Afternoon/Evening Games Thread

They have thrown a prodigious amount of stuff. I wish I could say something about Vols fans. But, unfortunately, I was at the 1978 and 1980 Tech-Notre Dame games.
I was having some flashbacks to the early 90's. I seem to remember volleys of dozens up to 50+ qty of 20-24 oz hard plastic cups been thrown down from the upper East stands to the lower East stands. I don't remember about the West stands, and the North end zone was tiny compared to today. This happened whether it was good or bad news from the field. We scored, they scored, didn't seem to matter. Overall 100's , (perhaps 1000's by games end) of those cups would be tossed downward. I don't remember if they ever really hit the sideline or track (I doubt it), but it was a disturbance none the less. It seemed to fade out as the 90's progressed. Anyone else seem to remember something similar around that time frame?

I was curious whether he actually got the first down, so I went to the Tennessee board because I figured they've analyzed it like the Zapruder film. I was correct. In fact one poster said it was "worse than the Zapruder film".

Three different camera angles. The people who seem to have thoroughly analyzed it say he was down a yard or a half-yard short.

I was having some flashbacks to the early 90's. I seem to remember volleys of dozens up to 50+ qty of 20-24 oz hard plastic cups been thrown down from the upper East stands to the lower East stands. I don't remember about the West stands, and the North end zone was tiny compared to today. This happened whether it was good or bad news from the field. We scored, they scored, didn't seem to matter. Overall 100's , (perhaps 1000's by games end) of those cups would be tossed downward. I don't remember if they ever really hit the sideline or track (I doubt it), but it was a disturbance none the less. It seemed to fade out as the 90's progressed. Anyone else seem to remember something similar around that time frame?

Yeah, I remember a tongue-in-cheek Technique article from the early or mid 90s explaining the physics of why a cup thrown from the upper east hurts when it lands on you in the lower east, because throwing stuff was so prevalent back then.

When the student section was behind the visitor bench, they used to throw ice or bottle caps at the visitors (I remember one instance against UVA in particular). (That was when vendors walked through the stands selling “mixers,” as they called them.) And of course there was the seat cushion game in 1995.

Somebody threw a water bottle from the club section during, I think, the Pitt game this year and almost hit somebody on their sideline.

JRjr

Back