AJ Green apologists

So you want the NCAA to allow players to sell college jerseys or get a cut of those sales? Think about the epic advantage that would give Texas, Notre Dame, Alabama etc. "Come here and we expect your product sales to be X. Over at GT, they will only be Y."

I know you purport to be a proponent of a free market, so try thinking about what "free" market means and apply it to a situation where a player may not have any interest in an education, but is forced to accept that for payment if he wants to have a shot at the NFL.

Your view is rather like saying national indentured servitude is ok if everyone gets free schooling, healthcare, etc. And so you don't try and stick that on someone else, let's say that mandatory service applies to 55-60 year olds.

The player's don't have a choice. All I'm saying is---don't use their names to make money on apparel or their images in video games without paying them a portion of the sales. You have a right to your own image. I'm willing to agree that a player gives up that for broadcasts in exchange for the scholarship. But the merchandising and other stuff takes that consent beyond the pale.

Nobody is forcing him to go to school. Let him work out on his own or go to another country to play proffessionaly until he's good enough to make an NFL squad. If he wants the national exposure and extensive football training that college programs offer, then he needs to jump through their hoops.

The schools are offering a very valuable service to collegiate student athletes, and there is no incentive to do so if they can't profit from it as well.

So you want the NCAA to allow players to sell college jerseys or get a cut of those sales? Think about the epic advantage that would give Texas, Notre Dame, Alabama etc. "Come here and we expect your product sales to be X. Over at GT, they will only be Y."

good point also 4 games for Green according to ESPN. Misses Arkansas, and Miss. State.

It's what's wrong in society today, The rules only apply when we want them to.
AJ knew what the rules were if he did not then uga should be held responsible, either way he should be suspended. IIRC this NCAA rule is in, partly because of what some of the mutts did with sec championship rings. The Rules apply to everybody dont like them, change them but until then don't break them and not expect CONSEQUENCES.

True story: Up until a few years ago, the selling of memorabilia by student-athletes was not against the rules. Then some real smart UGA players decided to sell their SEC championship rings. And the NCAA really had a problem with that. So they banned it outright.

Now, UGA fans are crying because the big, bad NCAA is coming down hard on poor little AJ Green who is probably just tryna' feed his family. Apparently, reading comprehension isn't part of the curriculum in Athens, because poor Mr. Green failed to understand the rules.

UGA fans have only their own players to blame for this. This makes it that much funnier.

Dumb idiot media. Dumb idiot mutt fans.

Get caught breaking the rules? Well, the rules are bad!!!

What a crock.

Between their scholarships that pay for everything and Pell Grant money that the majority of them get also, they are fine. No way in hell should college athletes be paid. It would cause even more issues.

You guys are crazy if you think athletes shouldn't get paid. As I stated before, the millions of dollars these colleges making, atleast 5-10% should be allocated to the players. These athletes work more hours than all of you guys on this board. All I'm hearing from you guys is "well they get a free education". How much value is that degree if you don't have any work experience unlike your fellow classmates, especially in the job market today. Then you keep harping about how there should be playoff in college football. So you expect college kids to play 16-18 games, something they don't even do in the NFL, a not to get payed then either?

I have read several years ago that it costs about $50,000 per year for each football player to go to a major college. That is $250,000 for five years. That is a lot of payment in a free college degree ride for any individual. It also is a place for him to showcase his abilities for a pro career. He is getting much more out of his paid 5 year degree than any of the other students.

There are many students who cannot even afford to go to college. The athlete is getting the better break in life than the non-athlete. NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, No college athlete should ever get paid for playing for a college team, he is getting more than his due already.

There should be a law passed that a college player's team should get any royalties from the sale of apparatus with his name on it. This will help the colleges with funds to keep the athletics in the plus column rather than the negative column each year.

Paying college kids will destroy athletics in all but the fewest of colleges. Only the Texas, Sou. Cal, Michigans, Alabama, etal will be able to survive. The rest will have to give up football, including GT. Most of the money for GT sports comes from donors and TV, not the gate receipts. When the donors quit giving, all of the colleges will have to give up football.

Father Time

I know you purport to be a proponent of a free market, so try thinking about what "free" market means and apply it to a situation where a player may not have any interest in an education, but is forced to accept that for payment if he wants to have a shot at the NFL.

Your view is rather like saying national indentured servitude is ok if everyone gets free schooling, healthcare, etc. And so you don't try and stick that on someone else, let's say that mandatory service applies to 55-60 year olds.

The player's don't have a choice. All I'm saying is---don't use their names to make money on apparel or their images in video games without paying them a portion of the sales. You have a right to your own image. I'm willing to agree that a player gives up that for broadcasts in exchange for the scholarship. But the merchandising and other stuff takes that consent beyond the pale.

How can you say they have no choice? Someone from Georgie kidnap AJ Green?

What you are saying is they have no better choice. They could play in Europe. They could probably play in Canada. They could simply work out for a few years.

The free market shows that there is a huge demand to play for Georgie. AJ Green gets to play in exchange for all-expenses paid. Other players play for free. Hundreds of kids pay their own way to go to camps dreaming of the opportunity for the "raw deal" AJ Green is getting.

If you want to argue collusion that the colleges (through the NCAA) are working together to limit the "compensation", I'll listen to that point. Is that really legitimate? I do not know. (but giving all players the same tiny stipend doesn't change that).

One last point, if you don't think that your employer can make you sign away your likeness, you are sadly mistaken. Georgie, like all colleges, have all the ability in the world to have that as a condition of their agreement.

You guys are crazy if you think athletes shouldn't get paid. As I stated before, the millions of dollars these colleges making, atleast 5-10% should be allocated to the players. These athletes work more hours than all of you guys on this board. All I'm hearing from you guys is "well they get a free education". How much value is that degree if you don't have any work experience unlike your fellow classmates, especially in the job market today. Then you keep harping about how there should be playoff in college football. So you expect college kids to play 16-18 games, something they don't even do in the NFL, a not to get payed then either?

It will just cause even more issues. Schools will start giving more then they are supposed to, it will get uglier then it is now.

No, I don't think schools should use a player's name on the jersey's. Period.

But if they do use a players, name, then yeah, I have aproblem with someone not getting paid. Forgive me, I'm a capitalist.

I have read several years ago that it costs about $50,000 per year for each football player to go to a major college. That is $250,000 for five years. That is a lot of payment in a free college degree ride for any individual. It also is a place for him to showcase his abilities for a pro career. He is getting much more out of his paid 5 year degree than any of the other students.

There are many students who cannot even afford to go to college. The athlete is getting the better break in life than the non-athlete. NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, No college athlete should ever get paid for playing for a college team, he is getting more than his due already.

There should be a law passed that a college player's team should get any royalties from the sale of apparatus with his name on it. This will help the colleges with funds to keep the athletics in the plus column rather than the negative column each year.

Paying college kids will destroy athletics in all but the fewest of colleges. Only the Texas, Sou. Cal, Michigans, Alabama, etal will be able to survive. The rest will have to give up football, including GT. Most of the money for GT sports comes from donors and TV, not the gate receipts. When the donors quit giving, all of the colleges will have to give up football.

Father Time

I completely agree FT

I agree that he broke the rules.

But I think everyone can see the obvious NCAA hypocrisy here: you can buy an AJ Green jersey--made popular by him--and he doesn't get a dime of it. This punishment garners sympathy for Green because that is ridiculous, although what he did was still wrong.

Without even getting into the ridiculousness of the rule or the debate of college players getting paid - he sold the jersey to AN AGENT. Just a few short months after the NCAA sat Dez Bryant down for something similar. If nothing else, college players should know that they can't take money from agents. He deserves punishment for stupidity alone.

If they don't want to play, they don't have to play you know. I'm not aware of any person who was ever forced to play college football. So why is it that thousands of HS kids are chomping at the bit every year to go to college and play for a scholarship or as a walkon?

All NFL teams play at least 20 games btw.

Yes, considering it's not a professional sport. Never got paid before, why start now.

Most are getting an opportunity to improve their lives that they would not get without a scholarship. Most would never be accepted to the schools they are at, let alone go for free and get enough help to make sure they graduate.

You put in a lot of work but you also get a lot out of it.

They DO get paid, man!

They get their education for free and all that comes with it.

They DO get paid, man!

They get their education for free and all that comes with it.

Plus I guarantee over half our team on scholarship has pell grant money coming in every semester, and that's a couple thousand dollars they can do whatever they want with since everything else is paid for.

How can you say they have no choice? Someone from Georgie kidnap AJ Green?

What you are saying is they have no better choice. They could play in Europe. They could probably play in Canada. They could simply work out for a few years.

The free market shows that there is a huge demand to play for Georgie. AJ Green gets to play in exchange for all-expenses paid. Other players play for free. Hundreds of kids pay their own way to go to camps dreaming of the opportunity for the "raw deal" AJ Green is getting.

If you want to argue collusion that the colleges (through the NCAA) are working together to limit the "compensation", I'll listen to that point. Is that really legitimate? I do not know. (but giving all players the same tiny stipend doesn't change that).

One last point, if you don't think that your employer can make you sign away your likeness, you are sadly mistaken. Georgie, like all colleges, have all the ability in the world to have that as a condition of their agreement.

First---there is no real choice here--there is a clear monopoly. But that's an arcane legal discussion I'd prefer not to get into today.

Second, the free market would allow a player to negotiate his wage: the NCAA declares you ineligible if you try to do that. The other options generally don't exist because the NCAA and NFL have worked out a fairly cozy agreement---the NCAA gives the NFL unfettered access to evaluate talent at relatively low costs. In return then NFL doesn't start a leagueup for minor league talent.

Third, the NCAA teams make huge profits from football and then redistribute it to other sports, coaches, and insanely nice facilities. These things often taken on the form of indirect compenstation, which is allowable (nice locker rooms with tv's, etc.)

Fourth, while most players recieve a net benefit, the real stars--like AJ Green and Calvin Johnson--generate revenue far beyond what they recieve. If the NFL were forced to evaluate talent at the HS level or some other level, they'd still find them. Instead, its more efficient for the NFL to have this situation with college.

But all of this creates a tension between a university's academic mission, the NFL's desire for accurate scouting, the university's profit motives, and a player's best interest. It leaves several players getting paid peanuts compared to what they generate for the school.

The argument can't be "they are getting a great deal" because if that's true, then the universites will necessarily be subsidizing or at best, breaking even on the athletic front. And if that's the case,you've run afoul of the academic mission. Or, if it is about redistributing the revenue to other athletes in other sports---I think we know how some of you feel about redistribution. And for all of this, the athletes get an education that some do not want or care for. Others do want that education and benefit immensely, many because of the "great" atheletes among them.

All of this is to say I don't think a lot of this is clear cut. But I think one of the most base examples of things getting out of hand is a school sellign a jersey with someone's name on it.

At that point, the school is using an athlete's own name to generate a lot of revenue for itself.

I know an employer can bargain for the right to your image, but the bargain is part of the game. I'm suggesting, and I think quite rightly, that a player agrees to play and have their image broadcast, but not to be a merchandising tool for the school.

Keep in mind I've never said AJ shouldn't be punished. I think the punishment of 4 games is about right. Maybe 5 or 6 would have been better. But the punishment emphasizes the hypocrisy here---not that the rule that he violated is bad (it isn't) but the fact that the other things are done at the same time makes the NCAA and schools out to be bad actors.

Back