Aerial route is open!

txsting

Elite level sh*tposting
Re-watching parts of UNC - it's clear that we are turning guys wide open on nearly every passing play! Especially the A-backs. Vad could improve his recognition in the passing game and take us to another level. Vad missed some passes where he made the right throw, but it was awful weather to be fair.

In our game plan, I expect to see us attack more aerially than we have in the first three games. We may throw 15-20 times. We need to put the VT defense on their heels. I'm predicting some early short passing to get Vad settled down, as his 1st quarters have been very shaky.

Same thing during the Duke game as well. Vad missed throwing to the open receiver on a shorter route. It's almost like he wants to go for the touchdown each time. I'm fine with the medium passes and let our guys try and break something in the open.

IMO, passing a whole lot is exactly what we don't want to do against VT. They will come down with a few of them. They have some pretty good cover guys and they are likely to be able to get pressure on us in passing situations. TBH I don't think we'll see a lot more of it than usual unless we get behind. CPJ prefers to get his short yards on the ground and I think he'll keep it that way.

I don't wanna see us throw unless we're past the 50. I hate that first down heave crap, cuz it usually means 2nd and 10. Which usually leads to three and out. After the 50, I agree with you... chuck the ball down field.

IMO, passing a whole lot is exactly what we don't want to do against VT. They will come down with a few of them. They have some pretty good cover guys and they are likely to be able to get pressure on us in passing situations. TBH I don't think we'll see a lot more of it than usual unless we get behind. CPJ prefers to get his short yards on the ground and I think he'll keep it that way.

They start true freshman at the corners. Just sayin.

I don't wanna see us throw unless we're past the 50. I hate that first down heave crap, cuz it usually means 2nd and 10. Which usually leads to three and out. After the 50, I agree with you... chuck the ball down field.

I agree and said as much earlier in the week. I like the play but it must be used at the right time. (I will delete this post in 1hour).

I'd like to see some high percentage short throws to Smelter on our first possession, like the come back routes for 5-6 yards. That establishes some confidence in the passing game and helps keep the chains moving. Trying to do too much with the passing game early puts us in too many 2nd and long or 3rd and long situations.

They start true freshman at the corners. Just sayin.

Which leads to believe they won't be as skilled as some others at fighting through a cut block. I think if we can get to the perimeter quick, the outside running game should be good.

It's funny to me that there still exist people who do not understand our offensive game plan.

I'd like to see some high percentage short throws to Smelter on our first possession, like the come back routes for 5-6 yards. That establishes some confidence in the passing game and helps keep the chains moving. Trying to do too much with the passing game early puts us in too many 2nd and long or 3rd and long situations.

Return of the smoke route?

(I'll delete this post in an hour or so.)

It won't be easy to pass a lot against VT. GT's OL wasn't built for superior pass protection. Plus, VT is pretty good at sacking the QB.

I'm optimistic because their two starting CBs are true frosh for this game. And although talented, they haven't had the seasons of playing against us to get experience. Hopefully our WRs can take advantage on the perimeter in both blocking and receiving. They killed us on the perimeter last year.

I think Vad just has to play more and mature. I get that he wants to throw the deepest option every time - but he'll recognize eventually the benefit of completing the easy pass as often as possible. Just look at Peyton Manning, the guy is the King of the dump-off. But the moment the defense screws up the coverage on the deep guy they're done. I hope that coach can convince him to just throw it to the most open guy: especially if Vad is seeing somebody WIDE open and still throwing to the deeper receiver.

I'm optimistic because their two starting CBs are true frosh for this game. And although talented, they haven't had the seasons of playing against us to get experience. Hopefully our WRs can take advantage on the perimeter in both blocking and receiving. They killed us on the perimeter last year.

I think the simple fact that we will have the year of experience we didn't have (sans the receiver position for the most part) in last year's game will pay dividends moving the ball outside this season.

We forget that we were essentially breaking in all new receivers and A-backs in the VPI game last year, and Orwin Smith left the game early in the second half.

Back