After 5 weeks, who is your pick to win the MNC?

GT Adamni

Flats Noob
Mine: Michigan

Maybe it's just my hatred of Ohio State, but I think Michigan is going to beat them at the end of the year, and they aren't going to lose to anyone else before then.

Who is your pick?

If they get a chance to play for it: Louisville.

I just don't see UM getting it. I don't think Henne can take them to that level. They are LOADED with talent, but it won't be them. My pick is Auburn vs. West Virginia. I don't think that WV is good enough to play that game, but they will coast through their Big Easy schedule. Louisville will lose to WV.

Louisville will lose to WV.

The winner of that game goes to the NC game, period. I think Louisville is better than WV, but we'll see. Should be a hell of a game. When is it?

Agreed. Should be an offenisve assault. I just don't see Louisville as able to stop that option attack. But could be vice versa. The more I talk about this, the more it pisses me off!! There will be a few teams left out of this MNC. What if Auburn loses one game and wins the SEC? Is that still not better than an undefeated UL or WV? I am knd of glad I don't expect GT to compete for the MNC this year. I like the old voting system better than this BCS crap. It only works if teams are being accurately ranked throughout the season.

I like the old voting system better than this BCS crap. It only works if teams are being accurately ranked throughout the season.

I like the BCS equation that kept Auburn out of the championship game, actually. Give me the strength of schedule component back, please!

All the sportswrighters bitched because they thought it was 'broken' when the #1 played the #3 team, but that was BS because it did exactly what it was supposed to do - punish teams for scheduling patsies. Now that they've removed SOS, I can totally see why DanRad wants to schedule patsies - there's no reason not to.

If its up to the networks, the winner of the USC/ND game vs the winner of the Mich/OSU game. I hope to God there's an undefeated Big East /SEC team to throw a monkey wrench in the BCS b-llshi-.

Gotta go with the Jackets in a rematch with the Irish. Great television, historic matchup and we are as good as anyone in the country on our good days. Everyone would love this rematch.

I think I've got a ND neighbor down the street. I'm giving some thought to his dog. You really should plan ahead for important events.

"I like the BCS equation that kept Auburn out of the championship game, actually. Give me the strength of schedule component back, please! "

If SOS still mattered, I would agree. The problem lies with bias to one or another conference. I teams wee accurately assesed throughout the season, then SOS would not matter. That and the fact that schedules are made in advance. You can't always blame programs for soft schedules. i would not accuse Auburn for playing patsies, because they consistently try to play toough comp. They should have a playoff system, or go back to voting a champion and leaving tons of "what ifs" for teams across the country. I don't see a solution.

beej67 said:
I like the BCS equation that kept Auburn out of the championship game, actually.

Would you have liked it if it kept us out of the championship game in 1990? Because it would have.

Auburn played an easy non-conference slate in 2004 (The Citadel, Louisiana Tech, Louisiana-Monroe), but Oklahoma's was not anything spectacular either (Bowling Green, Houston, and 5-6 Oregon). Is that really enough difference to put a 1-loss team in over an undefeated team? Even when the 1-loss team is from a weaker league?

I call BS on the BCS "formula" - it screws up almost every time, whereas #1 in the polls vs. #2 in the polls is virtually always right.

I should requote my prediction. If OSU doesn't lose they will definetly go.

i would not accuse Auburn for playing patsies, because they consistently try to play toough comp.

...except that they ducked the Auburn-GT game that year they went undefeated, and scheduled LaTech instead...

Would you have liked it if it kept us out of the championship game in 1990? Because it would have.

It also would have kept Colorado out of it too. We had a quality win over a then-#1 and the ACC did well out-of-conference.

I should requote my prediction. If OSU doesn't lose they will definetly go.

Bold prediction. ?!

I predict that whoever doesn't lose will go. Except for Rutgers and whoever is in BYU's conference.

mm42 said:
I call BS on the BCS "formula" - it screws up almost every time, whereas #1 in the polls vs. #2 in the polls is virtually always right.

I am a proponent of a 64 team BCS and a 16 team seeded playoff tournament.

However, that would create another level of controversy on many levels. There are frankly too many teams and way too many softies filling up schedules of the good to very good teams to ever get it "right", so to speak.

All of these things make college football the greatest athletic endeavor on this planet.

Sidenote: Every year that GT goes undefeated, we should be unanimous national champs. ;)

USC vs OSU. Boring pick I know, but if the Trojans can survive their last 3 home games against the Ducks, Cal, and the ish before their version of the "hatefest" against the Bruins, they should be #1, no doubt in my mind.

beej67 said:
It also would have kept Colorado out of it too.

I seriously doubt that - Colorado played a very tough schedule in 1990 and was rated #1 in both polls. We played a perfectly respectable schedule, but were #2 in both polls and not highly regarded by computer ratings. I saw an article about this a few years ago and it stated that 1990 would have had Colorado vs. Miami; however, the formula has changed since then.

I think we will see a WVU vs. Ohio St. NC game with Ohio St. putting on an ass whipping of WVU. Of course Michigan poses a huge threat for Ohio St. Last year ND/USC was the best regular season game of the year. This year it will be Ohio St. vs Michigan, with Louisville vs. WVU a close second.

If Louisville goes to an NC game, that would make me utterly sick.

There's nobody with the talent and depth of Ohio State, so it's their's to lose. If USC runs the table that will be the MNC game. WVU/Louisville winner doesn't have a chance if there are two other unbeaten teams out there.

Back