Ace Eley returning in 2022

With a full cycle of winter workouts, spring practice, summer workouts and pre-season practice I could see Eley getting a lot better. Glad he is staying. With the right work ethic next year could be a good one for him.

Wow, I just assumed he graded out poorly also, but 547 of 589 is some rare territory. Let’s hope the new coaches can turn this around for him.

The DB performance was worse than I thought and I had a low opinion of their performance. Were the backups as bad or were the coaches hesitant to bench seniors?

Wow, I just assumed he graded out poorly also, but 547 of 589 is some rare territory. Let’s hope the new coaches can turn this around for him.

IMHO Eley was ineffective, especially in passing downs, and should not have ended up with the snaps he got. If we were going to suck then play they highly recruited young guys so they won't be inexperienced the next year.

Last edited:
The DB performance was worse than I thought and I had a low opinion of their performance. Were the backups as bad or were the coaches hesitant to bench seniors?
If we’re playing players not as good as those on the bench, that would explain a lot. I’m not sure if we should hope that’s not the case because that means we’re in a world of hurt next season if what we had on the field was the best.

IMHO Eley was ineffective, especially in passing downs, and should not have ended up with the snaps he got. If we were going to suck then play they highly recruited young guys do they won't be inexperienced the next year.
We know your opinion, you dolt, it's already written in the article.

If we’re playing players not as good as those on the bench, that would explain a lot. I’m not sure if we should hope that’s not the case because that means we’re in a world of hurt next season if what we had on the field was the best.
The coaches are always going to play the best players. How to hold them accountable and correct bad habits is the question our coaches haven't figured out.

The coaches are always going to play the best players. How to hold them accountable and correct bad habits is the question our coaches haven't figured out.
I’m hoping we wouldn’t have a drop off from last season. If you’re thinking we’re gonna drop another notch down because what we got for replacements are not as good as what we had, it’s gonna be a very painful season.

I’m hoping we wouldn’t have a drop off from last season. If you’re thinking we’re gonna drop another notch down because what we got for replacements are not as good as what we had, it’s gonna be a very painful season.
I've lost track of who all we've lost at this point, but it's at least:
Our best RB
Our best WR
3? OL starters
Our best DT
Our best LB
2 (or is it 3?) starting DBs

We arguably should be worse at every position group next year except maybe TE and DE. That's a lot of reliance on "next man up"

And that's why Burton and Popovich are gone. I can buy that Swilling, Juanyeh and Tariq were somewhat overrated. I can't buy that they were the worst in the conference like their numbers showed.

I can't really buy that Ace was that bad, either. He was decent at Maryland. So we got a new LB coach, too.

I've lost track of who all we've lost at this point, but it's at least:
Our best RB
Our best WR
3? OL starters
Our best DT
Our best LB
2 (or is it 3?) starting DBs

We arguably should be worse at every position group next year except maybe TE and DE. That's a lot of reliance on "next man up"
Every program in the country could produce a similar list. That’s the nature of college football.

I thought CGC was some sort of of DB whisperer who put every other DB into the NFL?? Not sure where I got that perception; but it was definitely wrong.

I do not agree. The number of starters departing puts us ~120th in terms of returning starters using previous years for comparison. COVID might skew the numbers, but expect us to be near last in this metric when it's published for the upcoming season.

https://philsteele.com/2021/08/12/complete-breakdown-of-every-cfb-teams-returning-starters-for-2021/
So based on the "returning starters metric" we had 80% probabilities of an improved record last year...somebody sure screwed that up for us.

And that's why Burton and Popovich are gone. I can buy that Swilling, Juanyeh and Tariq were somewhat overrated. I can't buy that they were the worst in the conference like their numbers showed.

I can't really buy that Ace was that bad, either. He was decent at Maryland. So we got a new LB coach, too.
I wonder why the DC is still here? Maybe the fall guy for nect year so Collins can stay on as Coach?

The DC should be gone. Few would argue otherwise… but he’s not. It’s time for @GTFLETCH and others to embrace that fact and get behind the 2022 iteration of this team.

If we can even get this defense into league average territory, then we could see a huge jump in terms of our win-loss record. I’m hopeful last season was enough of a kick in the teeth to get our entire defensive staff laser focused to find ways to improve that unit. ööööting on Eley and other players is really petty and does nothing to improve the odds of that improvement happening.

I wonder why the DC is still here? Maybe the fall guy for nect year so Collins can stay on as Coach?

Because Collins doesn't think the defensive scheme is the problem and all Thacker is supposed to do is run Collins' scheme. Collins' knows he won't survive another losing season, so no. There is no fall guy. This is a Geoff Collins defense and that's the way he wants it.

I choose to believe that Burton (who seems like a great guy) wasn't good at his job and was more of a buddy to his players than a coach. Burton and his chosen guys formed a little clique to the detriment of the team. I think Tillman will be a big upgrade and the D will improve significantly. If I am wrong, they are all gone after next year.

Last edited:
Back