 4-team playoff.
Bingo. The
I think they deserve the number 1 ranking and i also HOPE Ugag does not make the playoff.
IIWII. If UGA wins the SECCG they get in.

If LSU or BAMA only loses to the other, then UGA cant get in with 2 losses even if the rest of the one loss teams implode. No way they can put 3 SEC teams in. So it is best if those two win out after their game.

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
Its bullshit. They are obviously the best team and deserve to be ranked #1. Like 24 straight wins.

Alabama used to come in off a championship to have seasons where they didnt blow out every team and they still got ranked #1. People said "they are #1 until somebody beats em".
Clemson has a QB who has only lost one game all the way back to the 7th grade

eneq

Junior Varsity Lurker
Why is OSU getting all of this love? Who have they played? If you go by big wins against inferior opponents then Clemson and Alabama should be in the top 4 as well.

I think Clemson and LSU are clearly 1 and 2. Then, Bama, OSU, and PSU round out the 5 in some order.

GTCrew

Patrick Henry
Why is OSU getting all of this love? Who have they played? If you go by big wins against inferior opponents then Clemson and Alabama should be in the top 4 as well.

I think Clemson and LSU are clearly 1 and 2. Then, Bama, OSU, and PSU round out the 5 in some order.
Because people who know football look at more than just the score and see a very talented team playing very well?

Hdgtfan

Varsity Lurker
I already am hearing undefeated Alabama vs 1 loss UGAg in the SECC game. UGAg beats Bama so 1 loss LSU (assume loss to Bama), Alabama, and UGAg all make playoffs with Ohio State
Ugh, please don’t let this happen, anything to keep Ugag is all I care about, having them come up short as odd man out would be GREAT!

79tech

Damn Good Rat
This is truly fake news and meaningless but if I were on the Committee
1. Ohio St - their dominance has been truly impressive
2. Clemson - they are an undefeated reigning champion - enough said
3. Alabama - schedule hurts to date but with wins over LSU and Auburn - could jump the top 2
4. LSU - played several close games - Texas, Auburn, Florida - I don't see them being above Clemson and Alabama until they beat one of them or dominate opponents
5. Penn State - nice team but they also have had some close games - Pitt was right with them until made a stupid decision to kick a FG on the 1 - and missed. Others have scared them including Michigan.

daBuzz

Dodd-Like
Because people who know football look at more than just the score and see a very talented team playing very well?
That's the argument I hear every year for Ohio State...and then they start playing the Michigans, Penn States, and Iowas at the end of the year, along with the Big 10 championship. And most years, they lose one or more of those games.

Don't get me wrong...I think they're pretty good. But they really haven't played anybody yet who tested them. I think they'd get boatraced by Clemson, LSU or Bama.

Deke

Everybody relax, I'm here.
They're murdering everyone in their path, including a ranked Wisconsin and Cincinnati (the combined scores of those games are 80-7). I honestly don't know how I'd rank the top 5 teams right now, but I can certainly see an argument for them being where they are.

79tech

Damn Good Rat
Allstate Playoff Predictor
TEAM (RECORD) MAKE PLAYOFF WIN TITLE
Ohio State (8-0)
85% 36%
Clemson (9-0) 74% 19%
Alabama (8-0) 72% 22%
LSU (8-0) 56% 10%
Penn State (8-0) 51% 8%
Oregon (8-1) 25% 2%
Georgia (7-1) 14% 2%
Oklahoma (7-1) 9% 1%
Utah (8-1) 6% <1%
Auburn (7-2) 3% <1%
Baylor (8-0) 2% <1%

GTCrew

Patrick Henry
That's the argument I hear every year for Ohio State...and then they start playing the Michigans, Penn States, and Iowas at the end of the year, along with the Big 10 championship. And most years, they lose one or more of those games.

Don't get me wrong...I think they're pretty good. But they really haven't played anybody yet who tested them. I think they'd get boatraced by Clemson, LSU or Bama.
I recall them regularly being placed below SEC teams. Am I wrong? This year their star power (at this stage of the season) is impressive too. That probably shouldnt factor in, but it always does.

daBuzz

Dodd-Like
I recall them regularly being placed below SEC teams. Am I wrong? This year their star power (at this stage of the season) is impressive too. That probably shouldnt factor in, but it always does.
I don't know. Perhaps it's just bias in my mind but I just know that most years, they're automatically put into the top 4 early in the season and they seem to stay up in the top 10 or so even after they lose a couple of games.

I know I'm cynical but I always figured it was Kirk Herbstreit with his finger on the button. :)