ACC goes all in - Keep 4 Team Playoff they say

manjano mdudu

Varsity Lurker
Does extending the season significantly or somewhat really matter? How do the Div. 2 and Div. 3 handle this?
Ask the players….Clemson’s guys have already chimed in on it saying that many games is not their preference. Injuries are a huge part of the game. This many games on very young unpaid players could easily award a championship based on attrition. Losing the right guys and every team becomes a shell of itself. Sure, we could ignore the issue, but a 12 game regular season, conference championship, and then 3-4 more playoff games without a source for replacements due to injuries, especially with depth limited by scholarship number restrictions can create a perilous situation.

midatlantech

Dodd-Like
Ask the players….Clemson’s guys have already chimed in on it saying that many games is not their preference. Injuries are a huge part of the game. This many games on very young unpaid players could easily award a championship based on attrition. Losing the right guys and every team becomes a shell of itself. Sure, we could ignore the issue, but a 12 game regular season, conference championship, and then 3-4 more playoff games without a source for replacements due to injuries, especially with depth limited by scholarship number restrictions can create a perilous situation.
Yes and remember that NIL allows teams to pay players to be walkons. Now Bama can recruit top recruits up to 105 players or whatever the maximum is these days. It's coming and it's going to get worse.

A&M hasn't won a NC for 85 years, now they are just going to purchase one or two.....

Liberty

Kayar hunu bhanda marnu ramro
There’s only 2 things I know about all of the above:

a. The ACC will either make a poor choice or will fail to act when it’s patently obvious to the most casual observer resulting in a poor choice
b. GT will equal the ACC in its collective ineptness when it comes to deciding what to do

OptionJacket

Damn Good Rat
And not one of those Clemson players will have to deal with this because they’ll all be gone so their words don’t matter. Players have to realize they have zero power or leverage. With players leaving early and transferring they have even less power. Fans only care about the name on the front of the jersey, as it should be. The schools owe the players absolutely nothing outside of honoring the scholarship. And the players owe the school absolutely nothing. No one in the decision making process will take any stock into anything a player says because players are irrelevant and easily replaceable. And whatever good will the players have today will be eroded because of their use of the portal. Fans will grow frustrated and will come to see the players in a negative. This ride is just starting so buckle up.

midatlantech

Dodd-Like
And not one of those Clemson players will have to deal with this because they’ll all be gone so their words don’t matter. Players have to realize they have zero power or leverage. With players leaving early and transferring they have even less power. Fans only care about the name on the front of the jersey, as it should be. The schools owe the players absolutely nothing outside of honoring the scholarship. And the players owe the school absolutely nothing. No one in the decision making process will take any stock into anything a player says because players are irrelevant and easily replaceable. And whatever good will the players have today will be eroded because of their use of the portal. Fans will grow frustrated and will come to see the players in a negative. This ride is just starting so buckle up.
Interesting take on this, as more and more players jump through the portals, the teams become less and less "family" and the players as a group lose in the end. I think this is true and another reason why Tech has to wake up and play the game more. The players wanted money, they got it. They wanted flexibility, they got it. But it puts pressure on programs now and the program has to play the game more: overrecruit and occasionally deal with it, etc.

ElCidBUZZingFAN

Dodd-Like
My understanding was it took at least three no votes to keep us out. It seems like either Bama or Auburn voted against us. I never understood why we scheduled Ole Miss recently given this history.
Someone can correct me, but you have the general basis right. I think it took 4 to keep us out.

Mississippi schools were a No for the reasons stated (we wouldn't ever play them at their joints). UGA was a No for obvious reasons. Dodd thought he had the Bear in his pocket, but when the time came to vote, Bama was a No.

That's what I recall of my Tech history without looking anything up.

midatlantech

Dodd-Like
Someone can correct me, but you have the general basis right. I think it took 4 to keep us out.

Mississippi schools were a No for the reasons stated (we wouldn't ever play them at their joints). UGA was a No for obvious reasons. Dodd thought he had the Bear in his pocket, but when the time came to vote, Bama was a No.

That's what I recall of my Tech history without looking anything up.
Miss schools were pissed that Dodd would never book them in Atlanta. We were the biggest money maker in the south. Miss schools wanted in on that. Bear Bryant screwed us.

THWG247

Jolly Good Fellow
Miss schools were pissed that Dodd would never book them in Atlanta. We were the biggest money maker in the south. Miss schools wanted in on that. Bear Bryant screwed us.
We screwed ourselves by getting out in the first place

daBuzz

Dodd-Like
The 4 team argument vs 8 really comes down to 2 things, in my mind.

For: doesn't it seem right that as a P5 Conf Champ you should have the right to compete for the Natty? Every other sport does.

Against: Thus far, the average Seed 1 vs Seed 4 game has been an average margin of just over 20 points. What's 1 vs 8 going to be, 35 point margins?
Ever considered that maybe they haven't actually really been picking the 4 best teams all the years and that has contributed to the margins of victory? And if the delta really is that large, then so be it. But let them play it on the field. If you don't want to watch the games, don't.

But this past weekend's NFL games was one of the best weekends of football I've ever watched. The lower ranked team but the higher ranked team every game except the last...and the lead changed in that one like 3 times in the last 2 minutes. And I realize that's NFL, not college, but I can guarantee you that there will be years that the #8 team will knock off the #1 team or 7 beats 2, etc. And that makes for great football.

OptionJacket

Damn Good Rat
Interesting take on this, as more and more players jump through the portals, the teams become less and less "family" and the players as a group lose in the end. I think this is true and another reason why Tech has to wake up and play the game more. The players wanted money, they got it. They wanted flexibility, they got it. But it puts pressure on programs now and the program has to play the game more: overrecruit and occasionally deal with it, etc.
Folks need to think forward. My takes is easy to see coming true. As players use the portal the fans will turn against them. Right now we are still in the infancy stage of the portal and players sitting out. Give it 3 more years and all the good will players have will be gone because fans will be tired of the portal and players skipping games. Just wait until we finally make a bowl game and our QB decides to sit out (not saying it will happen but it definitely could because by year 3 or 4 the players listen to scouts more than their coaches). As you noted, the players won on the fronts of immediate transfers and NIL. Good for them. The ones who make the NFL will win in any situation. But the players as a whole will soon see the wrath of fans in ways they can’t even imagine. Use Burton who just left UGA for Bama. To Bama, he’s just another cog in the machine and no one in Tuscaloosa will remember him in 5 years. But he just destroyed his entire legacy at UGA, not so much because of the transfer but to where he went. And that will follow him if he doesn’t make the NFL.

I have no problem with the players doing what they are doing and I will have no problems with what different schools decide to do in the future. I have long come to the conclusion that college football is just a business so I’ve never bought into this fools idea that we have “student-athletes”. I took many classes with the 1990 hoopsters and that opened my eyes big time about college athletics and even our dear ole GT and “standards”. That’s why I wish GT would stop doing it half way. Spend the money and get us a few Cams and Roquans and let’s turn our reputation around.