ACCN: VT @ GT (2009) just started.

Played flat! We knew we were the better team and didn’t go in with the same intensity

They Ran inside zone and found cut back lanes all night or the safety missed the tackle

i was just about to say, they hit us with cutbacks all night long. looked like we couldn't wait to overrun a play. we should have known they were not going to let Joe Cox (the quarterback, not the old Savannah TV weatherman) try to win that game for them.
and we still had a chance to pull that game out.

"We played flat."

I've heard that a few times about us against the dwags. But in nearly 4 decades of watching this game, I don't think I have ever heard that complaint about them. They always seem at the top of their game when it comes to us.

Maybe we need to hate losing to them as much as they hate losing to us.

"We played flat."

I've heard that a few times about us against the dwags. But in nearly 4 decades of watching this game, I don't think I have ever heard that complaint about them. They always seem at the top of their game when it comes to us.

Maybe we need to hate losing to them as much as they hate losing to us.
I know we have to go back a ways for this example, but in 2000 they came out so flat against us.

"We played flat", that defense gave up 30 or more points 6 times that season. Two of those were to Mississippi State and Vanderbilt. That defense had some stars on it; but it also had a lot of G5 level talent. We simply got man handled by UGA as they pounded the rock right down our throat.

"We played flat", that defense gave up 30 or more points 6 times that season. Two of those were to Mississippi State and Vanderbilt. That defense had some stars on it; but it also had a lot of G5 level talent. We simply got man handled by UGA as they pounded the rock right down our throat.
330 lb average on the OL will do that

That OL was only able to do that against us and Tennessee Tech.
Not really a correction but that OL only tried it against us and TT that year. Give Richt some credit - he figured out how to beat us and his plan worked. Richt basically CPJ'd us - he ran running plays and picked up big yards on first down then ran for what remained on 2nd and 3rd. I wonder to this day what CPJ was thinking when he realized what Richt was up to that night.

That game will go down as one of the most demoralizing football games I have ever attended.

Not really a correction but that OL only tried it against us and TT that year. Give Richt some credit - he figured out how to beat us and his plan worked. Richt basically CPJ'd us - he ran running plays and picked up big yards on first down then ran for what remained on 2nd and 3rd. I wonder to this day what CPJ was thinking when he realized what Richt was up to that night.

That game will go down as one of the most demoralizing football games I have ever attended.

Talking with PJ over the years, the teams that gave him the most trouble - particularly when he was at Southern - were teams that controlled the ball. He'd always tell me, "that's what I would do to us"

They didn’t do anything exotic. They just ran the ball. If his top two RBs were ripping off 9.2 a carry against anyone else he would have done it against every opponent... but they weren’t.

If you look back over the CPJ vs UGA games you’ll find in the majority of the games they had the same or better average per carry running vanilla pro style plays.

Back