AD Wish List....

OK. So forget private schools.

Michigan, Texas, PennState, etc. werent always
as big a they are now. There were reasons why those schools got to be so big. GT used to be less than half its current student size.

IF...GT wants to have a thriving athletics program,
something needs to change.

Since football is the primary $$$ generator for the GTAA, the ever-increasing number of empty seats at BDS is not an encouraging sign. Neither is the current GTAA debt in the $250M range, if I'm correct.

Do we want to be more like a Michigan that has good academcis and athletics, or a Johns Hopkins, good academics and almost no athletics ?

Where are you going to put 50K undergrads?

We had to buyout the North Ave Apts just to hold the people we have now - you'd have to demolish all of Home Park (admittedly, no great loss) and replace it with mid-rise dorms to hold all those people. I don't think GT's undergrad population is going to get a whole lot bigger than it is now (maybe another 10% or so?) without some major changes to how we handle housing. I guess all the new 4-story Greek monstrosities on East Campus are helping with this a little bit, but yeah.

Texas and UCLA had significant head starts on us as far as expansion, along with more money and/or political will to expand.

What we really need is a law school so that we can increase our political presence under the Gold Dome.

AD is a business position. It requires (or should require) business experience, of which Curry has zero.

So very wrong are you.

He was a master at selling worthless North American Thrift Notes.

How about his good buddy darwin holt?

Maybe Steve Orsini? I know he was let go at SMU this summer, over disagreements with smu's "hill". Has GT associate AD experience, and is obviously willing to fight hard for athletic exceptions to the point that he was fired. Tried very hard to land CPJ before settling on June Jones.

Know what he is doing now?

Think he played at ND, so he should understand, oh lord, academics.

But from what I am reading we need someone willing, it appears, to FIGHT THE ----ING HILL NERDS.

He sounds interesting.

Somebody needs to teach the Hill that when Tech football does well, they benefit as well.

Source?

Methinks you're taking the correlation of large state universities to the points above and the correlation of large state universities to "thriving" athletic departments and trying to claim "thriving" athletic departments cause the above points. I'm not buying it, unless you can produce data to prove it.

Look at a school named Georgia Tech after the MNC.

Well, I certainly kicked over a yellow jacket nest on this topic didnt I?

Sorry, but I dont want GT to be...Johns Hopkins.

But can we be GT...AND...have a THRIVING athletics program?

Michigan, Penn State, USC, Texas, and others seem to have developed a way. Why cant GT?

You forgot to highlight vandy (as it now seems to be playing out)

But from what I am reading we need someone willing, it appears, to FIGHT THE ----ING HILL NERDS.

He sounds interesting.

Somebody needs to teach the Hill that when Tech football does well, they benefit as well.

The Hill nerds hire the AD. Don't you think they have the same information that everyone else has? No chance. They'll select someone more tactful.

This is what most people miss. Go hire an executive with proven business experience and no athletic association experience. Pair him or her with a fan favorite to interact with fans / donors and act as a press secretary.

John Dewberry?

Where are you going to put 50K undergrads?

We had to buyout the North Ave Apts just to hold the people we have now - you'd have to demolish all of Home Park (admittedly, no great loss) and replace it with mid-rise dorms to hold all those people. I don't think GT's undergrad population is going to get a whole lot bigger than it is now (maybe another 10% or so?) without some major changes to how we handle housing. I guess all the new 4-story Greek monstrosities on East Campus are helping with this a little bit, but yeah.

Texas and UCLA had significant head starts on us as far as expansion, along with more money and/or political will to expand.

What we really need is a law school so that we can increase our political presence under the Gold Dome.

From Wiki:

GT: 14,000 undergrads
Michigan: 27,000 Undergrads
Texas: 38,000 Undergrads
PennState: 38,000 Undergrads (Happy Valley)
UGAG: 33,000 undergrads

If GT wanted to expand student enrollment further, there's is room on campus for more housing and classroom space.

Most East Campus dorms are 40-50 years old. They were built when GT was less than 10,000 students.
Only the old GaState dorms are new. Compare the capacity of the GaState dorms (@10 floors)to every other dorm on East Campus (2-3 floors).

If GT can/wanted to, they could easily add capacity for about 5,000 additional students on East Campus alone by building a few new East Campus dorms. And another 5,000 on West Campus. There is still lots of room on West Campus. Adding capacity to other facilities for classrooms and dining, etc. would also have to be considered.

However, this is veering off topic.

Are colleges with "thriving" athletic programs likely to attract MORE potential students, than colleges w/out "thriving" athletic programs?

Wow... just wow. I'm reeling from that. I know interest rates are low ... but who other than the United States Federal Reserve -- which has the unique ability to print money out of thin air -- has ever made themselves prosperous by driving themselves into debt oblivion. A fifth of a billion. $^!#$&!#$&!#&. You'd think Congress ran the GTAA.

:turbonoes: :eek4wtf: :eek3: :faint: :hiding:

:hidinghomer:

He sounds interesting.

The internets cannot seem to find him, so I assume he is not employed as an AD currently.

He might be a little too willing to shake the nest for a place like GT. I would not be surprised to hear his name come up on a list in the near future though. I know he raised a ton of money from SMU donors to fund $10M for June Jones. Pretty impressive for a school that cannot give away football tickets and get anyone to show up.

I think it's time to move away from having a finance guy at the helm. Our financial structure is pretty well set currently, with no major construction projects on the horizon. My care-abouts for a new AD would include, in no particular order:

1) Creative marketing ability
2) Fund raising ability (lots of debt to feed)
3) Willingness to work hard to get football exceptions
4) Patience in making coaching changes (not interested in someone to come in and clear the decks - i want to see at least two more years of CPJ)

I looked it up and HOLY !#$&^!#&!. It's not that high, but it is close enough to make you sober. Just over $200 million as of June 2011.

http://fin-services.gatech.edu/sites/default/files/Georgia Tech Athletic Association 6 30 11.pdf

That is insanity.

Like I said earlier, I dont think the big $$$ alums & boosters put up ALL that money and added up to $200 Million in debt for new facilities...just to see GT not take a much more aggressive approach to athletics.

I dont think the new AD will be anyone from the "South."

IMHO, it will likley be someone from:

1. BIG10 country (Michigan or Notre Dame)
2. U-Texas, or aTm (Bud Peterson has ties to aTm)
3. a PAC12 school (Stanford, USCw, or Washington)

Someone to stand up to The Hill on recruiting.

Oh, wait, The Hill is doing the hiring.

I guess we're dead. I suppose I'll save money on season tickets.

IMO, a "declining" GT athletics program will lead to a declining GT student enrollment.

And THAT will lead to a declining E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G, including $$$$$$ for ALL things.

The Hill had better F***ing wake up and understand that.

IMO, a "declining" GT athletics program will lead to a declining GT student enrollment.

And THAT will lead to a declining E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G, including $$$$$$ for ALL things.

The Hill had better F***ing wake up and understand that.

Why would that happen? Do we really want students who are more concerned about the football team than academics? Would they even qualify anyways?

Aren't you the one who told me there is no way we win only 6 or 7 games this year?

I pick Gibson J. Haynes, former captain of the basketball team at Trinity College and a CPA to boot.
He's also lead singer of the greatest band of all time, but let's not quibble.

Why would that happen? Do we really want students who are more concerned about the football team than academics? Would they even qualify anyways?

Aren't you the one who told me there is no way we win only 6 or 7 games this year?

Yes, I did say, adamantly, that was no way GT could go 6-7 or 7-6 this year, like you described.

Based on much what had been written and said during August about how,much improved the O-Line was "going" to be, how much better the D was going to be in CAG's 3rd year with returning starters, with so many RS-Sophomores and RS-Juniors starting, and a STs coach...

Yeh, I believed there was no way we could look so completely bad in every phase. I did believe VPISU would be garbage this year, and they are.

Back