ACC power rankings

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
Not exactly a repost, but it's the same guy and the same data from an earlier thread. He just wrote a new article with it. So, a flogging be upon ye.

gtfan088

Dodd-Like
I hate to see the low projections, but I don't disagree with them. The consensus opinion in 2008 was that Chan Gailey had done too little with good talent. Paul Johnson came in with a new system and inherited athletes better than he had seen before and better than he would recruit. 2008 and 2009 were great seasons to begin his regime.
A lot of this is hindsight though. We were not expected to be good in 2008.

Deke

Everybody relax, I'm here.
I hate to see the low projections, but I don't disagree with them. The consensus opinion in 2008 was that Chan Gailey had done too little with good talent. Paul Johnson came in with a new system and inherited athletes better than he had seen before and better than he would recruit. 2008 and 2009 were great seasons to begin his regime. In 2019 we have a program that has fallen behind in recruiting. I like our players, but realism requires that we admit our talent level is below par. And, we no longer run an offense so unusual that it can be an equalizer. The best thing going for us is that only Clemson and Georgia on our schedule are programs at the top of college football. But, Coach Collins has a tough job the next two years. He has come in and done a great job promoting our program and recruiting, and the offseason program sounds encouraging. But, the analysts are not stupid. Our fan base must resist complaining these first two years. We do not want to dampen enthusiasm or hinder further recruiting success.

In 2019 I would say we should beat The Citadel. Clemson and Georgia should beat us. We should be underdogs against Miami. In the other eight games we certainly have a chance, but I don't see an advantage over any of these: NCSU, UNC, Duke, USF, Temple, Va Tech. UVA or Pitt. A 5-7 year would be a good accomplishment in my opinion, a winning season and bowl trip terrific, but a 3-9 season should not cause any of us to fault Coach Collins and his staff. In 2020 the improvement in the team might be offset by adding Notre Dame to the schedule - eight conference games plus Georgia and Notre Dame is brutal. The best contribution fans will make over the next three seasons will be to be supportive, enthusiastic and patient. This coaching staff and players deserve this.
I don't disagree with your premise, but I also feel the need to point out that analysts also had us going 3-9 in 2008. Now, granted, some of the things we had going for us in 2008 (roster laden with NFL talent and a new offensive scheme a lot of teams had never played against) aren't necessarily there now, but still, based on our recent history of bucking expectations, I'm alright with cautious optimism.

Also, juice.

Yukonwreck

Dodd-Like
I can understand low expectations due to the difficult transition but below that UofL dumpster fire is unexpected.
It is merely a statement on the state of our player talent after the recruiting of the last several years. The conclusion is that Louisville's roster with a decent coach will be superior to our current roster with a decent coach.

wesleyd21

Dodd-Like
Some on here are optimistic about our W/L total for the 2019 season. Not sure why...I wish Coach Collins was inheriting an NFL-laden Coach Collins-recruited recruiting class.

He’s not so we aren’t going to win that many Year 1. Paul had access to elite talent immediately upon arrival. And with his superior coaching skills it was instant gratification in his first season.

FLTech

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
Didn't see this posted yet, so flog me if it already has it's own thread.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2019/6/4/18647097/acc-football-2019-power-rankings

GT last in the Coastal, 13th in the ACC ahead of only Louisville. If this doesn't get the team fired up nothing will.

S&P rankings have GT at #89, just below Florida International, two spots below Louisville.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...63/2019-college-football-rankings-projections
Makes good Locker Room Material!!! Keep them talking öööö that we suck.. Coach will use this to motivate and compete because Competition is KING

ClubSeats

Well-meaning elderly man with a poor memory
We will never win less than 8 games a season. Just won't happen.
Pay attention, this is the football board not the basketball board. Either way it’s a bold statement.

aeromech

Dodd-Like
Some on here are optimistic about our W/L total for the 2019 season. Not sure why...I wish Coach Collins was inheriting an NFL-laden Coach Collins-recruited recruiting class.

He’s not so we aren’t going to win that many Year 1. Paul had access to elite talent immediately upon arrival. And with his superior coaching skills it was instant gratification in his first season.
Very few thought we had elite talent during the summer of 2008. We did not let Gailey go because everyone thought Chan had recruited a bunch of pro talent.

wesleyd21

Dodd-Like
Very few thought we had elite talent during the summer of 2008. We did not let Gailey go because everyone thought Chan had recruited a bunch of pro talent.
Seriously?

Michael Johnson, Vance Walker, Daryl Richard, Derrick Morgan, Dwyer, Nesbitt, Burnett, Tarrant, and Demarius Thomas. All on that team. Chan’s 2005 team was also stacked. The man simply was a supremely mediocre football coach. He had awesome talent and could never deliver.

Most people thought we would suck because of the transition into the triple option, not the lack of talent. This year is the exact opposite of that problem.

aeromech

Dodd-Like
Seriously?

Michael Johnson, Vance Walker, Daryl Richard, Derrick Morgan, Dwyer, Nesbitt, Burnett, Tarrant, and Demarius Thomas. All on that team. Chan’s 2005 team was also stacked. The man simply was a supremely mediocre football coach. He had awesome talent and could never deliver.

Most people thought we would suck because of the transition into the triple option, not the lack of talent. This year is the exact opposite of that problem.
Seriously. Very few had Demarius Thomas pegged as an All-Pro coming out of high school. Very few had Nesbitt and Dwyer pegged as future NFL Hall of Famers either (except for a few posters on here who think Dwyer is/was better than Bo Jackson). I don't think most even had Nesbitt picked as our for sure starter, there was some other QB recruit (I think from Arizona?) who we hoped would win the starting job because the prospects of our QB's on staff (Nesbitt, Bilbo) looked so grim. MJ and Burnett were the only ones I think most were confident would play on Sunday. Walker, Richard, and Morgan (along with MJ) gave us hope on defense. Our offensive line was a catastrophy that lacked a full set of starters and had no depth.

It is in hindsight that we recognize how good that class was. The new system worked wonders for Nesbitt and Dwyer, and probably helped advance Thomas' career. Do you seriously think we remember Nesbitt as a great QB if he was forced to work out of a pro-set offense?

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
Nobody knows how good our QB's will be in our new offense. I suspect they will be better than Duke's.

Our DL and OL depth is my worry.

aeromech

Dodd-Like
Nobody knows how good our QB's will be in our new offense. I suspect they will be better than Duke's.

Our DL and OL depth is my worry.
I think we are in better shape with the OL although not that deep than we are with the DL. I hope with the new scheme and philosophy on Defense we are pleasantly surprised. I think we will have some guys step up and be stars that will be a surprise to us on both sides of the ball.

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
I think we are in better shape with the OL although not that deep than we are with the DL. I hope with the new scheme and philosophy on Defense we are pleasantly surprised. I think we will have some guys step up and be stars that will be a surprise to us on both sides of the ball.
I expect we will look more like a Tenuta defense, only hopefully we will be able to adjust if needed. Tenuta's defense seemed to be feast or famine

covingtonjacket

Knowledge superspreader
I expect we will look more like a Tenuta defense, only hopefully we will be able to adjust if needed. Tenuta's defense seemed to be feast or famine
I have thought the same thing. It will at least be entertaining and hopefully not the bubble screen of death over and over and over.

Tampa Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Didn't see this posted yet, so flog me if it already has it's own thread.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2019/6/4/18647097/acc-football-2019-power-rankings

GT last in the Coastal, 13th in the ACC ahead of only Louisville. If this doesn't get the team fired up nothing will.

S&P rankings have GT at #89, just below Florida International, two spots below Louisville.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...63/2019-college-football-rankings-projections
It's all about the quarterback.

ibeeballin

Dodd-Like
Seriously. Very few had Demarius Thomas pegged as an All-Pro coming out of high school. Very few had Nesbitt and Dwyer pegged as future NFL Hall of Famers either (except for a few posters on here who think Dwyer is/was better than Bo Jackson). I don't think most even had Nesbitt picked as our for sure starter, there was some other QB recruit (I think from Arizona?) who we hoped would win the starting job because the prospects of our QB's on staff (Nesbitt, Bilbo) looked so grim. MJ and Burnett were the only ones I think most were confident would play on Sunday. Walker, Richard, and Morgan (along with MJ) gave us hope on defense. Our offensive line was a catastrophy that lacked a full set of starters and had no depth.

It is in hindsight that we recognize how good that class was. The new system worked wonders for Nesbitt and Dwyer, and probably helped advance Thomas' career. Do you seriously think we remember Nesbitt as a great QB if he was forced to work out of a pro-set offense?
Exactly. Hell many were screaming Baybay and Morgan Burnett shouldn’t have left early. No one was expecting those guys to turn out the way they did

samsgt02

Dodd-Like
Exactly. Hell many were screaming Baybay and Morgan Burnett shouldn’t have left early. No one was expecting those guys to turn out the way they did
I wished they hadn't left early, but only for selfish reasons!

bonham

Dodd-Like
Umm, that class was widely recognized as the best GT class in decades at the time they were recruited.