After last night, is anyone else concerned about the VT game?

Athletic Supporter

From a certain point of view
I recall last year, although the final score was close, feeling that we pretty much outplayed Virginia Tech. I'm still optimistic, but after their performance last night I am concerned about our ability to do so again this year.

Am I alone on this?

Someone tell me it's all going to be okay.

Yes, I am concerned about their defense.

If you take away FSU's one long run in the 4th quarter, VT held them to 1.1ypc. Their secondary also had 3 interceptions. This is going to be a tough defense.

Not sure why anyone would not be concerned, as it were, about playing one of the 4 good teams on our schedule at their place.

But a lot can happen until then.

You can never predict how good a team is 1 game into the season, or how they will be affected by injuries and experience as the season progresses. We play them on a Thursday night in Blacksburg, so that's challenging enough, even if they had looked bad against FSU.

I was genuinely surprised by how well VT played considering it was Tallahassee at night. Sure, an opening game, but they're off to a fast start, while FSU (Miami, too) are in a world of hurt. The way I look at it, VT looks a whole lot tougher, but Miami, a more winnable game already as it's at home, looks there for the taking now. The performance against LSU was sadly recognizable to me for a Richt team.

I was genuinely surprised by how well VT played considering it was Tallahassee at night. Sure, an opening game, but they're off to a fast start, while FSU (Miami, too) are in a world of hurt. The way I look at it, VT looks a whole lot tougher, but Miami, a more winnable game already as it's at home, looks there for the taking now. The performance against LSU was sadly recognizable to me for a Richt team.

It was pretty protypical Richt. Then again, Richt has a way of always squeaking out a win at Bobby Dodd. We will see what happens.

Right now, VT is looking like the team to beat in the Coastal.

They should cruise into the top 10 being undefeated when they host a potential still top 10 ND. W&M, East Carolina, Old Dominion, and Duke before ND.

Our defense better turn it up a few notches.

The big surprise to me was how effective Foster's boys were against a team they hadn't seen before

I think there’s two answers for me here. I’m concerned because it’s a road night game against one of the better teams on the scheduled. But I’m certianly not as concerned as I should be for playing a #12 ranked team on the road.

Their offense is just not scary at all - which is weird because that’s what Fuente was supposed to bring. Jackson might be the least intimidating QB in the conference. Their WRs are all mediocre. No big TE mismatch like they had with Hodges. The RB certainly looked more explosive than what they’ve been fielding the last 5 years. But that’s not saying much.

We pretty much know what we’re gonna get with our O vs their D. Around 250 rushing yards, 120 passing, and 28ish points. So anything their defense did last night doesn’t mean much. We’re not gonna throw 15 bubble screens and line up in shotgun from the 1.

Id give it as a toss up at a neutral field. So it’ll be tough going to the heir house. Although is important to note that their “home field advantage” has all but evaporated the last decade. We’re 3-3 at their place since ‘06. ‘08 loss was a late FG. ‘10 they needed Nesbit to break his arm to beat us by a score. ‘12 they won in OT. ‘06 and ‘16 we demolished them. So I’ve personally become a lot less worried about Lane.

They just can’t recruit like they used to when they had Hampton/VA Beach locked down. When they lose Foster they’re gonna be in big trouble.

I recall last year, although the final score was close, feeling that we pretty much outplayed Virginia Tech. I'm still optimistic, but after their performance last night I am concerned about our ability to do so again this year.

Am I alone on this?

It is tough to come to many conclusions about VT's defense since FSU looked so, so bad. But VT's offense, at least,e was pretty uninteresting all night. They had 13 'real' drives (ie, not including the possession obtained on the blocked punt, nor the kneel down at the end of the game). They started with a long TD drive, then a short FG drive off a fumble... then had nine straight drives that ended on punts or 4th-and-failed. And a lot of those drives were ugly. Of those nine, only one went more than 30 yds. Another went 23 yds. And six went less than 10 yds. They averaged 2.8 yds/rush and 8.0 yds/pass attempt... neither of those are particularly good.

VT is probably the third or fourth best team we'll play all year, so we should definitely consider them a tough match-up, and perhaps we won't outplay them this year. But it's certainly a winnable game.

VT defensive line was impressive. There LB's and DB's are very good. Jackson doesn't impress me at all. They are a good team but it will be the typical chess match between Foster and CPJ. I don't think they are unbeatable by any means. I also agree a lot of things can happen in the meantime.

I can't recall a game where I didn't have a concern about our defense. Maybe back in the mid-2000's. It's been 15+ years, that's for sure.

Nah.

They’ll barely beat W&M this weekend. Might even lose. Tell James Madison we said hi.

Am I alone on this?

Not worried at all. We will beat them by three touchdowns. No sweat. Quit being so negative.

Back