Actual talk about the rest of this football season

18in32

Petard Hoister
We aren't playing for next year, because Oliver will not be the QB next year. Saying stuff like that shows just how little you know about GT football. Lucas Johnson is the #2 and will be the #1 next year. So for this year, play the best QB you got.
C'mon, man, no one knows who the starter next year will be. I remember being surprised last year when it was TQM rather than the man "next in line," Matthew Jordan. It all depends on who's healthy and how they play in the off-season.

We aren't playing for next year, because Oliver will not be the QB next year. Saying stuff like that shows just how little you know about GT football. Lucas Johnson is the #2 and will be the #1 next year. So for this year, play the best QB you got.
It depends on who Art Briles thinks fits his system better. RG3 was a 3-star quarterback when he was recruited to play at Baylor.

gobuzzgo

Varsity Lurker
+1

I have been surprised at how infrequently coaches instruct returners to take the fair catch. I suppose the theory is that a return out to the 20 isn't much worse than a return out to the 25, relative to the occasional times you get a return to midfield or beyond.

I think the whole stadium breathes a sigh of relief when we finally started fair catching at the Duke game.
It does seem like we have been late to the New-Fair-Catch-Rule party. Frankly, since I agree with CPJ that we have thin margins for error, I would think this would apply to avoiding injuries as well. If the rule is in place to help avoid injuries, and all of the other teams seem to be cool with it, we should fair catch more often and spare the opportunity for getting hurt unless we see a clear coverage issue.

JelloYacketDeleted062020

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
Below you'll see some numbers I collected about the past 10 years of GT football. I wanted to test some theories about our performance, both mine and others. The data shows stats from our QB (passing and throwing) as well as our #1 WR each year. Also included is TO margin. There is no defensive data in their now (except TOs).

A couple of quick correlations with winning percentage show the TO Margin is a huge deal. Coming in second is the completion % of the QB. The chart in the second second tab shows TO Margin per game vs. winning pct. The upper left dot is this year, which is a bit of an anomaly from past years.

coit

Y’all got any more of that D Fence?
Below you'll see some numbers I collected about the past 10 years of GT football. I wanted to test some theories about our performance, both mine and others. The data shows stats from our QB (passing and throwing) as well as our #1 WR each year. Also included is TO margin. There is no defensive data in their now (except TOs).

A couple of quick correlations with winning percentage show the TO Margin is a huge deal. Coming in second is the completion % of the QB. The chart in the second second tab shows TO Margin per game vs. winning pct. The upper left dot is this year, which is a bit of an anomaly from past years.

Don't you think these correlations would hold true with ANY team? You get more turnovers than you give, you win more. You complete a higher percentage of passes, you win more. You throw a higher percentage of TDs to INTs, you win more.

Do you have the numbers to correlate QB rushing yardage to total yardage?

originalwombat

Damn Good Rat
Every time I see QB stats I feel bad for saying that Tevin sucked. He was not great, mind you, but he is Russell Wilson compared to Marshall.

vapspwi

Dodd-Like
Nevermind the stats, I'm struck by the fact that JfN and JT each had an 11 and 9 win seasons, and we've been mediocre to bad basically every other year. Were we good because those dudes were awesome, or do remember that they were awesome because we were good for other reasons? I'd sure take my chances with either one of them right now, especially JfN.

JRjr

coit

Y’all got any more of that D Fence?
Nevermind the stats, I'm struck by the fact that JfN and JT each had an 11 and 9 win seasons, and we've been mediocre to bad basically every other year. Were we good because those dudes were awesome, or do remember that they were awesome because we were good for other reasons? I'd sure take my chances with either one of them right now, especially JfN.

JRjr
So every other year we have a nice season. With the right quarterback it is every 2 out of 3.

QuadF

Dodd-Like

JRjr
We had a complete lack of defense when tevin started.

vapspwi

Dodd-Like
So every other year we have a nice season. With the right quarterback it is every 2 out of 3.
No, not alternating years. Every year other than the 9 and 11 win seasons each by Nesbitt and Washington were mediocre to bad (8, 7, 7, 6, 5, and 3 wins). Our other 3 QBs weren't able to get it done. (And to be fair, Thomas had a bad year between his good ones, and Nesbitt's last half-year was a letdown, too.)

I could live with it if the 7 win years were our floor, but the 6, 5, 3, and whatever this year is years drag everything down. 8 wins is on the cusp of a nice season, but somewhat devalued when you factor in the I-AA cupcake game(s).

JRjr

RamblinWreck92

Dodd-Like
You don’t think 8 wins is a nice season?
Depends on who the 8 wins are against.

Do you honestly look back fondly upon 2011? Do you even remember who those 8 wins came against? I honestly do not, to either of those questions.

AmpuTECHture

Drain Lake Powell
Depends on who the 8 wins are against.

Do you honestly look back fondly upon 2011? Do you even remember who those 8 wins came against? I honestly do not, to either of those questions.
I remember starting the year 6-0(and the fun game at MTSU) and Clemson. Now that I just looked back at the schedule that makes sense as we only had one win after Clemson (Duke). I remember the season being dissapointing, especially after starting strong and having a big win. Looking at the schedule, it's not very tough, and I don't know if I would call it nice or good, just above mediocre.

JelloYacketDeleted062020

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
Don't you think these correlations would hold true with ANY team? You get more turnovers than you give, you win more. You complete a higher percentage of passes, you win more. You throw a higher percentage of TDs to INTs, you win more.

Do you have the numbers to correlate QB rushing yardage to total yardage?
I really just pulled them together as quick as possible, haven't dug really deeply into them. I would expect, in general, that TO margin would play a pretty important role in winning percentage for all teams. I would need to go back and pull data for all teams with records and TO margin to see if it matter more for us than for other schools.

The reason that I wanted to look at things like TD ratio and completion percentage are that I do think these depend on the offensive philosophy. If we look at completion percentage in particular, "run and shoot" offenses would be using short passes in a similar way to our running game. These offenses require higher completion percentages to effectively move the ball because passing is such a large % of overall plays. For us, my understanding is that we're willing to take lower completion percentages than you might see out of a passing offense because more of our passes are plays designed to go for bigger yardage. My hypothesis is that because of the relative low number of passes it's more important for the success of our team, so I think that the QB's completion % is more important to the overall win-loss percent. But, that could be hogwash! I just wanted to see.

Athletic Supporter

From a certain point of view
It depends on who Art Briles thinks fits his system better. RG3 was a 3-star quarterback when he was recruited to play at Baylor.
The kid from Season 3 of Last Chance U is available, Malik Henry. He's quick on his feet and accurate. He was a 5 star when he was recruited to FSU but evidently he's now a 3 star without a team. Just a thought.