Aerial route is open!

Yes, and these true freshman did one heck of a job slowing down Bammer's NFL receivers.....with that said, I am hoping they make youth mistakes against our option plays.....Go Jackets!!

That actually worries me more. If they are starting as true freshmen in a program like VT, that means that they are exceptional talents.

Their two staring CBs for the season opener were projected to be Exum and the older Fuller brother I believe - both upperclassmen and all-acc types. Exum got hurt and won't play his first game til next week. That moved Manning up to a starting role. But he left the team before the season started. And the older Fuller is moving to whip linebacker due to their gameplan for us. So these guys were not supposed to be the starters - although they are talented.

I'm not saying all out air raid. I'm saying 15-20 passes. We're averaging 13. I think we see a couple more early passes than normal - get Vad established in the game and use element of surprise. If successful, then maybe a few more as we go.

We need to make more room for our bread and butter. Last year we couldn't crack 200 on the ground at 3.5 a pop....not going to get it done. In the final drive, we called at least 6 passes in 13 plays (with plenty of time remaining), completed 5, and created some balance which was finally effective.

you're right it's better.

iniILpN7Xz75E.gif

If we can win without having to use the forward pass I'm happier for it.

Throwing the ball has terrified me ever since George Godsey left.

I think the simple fact that we will have the year of experience we didn't have (sans the receiver position for the most part) in last year's game will pay dividends moving the ball outside this season.

We forget that we were essentially breaking in all new receivers and A-backs in the VPI game last year, and Orwin Smith left the game early in the second half.

Also Sims was hurt and we pressed Laskey into playing a lot before he was ready. Perkins started and was ineffective. We are much better at B this time around.

Something people forget about our pass blocking is our OL splits for the option. That leaves wide lanes for a blitzing backer or agile DL to knife through.
VT usually backs off their corners a bit. Like against UNC, the comeback should be there most of the night.

I trust Vad throwing the ball more than I did #13.

His only interception this season ended up being the equivalent of a very good punt.

And where was Micheal Summers versus UNC? Wanna see more of him tomorrow. Kid's got some talent.

Something people forget about our pass blocking is our OL splits for the option. That leaves wide lanes for a blitzing backer or agile DL to knife through.
VT usually backs off their corners a bit. Like against UNC, the comeback should be there most of the night.

Oregon's OL splits are wider than ours from what I've seen and they seem to do fine with pass protection.

Oregon's OL splits are wider than ours from what I've seen and they seem to do fine with pass protection.

I don't think they are any wider than us.
Oregon also runs a lot of screens and short drops to neutralize the defense pinning their ears back. We are usually taking shots deep which requires more time. Their OL is also better than ours. They are the best offense in the country, so comparing our pass pro to theirs is a pretty high standard of expectation.

One thing I have noticed is that the Bback screen pass has been there for big yardage but Vad seems to be inaccurate with the throws. Missed a big one to Laskey against Duke and another to Sims last week. Both throws were off target but there was plenty of room to run both times..

I don't think they are any wider than us.
Oregon also runs a lot of screens and short drops to neutralize the defense pinning their ears back. We are usually taking shots deep which requires more time. Their OL is also better than ours. They are the best offense in the country, so comparing our pass pro to theirs is a pretty high standard of expectation.

You missed my point. There are ways to account for the linebacker blitzes even with wide splits. In other words, we need to do a better job with it as a direct response to this:

If you ask CPJ about it, he'll say "We'll take what the defense gives us".

In five years everyone will be passing 80% of the time. The rules will see to that.

You can pass out of the double slot. It may be a better passing formation than running formation.

Back