Ajani Kerr

So your saying they failed to convert on 3rd&1 twice on that drive not counting the long pass on 3rd&1 at the end. I'm guessing Fuente knew exactly what coverage he was going to get. They just didn't complete the play. Great play by our corner.
VT had zero 3d & 1's on that drive prior to the final one where they threw a 15 yd out route that went incomplete.

I think you're right that Fuente suspected the coverage he would get. But even a favorable matchup like they got doesn't make a 37 yd pass a high probability play — or at least not as high a probability as a 1 yd run.

VT had a good matchup on 4th down (without the benefit of hindsight), but you've gotta run it at least once on 3rd or 4th down. They also took their sweet time on that last drive, and used one of their timeouts when the clock wasn't moving.

I thought it was one of the worse in-game coaching performances I've seen lately.

I just rewatched the last few plays. On 3rd and 1 it looked like we were in Nickel and the run would have most likely picked up enough for a 1st. They might have wanted to throw to catch us off guard. IDK. I can see the frustration there, but at the same time 2nd/3rd and short is always a popular time to take a shot knowing you can run it on 4th. Which is exactly what it looks like they were going to do lining up with 3 in the backfield.

From there we walked everybody down to sell out on the run and here’s where Fuentes to the TO. Which makes sense. They lost 3 yards earlier in the game on 4th and 2 when we sold out on the run. He didn’t like the look and I think you can even see Phillips pointing at Kerr before the TO. Wouldn’t be surprised for him to have kept the same playcall with a pass audible if we lined up the same way after the timeout. Which we did.

Watching again I’m pretty confident he had a run called and called the TO specifically to throw at Phillips against Kerr.

You can’t just call run because of the down and distance and ignore what the defense is doing. He probably didn’t have much faith in his OL picking up the 1st against our defensive formation.

Dude think. They were picking up small chunks of yardage against a prevent defense wanting them to bleed clock. You don't call plays in a damn vacuum. You think they would have been throwing short passes and runs if we had lined up in goalline from the beginning of the drive? :lol2:
What are you talking about? We did line up in a 'stack the box' defense on their 4th & 1, and VT rushed for the first down. See for yourself:

But then Fuente decided to go for broke. Whatevs. I'm happy he made the mistake he did.

Fuente did what Johnson would do and that is go for the win on a play where there was a safer option. Hard to fault him for that.

I can understand the call, even though I would not have made it. They were really struggling to move the ball and already had to convert multiple 4th downs on the drive. The time was also running pretty low - chances are they would have to throw downfield to win anyway. Might as well strike when the iron is hot, with the most productive WR in your school's history matched up in man press coverage against a freshman.

That was got damn close to being a complete disaster. Kerr made a hell of a play because the pass was there.

I would have been apoplectic if we had lost by 1 after the three ring circus on the 2 point try.
By the time he's a junior, he will be picking crap like that off as easy as your mom.

The third down play was an RPO. The fourth down play was a one man route targeting their best receiver against a Rs-Fr corner. After watching the UVA game they probably felt good about that call. VT didn't realize it was Ajani's house.

Back