AJ Suggs..

Father WASP

Flats Noob
Don't be surprised if Suggs turns out to be the most underrated, improved player on our squad.

True, everyone is assuming Bilbo is going to be it. But injuries or lack of Bilbo playing up to expectations may force it back to AJ.

My reasoning? First, Suggs will have the benefit of a QB coach for the first time.

Second, I think alot of the picks and bad reads were a result of some bonehead calls within a helter skelter offense. I think this year, with Gailey taking over, at least there will be a philosophy. What we had with OB was leftover plays from Friedgen without cohesion.

Third, I think AJ has some underrated talent and within the confines of the right offense, can be effective.

Is he as athletic as Bilbo? no. Can he run the option? no. But what he can do is provide a steady hand and be accurate on short, low-risk passes and run the offense.

I look for AJ to be much improved.

I've not been fond of Suggs at UT or GT, but nevertheless, he's a Jacket. I hope that all of our players do well - its to our benefit. Hope that you're right about A.J.

yeah .. but he didn't do anything in the spring to display confidence or flair of a returning starter .. he did start all games right?

he was pushed to the backseat and at times it looked like the coaches actually were going 1-2 with bilbo and pena.

i watched practices and people keep saying that suggs is a great practice QB but he didn't inspire in practice either.

Father Wasp, I agree that all three could be better. A good quarterback coach will make an individual play within his capabilities. The QB coach will not have the individual attempting things that is not consistent with his abilities.

This does not mean I think Suggs will be the starter, but I think he will be improved.

The one problem I have noticed with Suggs appears to be a slowness in processing information and taking action on it. He seems to be too deliberate and has not learned to automatically react to situations.

You don't have much time to think in many situations, you have to use previously learned reactions without thinking about them.

wink.gif

I'd agree with ahsoisee on this one. Suggs just seemed to slow to make the reads and react last year. BOB was probably not a help to him, but for someone to have played as many years of college FB as him to be that slow is worrisome. Some TN buddies of mine said the same thing before he ever played a down for Tech. But if he improves and can lead us to wins I'm all for it.

AJ seemed to be too mechanical in his approach last year. It looks like he thinks too much instead of reacts.

Let me put it succinctly, I hope I never see AJ under center for Tech again. This guy broke my heart too many times when he had easy plays and it seems that his brain would freeze. But the one thing that turned me sour on AJ was the FSU game after he had twice given the game away, with his last interception being with 20 seconds to go and
to see this guy laughing and fraternizing with the seminoles less than a minute after giving the game away is unforgable. I can forgive him for having limited talent and I can forgive him for making mistakes but I can't forgive him for being so cavallier about a crushing loss. I agree with Ahso that he seemed to regress and I think that can be attributed to OB but I saw AJ when he was playing for the Vols pass for almost 400 yards at Baton Rouge and then the next two games he self destructed and we all know that the Vols always have top flite offensive coaches and when they felt he was damaged goods we ought to have passed on him. Since he is one of us I hope him the very best but I think we should commit this season to solidifying this position by playing one of the incoming freshmen behind Bilbo and look to the future.No one can convince me that we have a shot at Auburn or FSU and probably BYU on the road with AJ. Now that we have a QB coach we should develop the kids. This is not a slam but I think we should let him get his degree and go on without him.

Originally posted by Big Buck:
Let me put it succinctly, I hope I never see AJ under center for Tech again. This guy broke my heart too many times when he had easy plays and it seems that his brain would freeze. But the one thing that turned me sour on AJ was the FSU game after he had twice given the game away, with his last interception being with 20 seconds to go and
to see this guy laughing and fraternizing with the seminoles less than a minute after giving the game away is unforgable. I can forgive him for having limited talent and I can forgive him for making mistakes but I can't forgive him for being so cavallier about a crushing loss. I agree with Ahso that he seemed to regress and I think that can be attributed to OB but I saw AJ when he was playing for the Vols pass for almost 400 yards at Baton Rouge and then the next two games he self destructed and we all know that the Vols always have top flite offensive coaches and when they felt he was damaged goods we ought to have passed on him. Since he is one of us I hope him the very best but I think we should commit this season to solidifying this position by playing one of the incoming freshmen behind Bilbo and look to the future.No one can convince me that we have a shot at Auburn or FSU and probably BYU on the road with AJ. Now that we have a QB coach we should develop the kids. This is not a slam but I think we should let him get his degree and go on without him.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">AMEN! May we NEVER see him under center ever again. That's one of my biggest complaints with CG,...we stuck with him way too long and he killed us. Simply put,..when it came nut-cutting time,...he folded. Clemson, FSU, Wake,......had his chance,...now it's time for someone else. And now all of a sudden, CG is harping about Dbo being consistent,or the need to improve in that area. MY GOD,...what about last season and the INT's. Why didn't he harp about it last year and make the change?

GATA JACKETS!!!

Unlikely FW, unless CG issues a quick hook on Bilbo. This is my biggest fear. A year of no hook on AJ and then a premature hook on Bilbo, whose athletic talents are legions beyond AJ's. I hope we stick with him through the first 4 very difficult games, so as to at least have a chance later vs. ugag. Bilbo having played last year from the time he threw the TD in the WF game on, would sure be valuable about now. THWG

Short of several broken legs among DBo's back-ups, I'm SURE we'll never see Suggs again, not after the look on CG's face at the end of the Fresno first half. Well, he might run out with cups of water, late in the game.

Originally posted by bobby dodds ghost:
Knowing Gailey's conservatism...Suggs will probably start the game at BYU
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">BDG.. you forgot to say, "BOO" after stating Suggs would probably start vs BYU...

grin.gif

I have faith. ...I still say that "Damarious Bilbo" is too good of a name NOT to be a great player!

Not to diss A.J. but the boy is just too slow afoot. He can't move them feets, man. If DBo or one of the frosh can't get it together we're in trouble.

You are right, gnats.....If we have a QB that can perform, there will be a lot of surprised folks this year. Otherwise, we're right where the "experts" put us.....

Originally posted by Big Buck:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Buck: Another good post here and I agree with most ... very slow a foot and brain freeze. I hope as a senior he does all to encourage the young players!

Just finished rewatching GT vs. NCSU last year. In the 24-17 win Suggs looked so calm and poised and led us to a victory. The only thing that hurt him badly was his extreme inconsistency to the point where he looked inept at times. I think he will be greatly improved, but Bilbo is the guy.

I agree with the assessment of Suggs. By the way, what actually happened with Pena? I never heard if he was homesick, couldn't handle the academics, not good enough etc...

Back