AD Wish List....

Maybe Steve Orsini? I know he was let go at SMU this summer, over disagreements with smu's "hill". Has GT associate AD experience, and is obviously willing to fight hard for athletic exceptions to the point that he was fired. Tried very hard to land CPJ before settling on June Jones.

#1 on the Wish List.

An AD with the balls to tell The Hill that universities with THRIVING Athletic Departments are:

1. A LARGER than those universities w/out THRIVING Athletic Departments
2. Have LARGER student enrollments
3. Hire and support MORE professors
5. Provide their professors with MORE research & teaching opportunities
4. Get MORE and LARGER grants
6. Have MANY WEALTHY...sports-minded alums & boosters...that
give LOTS of money to endow chairs and department-level research gifts

And finally, universities that do not FULLY SUPPORT having
a THRIVING Athletic Departments....have LESS of all of the above !!

#1 on the Wish List.

An AD with the balls to tell The Hill that universities with THRIVING Athletic Departments are:

Define "thriving" because the Ivy League is a pretty obvious counterpoint to all of that.

Probably Wayne Hogan. Doubt we'd promote from within.
My money for interim is on Paul Griffin. Formerly AD at USF (15 years) and Ark St, vs. Wayne Hogan who was AD at Montana or Montana State for a short period. Paul is also the point person for football amongst the senior staff.

My major concern in all of this is who Bud picks as the permanent replacement. He seems to like having people who he knows from previous positions (which I think is largely bad), so I'd be looking to Colorado's athletics department for likely candidates.

#1 on the Wish List.

Source?

Methinks you're taking the correlation of large state universities to the points above and the correlation of large state universities to "thriving" athletic departments and trying to claim "thriving" athletic departments cause the above points. I'm not buying it, unless you can produce data to prove it.

My money for interim is on Paul Griffin. Formerly AD at USF (15 years) and Ark St, vs. Wayne Hogan who was AD at Montana or Montana State for a short period. Paul is also the point person for football amongst the senior staff.

My major concern in all of this is who Bud picks as the permanent replacement. He seems to like having people who he knows from previous positions (which I think is largely bad), so I'd be looking to Colorado's athletics department for likely candidates.

:turbonoes:

Define "thriving" because the Ivy League is a pretty obvious counterpoint to all of that.

Let THOSE with the $$$$$$$ be the ones to define what "THRIVING" means.

IMO, the opinion of those with the $$$$$ will be MUCH closer to the opinion of THE MAJORITY of
GT sports fans(and most opinions in here) ...than ANYONE on The Hill.

IMO, the opinion of those with the $$$$$ will be MUCH closer to the opinion of THE MAJORITY of

Your insistence on using BOLD, UNDERLINE, and $$$$ make me believe you less.

Data or GTFO

Those with money also care about academics. There are a lot of large schools that don't even field FBS football teams. You sound like you want to follow the Dwag plan.

#1 on the Wish List.

Bigger is not always better. Tech has little interest in being bigger than it currently is, in part because there is next to no physical space onto which it can become bigger. Those more professors you cite are generally not as strong of researchers as the people Tech hires right now.

Evidence? In fact, this is often false, as comprehensive universities have more students but also more majors, so the number of students per major is much smaller. Thus, the faculty have fewer opportunities to teach interesting advanced courses because there are fewer students to take them.

Have any evidence of that? The top 25 universities for research expenditures in 2009 (source) were:

Johns Hopkins
Michigan
University of Washington
MIT
UC San Diego
Wisconsin
Penn
Columbia
Stanford
UCLA
Pitt
Duke
UNC
Washington University in St. Louis
Minnesota
Penn State
Harvard
Yale
USC
Ohio State
Vanderbilt
Georgia Tech
Case Western Reserve
Texas
Caltech

You know what all but two universities ranked above Georgia Tech have that we don't? A medical school. Yes, that's right, we have the third highest research expenditures of US universities without a medical school, after MIT and Columbia.

Evidence for that?

Last edited:

From the press release, it looks like I nailed this one (albeit the release says "acting" instead of "interim").

I'd be looking to Colorado's athletics department for likely candidates.

Please let me be wrong on this.

Back