After 5 weeks, who is your pick to win the MNC?

I liked Ohio State for the title and Troy Smith for the Heisman in August. Still do.

WVU/Louisville winner doesn't have a chance if there are two other unbeaten teams out there.

Yeah, but how often are there 3 unbeaten teams?

I was able to find a version of one of the current computer polls with rankings from 1990. We were #1 with the #8 schedule in the country.

With the current version of the formula, we're definitely in. #2 in one poll, #1 in the other, and with the computers looking strongly at win-losses (benefits us, as we had no losses), we'd be a very strong #2 at the minimum.

At any rate, we certainly would've had a better opponenent and a better bowl.

Michigan vs. tOSU winner goes to the MNC...I will guarantee that. tOSU honestly doesn't have to show up for the rest of their games until UM and, with the way Michigan has played, I think they'll beat Penn State and Iowa.

Past that, we really could have to decide between either a one-loss Auburn and the undefeated Louisville vs. WVU winner. I'm not very confident in USC going all the way, and I bet with one loss they're out. So, if the BCS chose between a one-loss Auburn team and an undefeated Big East team, I would definitely pick Auburn to win out. The poll component uses number of votes and, while I think the undefeated team will come out second, the votes will be close enough to let the Computer Rankings take Auburn to the number 2 spot.

Based on what I've seen so far - Ohio St / Auburn.

I think USC will get knocked out of the picture soon, obviously I think Michigan and LLLoyd (good for 3 Ls) Carr will get knocked off, and both Big East teams will get knocked off.

All I know is that if Auburn goes undefeated and doesn't get a shot at the Championship AGAIN, something is seriously wrong with the system. I can't fathom any SEC team going undefeated and not playing in the big game, its a tough coference, a lot tougher than the PAC 10 and Big 10 who don't even have chapmionship games.

MaconGTfan said:
All I know is that if Auburn goes undefeated and doesn't get a shot at the Championship AGAIN, something is seriously wrong with the system. I can't fathom any SEC team going undefeated and not playing in the big game, its a tough coference, a lot tougher than the PAC 10 and Big 10 who don't even have chapmionship games.
I'm not crazy about that logic (that an undefeated SEC team should get in before all others). The year that Auburn went 13-0 and didn't get in, I thought Okl and USC were there 2 best teams and both deserved to be there based on the schedules that they played. The goal each year should be to get the best 2 teams in the BCS-C game.

If it happens again this year, I believe Auburn should get in. They play the SEC skd plus Washington State (and 3 others cupcakes). I'm sure there are other out there that play tougher schedules (like us) but won't be in the mix for the BCS-C game.

I'm not convinced USC will be beaten in the Pac 10. There are several other teams that are dangerous and flashy, but I don't think any of them play good enough defense to beat the Trojans. If USC beats ND I think it will be them and THE OSU for the title, no matter what WVU/Louisville/Auburn do.

Leave strength of schedule in the equation, that way if UGA wins SEC, they have no shot at BCS Championship.

ncjacket said:
I'm not convinced USC will be beaten in the Pac 10. There are several other teams that are dangerous and flashy, but I don't think any of them play good enough defense to beat the Trojans. If USC beats ND I think it will be them and THE OSU for the title, no matter what WVU/Louisville/Auburn do.

In total agreement! if USC wins out I think the coaches and sport writer will have an impact and name USC/OSU for the MNC!

Back