Ajani Kerr

Disagree on that one. A 32+ yd pass is never going to be as likely to happen as a 1 yd rush. There was plenty of time to keep playing for first downs there.

It wasn't just a 1-yard rush, it was a 1-yard rush, then making however many plays you need to make to go 32 yards and score without screwing up. The odds of that aren't anywhere near 100%.

I do think it was dumb to not run on 3rd and 1, and I think it would've been better to run on 4th and 1, but they got a good match-up on 4th. It was a favorable play--probably over 50% they haul it down and win.

Only we needed a yard, it was first and goal, NC St was tired, there was a minute left, we had Pj Daniels at Running back, and had a timeout in our pocket until Nix choked and didn't know how to call a sneak or handoff to Daniels
And wouldn't a FG have tied it up? I was at that game but have been trying dearly to forget it.

It wasn't just a 1-yard rush, it was a 1-yard rush, then making however many plays you need to make to go 32 yards and score without screwing up. The odds of that aren't anywhere near 100%.

I do think it was dumb to not run on 3rd and 1, and I think it would've been better to run on 4th and 1, but they got a good match-up on 4th. It was a favorable play--probably over 50% they haul it down and win.
I still think its a dumb call even if they score there. They would have been up 1 (assuming xp good) and we would've had 1:00 left with 2 (or 3?) TO's to drive and kick a fg to win. They had already shown they were incapable of covering the slot deep post. I like our chances there too. If they back everybody up to cover deep then we gash them with the run and get ob or spike it after 1st downs.

Disagree on that one. A 32+ yd pass is never going to be as likely to happen as a 1 yd rush. There was plenty of time to keep playing for first downs there.

Y’all are equating scoring the TD and picking up a one yard rush and ignoring that they still have 30 yards to score if they run it and convert. I think there’s arguments both ways but I don’t fault him for the call.

Y’all are equating scoring the TD and picking up a one yard rush and ignoring that they still have 30 yards to score if they run it and convert. I think there’s arguments both ways but I don’t fault him for the call.
It’s the final play if the game if you dont make it. You gotta stay alive no matter what.

Reminded me of the Gailey playcall in the NCSt loss.

The one that hit 6'5" Calvin Johnson in the hands and had he not touched it would have gone harmlessly out of the back of the endzone except he deflected it right to a defender? Or am I thinking of something else?

VT had a brain fart...that was the worst play call I can remember.. thank God.. even if they made it they left us way too much time on the clock... I thought as much as soon as the ball was in the air

I still think its a dumb call even if they score there. They would have been up 1 (assuming xp good) and we would've had 1:00 left with 2 (or 3?) TO's to drive and kick a fg to win. They had already shown they were incapable of covering the slot deep post. I like our chances there too. If they back everybody up to cover deep then we gash them with the run and get ob or spike it after 1st downs.

+1. This is the real reason it was a dumb play selection. The pass to the end zone was a high risk call which, even if successful, would have left enough time on the clock for Tech to get into FG range to win the game. Running on 3rd, and 4th if necessary, would have given them a fresh set of downs and they could have used as much clock as they wanted.

+1. This is the real reason it was a dumb play selection. The pass to the end zone was a high risk call which, even if successful, would have left enough time on the clock for Tech to get into FG range to win the game. Running on 3rd, and 4th if necessary, would have given them a fresh set of downs and they could have used as much clock as they wanted.

Agree with this. Run for the first down and earn 4 chances to throw a TD pass.

They got what they wanted, sell out against the run / single coverage with the R-Fr against their best receiver. So, I guess you can say it was the 'right' call in some ways if you make that call, but you don't have to win the game on that play. That would have been the 3rd 4th-down conversion of the DRIVE - our D was gassed.

It’s the final play if the game if you dont make it. You gotta stay alive no matter what.

What’s the point of “staying alive” in hopes you can get that matchup again. Their OL sucks. Their RB is meh. And their QB isn’t the greatest. You’ve got literally the best possible matchup you can have as VT. I mean give it some probabilities. They’re probably thinking that’s a 50/50 ball at worst to go up with under a minute left - in fact they’d probably give it better odds than that. Based on the rest of the game, it was probably not >50% that they score with a 1st and 10 from the 30.

I can see the argument that it looks bad to throw two incompletions after it’s 3rd and 1. But I still don’t have a problem with either call on their own. Especially 4th and 1 with that matchup. Grow a pair and give your best player a chance to win the game.

Again, we had like 8/9 in the box against a bad OL. There’s no guarantee they even pick up the 1st there running.

If you get it right you're a genius if you don't you're a failure. That's why they get paid the big bucks.

What’s the point of “staying alive” in hopes you can get that matchup again. Their OL sucks. Their RB is meh. And their QB isn’t the greatest. You’ve got literally the best possible matchup you can have as VT. I mean give it some probabilities. They’re probably thinking that’s a 50/50 ball at worst to go up with under a minute left - in fact they’d probably give it better odds than that. Based on the rest of the game, it was probably not >50% that they score with a 1st and 10 from the 30.

I can see the argument that it looks bad to throw two incompletions after it’s 3rd and 1. But I still don’t have a problem with either call on their own. Especially 4th and 1 with that matchup. Grow a pair and give your best player a chance to win the game.

Again, we had like 8/9 in the box against a bad OL. There’s no guarantee they even pick up the 1st there running.
On their final drive VT's offense had marched the ball 47 yards with the following 10 plays: (1) 5 yd pass, (2) 3 yd rush, (3) 1 yd pass, (4) 3 yd rush, (5) 1 yd pass, (6) 5 yd pass, (7) 1 yd rush, (8) 19 yd pass, (9) 6 yd rush, (10) 3 yd rush. They didn't have a single negative yardage play, nor even an incomplete pass (until the two long incompletions on 3d & 1 and 4th & 1). They were moving the ball well and had rushed for a first down on a 4th and 1 once already.

The idea that throwing a 32 yd pass on 4th and 1 is the right move, when the game is on the line, is beyond me. I guess I'm just a more cautious sort.

It’s not that bad of a call. I figured they’d go for the end zone on one of the two downs. That they went for it both times was a little surprising but not something I’d be really upset about if I were a Hokie.

On their final drive VT's offense had marched the ball 47 yards with the following 10 plays: (1) 5 yd pass, (2) 3 yd rush, (3) 1 yd pass, (4) 3 yd rush, (5) 1 yd pass, (6) 5 yd pass, (7) 1 yd rush, (8) 19 yd pass, (9) 6 yd rush, (10) 3 yd rush. They didn't have a single negative yardage play, nor even an incomplete pass (until the two long incompletions on 3d & 1 and 4th & 1). They were moving the ball well and had rushed for a first down on a 4th and 1 once already.

The idea that throwing a 32 yd pass on 4th and 1 is the right move, when the game is on the line, is beyond me. I guess I'm just a more cautious sort.

So your saying they failed to convert on 3rd&1 twice on that drive not counting the long pass on 3rd&1 at the end. I'm guessing Fuente knew exactly what coverage he was going to get. They just didn't complete the play. Great play by our corner.

Only we needed a yard, it was first and goal, NC St was tired, there was a minute left, we had Pj Daniels at Running back, and had a timeout in our pocket until Nix choked and didn't know how to call a sneak or handoff to Daniels
We blew the timeout earlier, dude. Had to pass. They were keyed up on the face. That particular play call was one of the few Hailey actually got right. Reggie just threw it too high.

We blew the timeout earlier, dude. Had to pass. They were keyed up on the face. That particular play call was one of the few Hailey actually got right. Reggie just threw it too high.
Nope. Time out was after the run by Reggie. NC State's defense had a good rest right in front of my LE seats. I was cussing the entire time

Dude think. They were picking up small chunks of yardage against a prevent defense wanting them to bleed clock. You don't call plays in a damn vacuum. You think they would have been throwing short passes and runs if we had lined up in goalline from the beginning of the drive? :lol2:

Yep.

They had a better chance of winning by getting the first, bleeding clock, and then taking 3 slightly harder shots at the endzone.

VT had a good matchup on 4th down (without the benefit of hindsight), but you've gotta run it at least once on 3rd or 4th down. They also took their sweet time on that last drive, and used one of their timeouts when the clock wasn't moving.

I thought it was one of the worse in-game coaching performances I've seen lately.

Back