AD Wish List....

Bigger is not always better. Tech has little interest in being bigger than it currently is, in part because there is next to no physical space onto which it can become bigger. Those more professors you cite are generally not as strong of researchers as the people Tech hires right now.

Evidence? In fact, this is often false, as comprehensive universities have more students but also more majors, so the number of students per major is much smaller. Thus, the faculty have fewer opportunities to teach interesting advanced courses because there are fewer students to take them.

Have any evidence of that? The top 25 universities for research expenditures in 2009 (source) were:

Johns Hopkins
Michigan
University of Washington
MIT
UC San Diego
Wisconsin
Penn
Columbia
Stanford
UCLA
Pitt
Duke
UNC
Washington University in St. Louis
Minnesota
Penn State
Harvard
Yale
USC
Ohio State
Vanderbilt
Georgia Tech
Case Western Reserve
Texas
Caltech

You know what all but two universities ranked above Georgia Tech have that we don't? A medical school. Yes, that's right, we have the third highest research expenditures of US universities without a medical school, after MIT and Columbia.

Evidence for that?

Well, I certainly kicked over a yellow jacket nest on this topic didnt I?

Sorry, but I dont want GT to be...Johns Hopkins.

But can we be GT...AND...have a THRIVING athletics program?

Michigan, Penn State, USC, Texas, and others seem to have developed a way. Why cant GT?

If ever needed, Tech, with assistance from the state, could expand and take over the student ghetto, Home Park.

Got some commas into that bitch, didn't I?

Have any evidence of that? The top 25 universities for research expenditures in 2009 (source) were:

Johns Hopkins
Michigan
University of Washington
MIT
UC San Diego
Wisconsin
Penn
Columbia
Stanford
UCLA
Pitt
Duke
UNC
Minnesota
Penn State
Harvard
Yale
USC
Ohio State
Vanderbilt
Georgia Tech
Case Western Reserve
Texas
Caltech

You know what all but two universities ranked above Georgia Tech have that we don't? A medical school. Yes, that's right, we have the third highest research expenditures of US universities without a medical school, after MIT and Columbia.

Evidence for that?

No Berkeley on this list? Also, Columbia definitely has a medical school. College of Physicians and Surgeons if I recall correctly. I assume you meant CalTech.

Well, I certainly kicked over a yellow jacket nest on this topic didnt I?

Sorry, but I dont want GT to be...Johns Hopkins.

But can we be GT...AND...have a THRIVING athletics program?

Michigan, Penn State, USC, Texas, and others seem to have developed a way. Why cant GT?

All the ones you underlined are either private or 2-3x our size.

If you can't see the difference in institutional situations between those schools and ours, they should take your degree back for being a dumbass.

If you see the difference and then ascribe all of the differences to the AD, then you're hopeless.

With the money we were spending on drad, we can get ANYONE we ---- well please. mal Moore of Alabama, Mike holder of Oklahoma state, Rob mullens of Oregon. Let's go get us some respect.

With the money we were spending on drad, we can get ANYONE we ---- well please. mal Moore of Alabama, Mike holder of Oklahoma state, Rob mullens of Oregon. Let's go get us some respect.

OSU and Oregon's success is due to super-wealthy mega-donors who decided to dump $100M+ into their college teams. I don't think the ADs have had much to do with that.

Then where will the students live?

By then Tech will be so expensive they'll have work it off in subterranean peasent-labs constructed under the new buildings. They can sleep under their desks.

OSU and Oregon's success is due to super-wealthy mega-donors who decided to dump $100M+ into their college teams. I don't think the ADs have had much to do with that.

Just like DRad had dick to do with the Brock and McCamish donations!

All the ones you underlined are either private or 2-3x our size.

If you can't see the difference in institutional situations between those schools and ours, they should take your degree back for being a dumbass.

If you see the difference and then ascribe all of the differences to the AD, then you're hopeless.

OK. So forget private schools.

Michigan, Texas, PennState, etc. werent always
as big a they are now. There were reasons why those schools got to be so big. GT used to be less than half its current student size.

IF...GT wants to have a thriving athletics program,
something needs to change.

Since football is the primary $$$ generator for the GTAA, the ever-increasing number of empty seats at BDS is not an encouraging sign. Neither is the current GTAA debt in the $250M range, if I'm correct.

Do we want to be more like a Michigan that has good academcis and athletics, or a Johns Hopkins, good academics and almost no athletics ?

Johns Hopkins
Michigan
University of Washington
MIT
UC San Diego
Wisconsin
Penn
Columbia
Stanford
UCLA
Pitt
Duke
UNC
Minnesota
Penn State
Harvard
Yale
USC
Ohio State
Vanderbilt
Georgia Tech
Case Western Reserve
Texas
Caltech

Imagine what we could do with a medical school if the BOR would allow us to have one.

President Peterson controls the hire. If he wants to relax admissions standards for athletes he can do it anytime he wants no matter who is AD. IMHO, he will not hire anyone who does not accept his position on athletic admissions. Given our financial issues, that will be ongoing forever given our season ticket base, I would say we need someone strong business background

How bout that gal over at Jawga State? That would make the libs and PC crowd puff out their chest.

Go Jackets!

No Berkeley on this list? Also, Columbia definitely has a medical school. College of Physicians and Surgeons if I recall correctly. I assume you meant CalTech.

Berkeley is #34. My bad on Columbia. I totally missed them on the list I was using. I guess that makes us second in research expenditures amongst non-medical universities. Caltech is the correct spelling according to the California Institute of Technology.

Those are expensive to start and we already partner with Emory. Why do this?
+1 We get the benefits of having a medical school when it comes to research opportunities for faculty without the expense of conducting medical education (which is about the only area more expensive than engineering and physical sciences when it comes to the cost of running academic programs).

Back