After we beat Pitt...

Chan also had looser restrictions from the Hill. And there was something magical about watching the immense amount of NFL talent wasted by Patrick Nix. And then watching Ghan go 0 for ever against the mutts. With that talent.
A couple of points:
1 - I'm not defending Chan. He sucked as a head coach. But there's no arguing that he put more & better talent into the NFL than what Paul has been able to do. Losing to the dwags every year was inexcusable...especially given the talent he had here.
2 - The restrictions on Chan were not that much different than what Paul enjoys now. I have been told by someone who should know that Paul has never used all of his 'exemptions' in any single year. As a matter of fact, most years we do not use any of those exemptions.

A couple of points:
1 - I'm not defending Chan. He sucked as a head coach. But there's no arguing that he put more & better talent into the NFL than what Paul has been able to do. Losing to the dwags every year was inexcusable...especially given the talent he had here.
2 - The restrictions on Chan were not that much different than what Paul enjoys now. I have been told by someone who should know that Paul has never used all of his 'exemptions' in any single year. As a matter of fact, most years we do not use any of those exemptions.

The exemption argument is the crux of so many assertions (right or wrong) that assign blame for our talent level to the school itself and yet there is nothing about those numbers out in the light of day. It’s all heresay. I can think of nothing better to really understand our talent disparity issue than settling this debate about who could get in (wanted to get in) and who could not (did not want to) over the course of the last few regimes.

In the end it’s ether the chicken: CPJ can’t recruit because he is gruff and runs a unique system largely incompatible with the NFL

Or the egg: the academics don’t want to play ball and so we effectively don’t and no amount of coaching is going to significantly alter that.

Or a maybe a grilled chicken omelette: while it seems dirty and sacrilegious, CPJ’s scheme gives us a punchers chance that can sometimes bridge the inherent talent gap that will always hold GT back from being a football power.

The fear, while pessimistic but not beyond reason, becomes that without the scheme to cover for the talent disparity it’s back to the days of “Welcome To The Cellar, TEKKIES” unless we strike it rich on an up and comer where traditional powers like USCw, Texas, Florida, Tennessee and Michigan have wandered for years without stability or winning anything of note. Remember when Nebraska was a power? Do any of those schools have our coursework restrictions, in-state competition for recruits, alumni base, student body characteristic? Why are those teams still struggling to reassert themselves at the top of the mountain?

At some point the people losing their minds over the USF game need to honestly explain to themselves why they expect GT to be good at football using reasons that don’t live in the 20th century and then rectify that with whichever reality they subscribe to above.

The fear, while pessimistic but not beyond reason, becomes that without the scheme to cover for the talent disparity it’s back to the days of “Welcome To The Cellar, TEKKIES” unless we strike it rich on an up and comer where traditional powers like USCw, Texas, Florida, Tennessee and Michigan have wandered for years without stability or winning anything of note. Remember when Nebraska was a power? Do any of those schools have our coursework restrictions, in-state competition for recruits, alumni base, student body characteristic? Why are those teams still struggling to reassert themselves at the top of the mountain?

At some point the people losing their minds over the USF game need to honestly explain to themselves why they expect GT to be good at football using reasons that don’t live in the 20th century and then rectify that with whichever reality they subscribe to above.

This is what a lot of people need to get through their heads. I'm not on either side of the fence when it comes to CPJ at this point, and if we continue to perform like we have recently throughout the rest of this season and miss a bowl that might be it for me, personally.

BUT, what makes anyone think firing CPJ will make us better when traditional powers like the ones you listed above who have every advantage possible over GT continue to struggle?

The exemption argument is the crux of so many assertions (right or wrong) that assign blame for our talent level to the school itself and yet there is nothing about those numbers out in the light of day. It’s all heresay. I can think of nothing better to really understand our talent disparity issue than settling this debate about who could get in (wanted to get in) and who could not (did not want to) over the course of the last few regimes.

In the end it’s ether the chicken: CPJ can’t recruit because he is gruff and runs a unique system largely incompatible with the NFL

Or the egg: the academics don’t want to play ball and so we effectively don’t and no amount of coaching is going to significantly alter that.

Or a maybe a grilled chicken omelette: while it seems dirty and sacrilegious, CPJ’s scheme gives us a punchers chance that can sometimes bridge the inherent talent gap that will always hold GT back from being a football power.

This post deserves its own thread. Especially the point about those large powers that lose to less talented teams.

I assume (and that’s all it is, an assumption) that the probation we’ve been off and on for the last few years may have an impact on the number of exceptions coming down from the Hill or being sought by Paul Johnson.

For the record, I’m mostly believe the grilled chicken omelette theory.

Back