Again, why aren't we paying recruits families?

H-town

Helluva Engineer
1. It's not against the rules if the player doesn't know about it.
2. A booster can do it.
3. This Tuitt recommit stinks of money.

4. If you assume everyone else is, why do you assume we are not?

Also, your #1 is patently false.

4. If you assume everyone else is, why do you assume we are not?

Also, your #1 is patently false.
yup, especially if you assume ND does, then you can assume for anyone else as well.

This is not like comparing very corrupt SEC schools with the rest.

2. A booster can do it.

First of all...GT is not a big fish. If were to try that stuff, we would get HAMMERED by the NCAA. See the one probation we received. The penalty was far worse than the crime.

Second of all...back in 1990, it felt sooooo good that we won without any tarnish. Certainly something like that was lightning in a bottle, but it was worth it knowing we won the MNC that year without cheating or buying cars.

Third of all....From what I hear...at GT, cheating if frowned upon. If that's the case, it would make GT look like worse hypocrits than the Auburns and UGAgs of the world.

Its like what was once said about Kentucky basketball getting caught: "The NCAA is so mad at Kentucky, they will slap another two years probation on Cleveland State."

GO JACKETS!!
byteback

I know this is a tongue-in-cheek thread, but I still don't understand a few things. One, what exactly indicates that this is dirty deal? A stupid 18 year old kid (note: all 18 year olds are stupid) did a stupid kid thing, and flip flopped. He could have decided that he wanted to play for the Catholics more. He could have decided that there's better looking girls up in North Bend, which would probably be wrong. He could have decided to side with his overbearing mother. He could have been handed a large sack of money. He could have gotten really high and had a vision of Dora the Explorer telling him to go to ND. No one here knows. Until I'm given some real evidence that money changed hands, it's a pointless conjecture.

Second, I would like to think my program is above this type of petty behavior, because we all know that you don't get paid by Tech until after you graduate.

2. A booster can do it.

If a booster can do it, why don't you?

doublefacepalm.jpg

Schools never give money. It is always the boosters, and it probably happens at all big schools. The question is whether or not the school knows about it or not, and to a greater extent whether or not they facilitate the transaction.

I would like to think that the GT athletic department knows nothing about any boosters giving players money and that if a big prospect or parent openly asked for money then the school would say no and not try to hook them up with a booster.

Right...you won't be punished if they can't catch you. That doesn't really need to be stated I don't think. Even if the player DOES know, they can't punish him if they can't prove anything.

Right...you won't be punished if they can't catch you. That doesn't really need to be stated I don't think. Even if the player DOES know, they can't punish him if they can't prove anything.

Cash is hard to trace. Unless the NCAA can push the IRS to audit the Mom (I don't think they have that power) how is it even possible for them to trace the money?

I don't think the NCAA can say "Ms. Tuitt just bought a Mercedes therefore we are ending Stephon Tuitt's college career".

Cash is hard to trace. Unless the NCAA can push the IRS to audit the Mom (I don't think they have that power) how is it even possible for them to trace the money?

I don't think the NCAA can say "Ms. Tuitt just bought a Mercedes therefore we are ending Stephon Tuitt's college career".

Besides the fact that if she is smart she would wait until Tuitt graduates until she spends it.

If she keeps a bag of money hidden in the basement and waits to spend it, what is the NCAA gonna do, break down her door?

Schools never give money. It is always the boosters, and it probably happens at all big schools. The question is whether or not the school knows about it or not, and to a greater extent whether or not they facilitate the transaction.

I would like to think that the GT athletic department knows nothing about any boosters giving players money and that if a big prospect or parent openly asked for money then the school would say no and not try to hook them up with a booster.

Schools dont give out money, no ****.

The coaches and boosters get together to organize a whole scheme on paying players. UGA does it, Auburn Does it, Tennessee does it, Clemson does it, UNC does it, etc.. Ive heard storys about most of these programs. Not only in Baseball, but Football as well.

Besides the fact that if she is smart she would wait until Tuitt graduates until she spends it.

If she keeps a bag of money hidden in the basement and waits to spend it, what is the NCAA gonna do, break down her door?

It didn't stop Herchel's parents from showing up in Macon weeks after he signed with UGAg buying gold-plated plumbing fixtures with cash for the new house being built behind the tarpaper shack they lived it at the time.

GO JACKETS!!
byteback

2. A booster can do it.

You're an imbecile in more ways than I can describe, but from a purely logical point of view, I'll say how you're wrong.

1. No, no, no, no. It is absolutely against the rules. Cam Newton was a special case because a) his parent only solicited money and no money actually changed hands and b) he did not attend the school where his parent solicited money. Once the NCAA does prove money really changed hands for the school he DID commit to, Auburn will get probation worse than USC.

2. No, no, no, no. True, it's far, far worse if a school's administration is complicit with boosters, as the Texas governor was with SMU boosters. But there's a reason that most NCAA punishments are for "lack of institutional control" and not for schools directly violating NCAA rules. Schools are supposed to put a lot of effort in reigning in their boosters, with schools punishing boosters if they run afoul of rules.

3. Yeah, I kind of agree with this one.

4. Another point that you're neglecting, and the biggest reason why we shouldn't gratuitously pay off recruits. GT is not a school that earns the NCAA a big portion of TV revenue, and therefore they would make an example of us like they did with SMU. Other schools were doing what SMU was doing, but SMU happened to be in a major city with a lot of sports reporters and they were not a golden child of the NCAA. If we run afoul of the NCAA, there's no way we get the same protection like Georgia or Florida, and that's just the way it is.

Schools dont give out money, no ****.

The coaches and boosters get together to organize a whole scheme on paying players. UGA does it, Auburn Does it, Tennessee does it, Clemson does it, UNC does it, etc.. Ive heard storys about most of these programs. Not only in Baseball, but Football as well.

But the money always comes from the boosters. Maybe if you actually read my post:

I said plain and clear that schools often know about it and facilitate the transactions. But you either read one sentence out of a paragraph and claimed to understand the whole thing or have the reading comprehension of a second grader.

The athletic departments of public schools are subject to state auditing at any time so they would get caught pretty easily. On top of that, why would they waste their money when there are willing boosters?

Cam Newton was a special case because a) his parent only solicited money and no money actually changed hands and b) he did not attend the school where his parent solicited money. Once the NCAA does prove money really changed hands for the school he DID commit to, Auburn will get probation worse than USC.

We'll see. In the meantime, CM's Dad is laughing all the way to the bank. Auburn is laughing all the way to the podium. And GT is stuck with a top 50 recruiting class when we actually had 25 ships to give this year.

BTW, do you not think Marbury got paid? Really? If so, you're an imbecile.

Because we are ethical. We should be above cheating. Georgia Tech is about doing things the right way.

Back