AD Wish List....

From Wiki:

GT: 14,000 undergrads
Michigan: 27,000 Undergrads
Texas: 38,000 Undergrads
PennState: 38,000 Undergrads (Happy Valley)
UGAG: 33,000 undergrads

If GT wanted to expand student enrollment further, there's is room on campus for more housing and classroom space.

Most East Campus dorms are 40-50 years old. They were built when GT was less than 10,000 students.
Only the old GaState dorms are new. Compare the capacity of the GaState dorms (@10 floors)to every other dorm on East Campus (2-3 floors).

If GT can/wanted to, they could easily add capacity for about 5,000 additional students on East Campus alone by building a few new East Campus dorms. And another 5,000 on West Campus. There is still lots of room on West Campus. Adding capacity to other facilities for classrooms and dining, etc. would also have to be considered.

So your plan is to raze/rebuild East Campus and then fill in the little remaining green-space we have? Great plan! I'll show you what the BOR will say to that -> :rotfl:

However, this is veering off topic.

Are colleges with "thriving" athletic programs likely to attract MORE potential students, than colleges w/out "thriving" athletic programs?
There are only about 15-20 legitimately consistent football powers out there (hint: we aren't one of them and haven't been since the early 1960s), out of the thousands of colleges/universities in the United States. I'd say the schools with good athletics probably attract more applicants, but I doubt that it seriously increases the quality of applicants.

So your plan is to raze/rebuild East Campus and then fill in the little remaining green-space we have? Great plan! I'll show you what the BOR will say to that -> :rotfl:

My suggestion was a response to your comment that there is no room on campus to add or house more students.

What I suggested was that most of the dorms on East Campus are very old and have much lower space utilization for the space they occupy than that of the newer GaState dorms in a similar size space.

Most of the East Campus dorms are 2-3 floors. The GaState dorms are more like 7-10 floors. A very old East Campus dorm with only 2-3 floors cold be razed and rebuilt into a newer/nicer 5-10 story dorm on a footprint comparable to a current older & smaller dorm.

The BOR has spent a TON of money building dorms and classrooms at Ga Southern, K-State, Georgia College, and other places. The BOR might or might not choose to help allocate state funds to give GT for this.

However, the article at the link below shows that UGA developed a way to finance a dorm project without help from the BOR to raze an older/smaller dorm to build a newer dorm that is 60% LARGER...in the SAME space.

LINK:http://onlineathens.com/stories/071211/new_855803674.shtml

It seems you're not able to even imagine such things were even possible.

Most exp at E Tn St-do they have football? what level?

They did while he was there and then dropped it and he left. He held the same position DRad did at LSU at Oregon State. More than 20 years total experience including being an AD at two schools now.

I was looking up some info on the parent of one of our current SA's, to respond to a post on another site (re: current scholarship offer on the table to the nephew of an infamous DWAG, hints: Heisman trophy winner, multiple personalities, my GAWD a Freshman, etc.)
when I came upon this:

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/07/troy_ad_steve_dennis_announces.html

I wonder if he had any hints of DRAD wanting to leave when he did this at Troy. I wonder if his statement about wanting to pursue other opportunites meant that he had an eye on our position (if he did know). He oversaw an ambitious facilities upgrade at Troy, much like DRAD did here.

I was looking up some info on the parent of one of our current SA's, to respond to a post on another site (re: current scholarship offer on the table to the nephew of an infamous DWAG, hints: Heisman trophy winner, multiple personalities, my GAWD a Freshman, etc.)
when I came upon this:

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/07/troy_ad_steve_dennis_announces.html

I wonder if he had any hints of DRAD wanting to leave when he did this at Troy. I wonder if his statement about wanting to pursue other opportunites meant that he had an eye on our position (if he did know). He oversaw an ambitious facilities upgrade at Troy, much like DRAD did here.

That would be very prescient since this was announced in July and Joe Don didn't announce until August.

http://mauldin.patch.com/articles/clemson-ad-terry-don-phillips-to-retire-694768fc

That would be very prescient since this was announced in July and Joe Don didn't announce until August.

http://mauldin.patch.com/articles/clemson-ad-terry-don-phillips-to-retire-694768fc

My bad. I didn't pay attention to the release date. I thought that the timeline was a little closer to his last days at Troy. But I'm sure that DRad probably knew well in advance of Phillip's intentions. ADs talk to each other all the time. And who's to say that Dennis wouldn't be interested. And from what I've read he was well respected at Troy. He let his own child come here so I'm sure he knows the challenges of Tech and appreciates the value of a Georgia Tech education.

My suggestion was a response to your comment that there is no room on campus to add or house more students.

What I suggested was that most of the dorms on East Campus are very old and have much lower space utilization for the space they occupy than that of the newer GaState dorms in a similar size space.

Most of the East Campus dorms are 2-3 floors. The GaState dorms are more like 7-10 floors. A very old East Campus dorm with only 2-3 floors cold be razed and rebuilt into a newer/nicer 5-10 story dorm on a footprint comparable to a current older & smaller dorm.

The BOR has spent a TON of money building dorms and classrooms at Ga Southern, K-State, Georgia College, and other places. The BOR might or might not choose to help allocate state funds to give GT for this.

However, the article at the link below shows that UGA developed a way to finance a dorm project without help from the BOR to raze an older/smaller dorm to build a newer dorm that is 60% LARGER...in the SAME space.

LINK:http://onlineathens.com/stories/071211/new_855803674.shtml

It seems you're not able to even imagine such things were even possible.

I just started giving you ---- because you somehow think it's the AD's job to completely replace the master plan for GT.

Sure it's possible, but it's not going to happen unless the Olympics come around again.

I just started giving you ---- because you somehow think it's the AD's job to completely replace the master plan for GT.

Sure it's possible, but it's not going to happen unless the Olympics come around again.

Didnt state or imply that its the AD's job at all.

You seemed to have jumped to that imaginary conclusion on your own. Not sure how you come to that randomn conclusion based on what I stated.

I stated that if places like Michigan, PennState and others can have good academic reputations and good athletic programs, then why cant GT.

Your response was that those schools were so much larger than GT, and there was no way to add capacity space on campus to add more students. In fact, if Bud's plan (as stated by another member) is to add many more academic majors, then that plan certainly reflects the plan to add many more students.

I responded that there was plenty of room to add or house more students on campus. My suggestion was there was a way to add housing capacity to East Campus, or even West Campus. Adding more classroom capacity is an additional story.

Your reaction was that the idea of redeveloping East Campus in stages was some scorched Earth policy and that it meant to do away with any/all green space.

And then you added that adding new space on the GT campus wouldnt or couldnt happen unless the Olympics came back to town. And I added an example of how UGA came up with a way to replace an existing dorm with a newer/nicer dorm with 60% more student capacity without help from the State.

BTW, whats your gripe Fraternities? Your "Greek monstrosities" comment certainly sounds like you're bitter or resentful of Fraternities. Whats not to like about nice/large Fraternity or Sorority houses?

Its odd that you keep drawing imaginary conclusions to objective points that were clearly stated.

Let's fire the current president of our school and hire someone who cares about academics and sports and will fight for Tech against the Board of Regents and our state government. That guy can hire a new AD.

Fred Glass at Indiana. Doubt he would leave because he graduated from IU, but he made what looks to be a good hire in Kevin Wilson. (IU has been really competitive in football this year, 3-5 while losing four games by a combined ten points.)

Not only that, he has instituted some great ideas to generate interest in the football program (tailgating, ticket prices, traffic plans), especially among current students. In 2008, average attendance was 31K. Since he began in January 2009, average attendance has been 41K-42K each year even though the team was terrible (4-8, 5-7, 1-11).

Let's fire the current president of our school and hire someone who cares about academics and sports and will fight for Tech against the Board of Regents and our state government. That guy can hire a new AD.

Bud does fight for GT (not to the extent of Clough, but still he fights). There's only so much he can do, though.

Didnt state or imply that its the AD's job at all.

We already have a master plan and includes the addition of a good number of beds over the next ~5 or so years. Demolition of Woodruff is planned, and it will be replaced by multiple housing units of larger capacity. Area 2 will be expanded by a couple of units tucked in next to the connector just north of the existing Area 2 quad.

GT will grow, but it's unlikely that the pace of such growth will surpass other schools that we compete against. However, additional growth at UGA or Clemson does little to improve their athletic programs.....once you already have much more demand than supply (in the case of football tickets), there is no way to really benefit much from that additional demand. It's capped in a way.

GT still has a big demand gap, and needs more alums in order to fill the stadium. With steady growth, I think the passage of time will help solve this problem for us. We're growing fast.....in 1963 we had about 50k living alums. In 1988 it was 61k. By 2002 it had jumped to 75k. The most recent figure I have seen is 2011, and we now claim 129k (!) living alumni. We are getting there, quickly. The number of alums living Georgia has doubled in 25 years to about 53k.

That said, we don't have control of how many of these alums stay in Georgia. What we can control is to do a LOT more as an AA to make sure we're making the effort to turn the students we have into football/basketball fans. Many of them are not. Thinking from a long-term perspective, I think this could be a task for a new AD to take on. It's a thankless task, because any AD won't keep the job long enough to see a return on that investment.

We already have a master plan and includes the addition of a good number of beds over the next ~5 or so years. Demolition of Woodruff is planned, and it will be replaced by multiple housing units of larger capacity. Area 2 will be expanded by a couple of units tucked in next to the connector just north of the existing Area 2 quad.

GT will grow, but it's unlikely that the pace of such growth will surpass other schools that we compete against. However, additional growth at UGA or Clemson does little to improve their athletic programs.....once you already have much more demand than supply (in the case of football tickets), there is no way to really benefit much from that additional demand. It's capped in a way.

GT still has a big demand gap, and needs more alums in order to fill the stadium. With steady growth, I think the passage of time will help solve this problem for us. We're growing fast.....in 1963 we had about 50k living alums. In 1988 it was 61k. By 2002 it had jumped to 75k. The most recent figure I have seen is 2011, and we now claim 129k (!) living alumni. We are getting there, quickly. The number of alums living Georgia has doubled in 25 years to about 53k.

That said, we don't have control of how many of these alums stay in Georgia. What we can control is to do a LOT more as an AA to make sure we're making the effort to turn the students we have into football/basketball fans. Many of them are not. Thinking from a long-term perspective, I think this could be a task for a new AD to take on. It's a thankless task, because any AD won't keep the job long enough to see a return on that investment.

Demo Woodruff? Thats surprising since Woodruff is among some of the "newer" dorms.

Every dorm on East Campus is ANCIENT, except the former GaState dorms on North Ave at Techwood.

That said, we don't have control of how many of these alums stay in Georgia.

This actually is a bigger issue than most people realize. There just isn't enough high paying technology jobs in Georgia to support the number of GT caliber engineers getting out.

It seems like I see as many GT stickers on the back of cars in the midwest as I did in the southeast.

Last edited:

FWIW:

Just an example of a few East Campus Dorms
and the years each was built:

Smith (1949)
Harrison (1939)
Glenn (1947)
Howell (1939)
Towers (1947)
Cloudman (1939)
Brown (1925)

Several other East Campus dorms were built in 1961.

Each of these existing dorms (as well as most of East Campus) has much lower housing capacity than their current land footprint will support.
Each is 2-3 floors, while newer North Ave dorms
are 5, 7, 10 and 13 floors respectively.

So the point here is that the whole campus can easily support a much larger student body enrollment. East Campus itself can easily support much more housing capacity.

Adding classrooms and professors would be an additional consideration.

This actually is a bigger issue than most people realize. There just isn't enough high paying technology jobs in Georgia to support the number of GT caliber engineers getting out.

And U(sic)GA is responsible for making sure that's not the case, fighting every big initiative to create an incubator for high tech jobs in Northern Georgia.

It seems like I as many GT stickers on the back of cars in the midwest as I did in the southeast.

Yep. Adding one more GT engineer to the midwest this year.

And U(sic)GA is responsible for making sure that's not the case, fighting every big initiative to create an incubator for high tech jobs in Northern Georgia.

The State has certain assets that make it attractive for lots of national and international companies on a broad scale:

1. Location (crossroads of the SE US)
2. Climate
3. Culture (mostly non-union culture & workforce)
4. Major Transportation hub of all modes
5. Atlanta Airport
6. Savannah Port
7. Plentiful water resources (Lake Lanier, Chattahoochee, Lake Hartwell, etc.)
7. Georgia Tech
8. Emory University & Hospital
9. Coca-Cola

Most everything else is a very distant runner-up to these first keys.

FWIW:

Just an example of a few East Campus Dorms
and the years each was built:

Smith (1949)
Harrison (1939)
Glenn (1947)
Howell (1939)
Towers (1947)
Cloudman (1939)
Brown (1925)

Several other East Campus dorms were built in 1961.

Each of these existing dorms (as well as most of East Campus) has much lower housing capacity than their current land footprint will support.
Each is 2-3 floors, while newer North Ave dorms
are 5, 7, 10 and 13 floors respectively.

So the point here is that the whole campus can easily support a much larger student body enrollment. East Campus itself can easily support much more housing capacity.

Adding classrooms and professors would be an additional consideration.

Yeah, I find it bizarre that the housing master plan (from 2009) barely mentions the really old dorms at all. It does mention a lot of major renovations in "Tech Estates" (Fitten, Montag, et al).

If you're interested: http://www.space.gatech.edu/masterplan/assets/Housing Master Plan 2009.pdf

Bear in mind that I'm not certain these plans are actually being executed, but they are on gatech.edu.

Besides Woodruff, it also recommends to knock down Perry and Matheson and put up 4 buildings, 2 on the existing spot, and 2 more adjacent to the north.

Back