ACC new incentive initiative starting 2024-25 academic year.

Nehru Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Harken, oh Magnificent Seven! Your ambitions are known to us, and your plans do not go unnoticed. Be warned, for Georgia Tech stands resolute against your efforts to dismantle the Atlantic Coast Conference. We shall not allow you to tear apart the very fabric of our league without a fight.

You may see us as weak, isolated, and easily overcome. But such assumptions would be folly, for we possess a strength that cannot be measured solely by wins and losses. Our history is steeped in innovation, ingenuity, and grit, qualities which have carried us through trials far greater than any conference realignment could pose.

Know that we will not sit idly by while you attempt to shift the balance of power. We shall take action, swift and decisive, to protect what we hold dear. Do not test our mettle unless you are prepared to face the full brunt of our wrath.

In the end, it is not numbers nor resources that matter most, but heart and soul. And on those counts, Georgia Tech shall always triumph. This is not just a threat, but a promise.

Therefore, consider wisely your next move, for it may determine the fate of your alliance, as well as the future of the ACC itself. Heed our words, oh Magnificent Seven, for we shall not tolerate your meddling. Respect our boundaries, or beware the sting of our scorn.
I bet the magnificent 7 are sorry now that we have uncovered their plan.

gtleviathan

Dodd-Like
Harken, oh Magnificent Seven! Your ambitions are known to us, and your plans do not go unnoticed. Be warned, for Georgia Tech stands resolute against your efforts to dismantle the Atlantic Coast Conference. We shall not allow you to tear apart the very fabric of our league without a fight.

You may see us as weak, isolated, and easily overcome. But such assumptions would be folly, for we possess a strength that cannot be measured solely by wins and losses. Our history is steeped in innovation, ingenuity, and grit, qualities which have carried us through trials far greater than any conference realignment could pose.

Know that we will not sit idly by while you attempt to shift the balance of power. We shall take action, swift and decisive, to protect what we hold dear. Do not test our mettle unless you are prepared to face the full brunt of our wrath.

In the end, it is not numbers nor resources that matter most, but heart and soul. And on those counts, Georgia Tech shall always triumph. This is not just a threat, but a promise.

Therefore, consider wisely your next move, for it may determine the fate of your alliance, as well as the future of the ACC itself. Heed our words, oh Magnificent Seven, for we shall not tolerate your meddling. Respect our boundaries, or beware the sting of our scorn.
Cavman, is that you?

manjano mdudu

Varsity Lurker
Since a change in the allocation only shifts funds to teams at the the top, it also means that going forward, we should expect less than now, absent some enormous change in our football fortunes. With the conference already being assured of earning a fraction of the Power 2 Conferences, the new ACC allocation development is only newsworthy at it simply means that our gap in revenue is only going to now be larger. Why would the lower tier ACC schools vote for that? And while some might say that we're competitive in other sports, the massive revenue divide we're on the verge of facing as we look across the collegiate landscape assuredly will show itself in available resources flowing to non-revenue sports.
Almost seems like we're going to have to consider different divisions at some point. Winning championships is fun, regardless of if you're a AAAAAA school or AAA, to use a high school comparison.

juraitwaluzka

Dodd-Like
Since a change in the allocation only shifts funds to teams at the the top, it also means that going forward, we should expect less than now, absent some enormous change in our football fortunes. With the conference already being assured of earning a fraction of the Power 2 Conferences, the new ACC allocation development is only newsworthy at it simply means that our gap in revenue is only going to now be larger. Why would the lower tier ACC schools vote for that? And while some might say that we're competitive in other sports, the massive revenue divide we're on the verge of facing as we look across the collegiate landscape assuredly will show itself in available resources flowing to non-revenue sports.
Almost seems like we're going to have to consider different divisions at some point. Winning championships is fun, regardless of if you're a AAAAAA school or AAA, to use a high school comparison.
Case in point, the 90s Atlanta Knights IHL championship clincher at the Omni was the most electric sporting event I've ever attended, the place was full to the top and everyone was amped up. It was glorious. My ticket was $12.

andrew

Bobby Bonilla's Financial Planner
Why would the lower tier ACC schools vote for that?
Probably a concession to try to keep the conference together, because the lower tier schools are worried about being left out in the cold should the conference dissolve.

Not saying it will work but I'm guessing that's why.

GTLiebs

Dodd-Like
Probably a concession to try to keep the conference together, because the lower tier schools are worried about being left out in the cold should the conference dissolve.

Not saying it will work but I'm guessing that's why.
The thing is, this probably makes those schools more likely to be left out. If anything, it could raise the bar on what schools are left out depending on how the money gets shifted and now I wonder a little bit if that's the point and the teams expected to benefit from this want to try to burn the conference down faster.

Nehru Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
The thing is, this probably makes those schools more likely to be left out. If anything, it could raise the bar on what schools are left out depending on how the money gets shifted and now I wonder a little bit if that's the point and the teams expected to benefit from this want to try to burn the conference down faster.
The schools are going to do what’s best monetarily for themselves, they don’t care about the consequences for their conference. It reminds me of people acting like certain politicians are going to what’s best for their party. They don’t care about their party they care about themselves and rightfully so.

juraitwaluzka

Dodd-Like
The schools are going to do what’s best monetarily for themselves, they don’t care about the consequences for their conference. It reminds me of people acting like certain politicians are going to what’s best for their party. They don’t care about their party they care about themselves and rightfully so.
Rightfully would mean they care about their constituents. I'll take the under on that.

GTFLETCH

Dodd-Like
From the link below: the implementation of the success incentives will come solely from the performance of teams in revenue generating postseason competition. All other revenues will continue to be equally shared as currently outlined.

CFB: $64.5M and would be divided among 9 to 11 teams each year (call it 10), for around $6.5 million each, on average.
MBB: $30M and would be divided among 5 teams $6 million each, on average

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
Since 2015 Clemson has won the ACC football championship every year except 2021 in which Pittsburgh won. If I was Pittsburgh I would be offended that I wasn’t considered one of the magnificent 7.
But that 1982 UNC championship tho....

And remember 9-0 NC State getting their ass handed to them by us?

77GTFan

Dodd-Like
But that 1982 UNC championship tho....

It was actually 1980 when UNC last won the ACC. NCState last won in ‘79. Those programs were great in the seven team ACC with coaches like the late Bo Rein and Dick Crum. Those titles 43 and 44 years ago are certainly more than enough to include them in a magnificent 7 clamoring for more than equal piece of revenue.

Nehru Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
It was actually 1980 when UNC last won the ACC. NCState last won in ‘79. Those programs were great in the seven team ACC with coaches like the late Bo Rein and Dick Crum. Those titles 43 and 44 years ago are certainly more than enough to include them in a magnificent 7 clamoring for more than equal piece of revenue.
Somebody has to explain Virginia’s membership in this mythical magnificent 7. I’ve learned from 1982 that Tech graduates are smarter so I looked on the google machine for what the historical records are for Virginia and Georgia Tech football. Since joining the ACC Tech’s record in ACC football is .531 and overall .538. Virginia’s ACC football record is .409 and overall .446. Somebody explain to this sidewalk fan why we are out and Virginia is in.

KingsGambit

Varsity Lurker
Somebody has to explain Virginia’s membership in this mythical magnificent 7. I’ve learned from 1982 that Tech graduates are smarter so I looked on the google machine for what the historical records are for Virginia and Georgia Tech football. Since joining the ACC Tech’s record in ACC football is .531 and overall .538. Virginia’s ACC football record is .409 and overall .446. Somebody explain to this sidewalk fan why we are out and Virginia is in.
It's all about getting into new markets. The SEC and BigI would love to gain a big foothold in the states of Virginia and North Carolina. Two growing population states that ensures higher premium sales of Big Ten Network or the SEC Network. From my understanding both of these networks get a small lower rate if in a state without an actual team in those conferences and a premium price if the state has a team for that network. So getting into N.Carolina and Virginia means a lot more $. UVA is likely the 2nd biggest prize behind North Carolina and also the reason why Clempsum and Free Shoes U are lower in the pecking order. Neither really enhances the SEC footprint and they are beneath the academic standards that the Big I generally looks for.

vapspwi

Dodd-Like
I was at that game and witnessed one of my all-time favorite smack talk moments.

Some Tech fan had brought printouts saying “9-1” in big text. People were waving them around and celebrating on the way out of the stadium, and a pissed off NCSU fan asked “Oh yeah, well what’s your record?”

To which the Tech fan replied “It’s 1 and 0 against you, baby!”

Savage.

JRjr

juraitwaluzka

Dodd-Like
Dick Crum? It would be impossible to fail with a coach named Dick Crum. Brent Key should legally change his name to Dick Crum today.

gtGreg768b

Elemenopee
Basketball