AJC article comments

augustabuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
Upon reading todays KS article about Spring practice, I noticed this comment, "
Posted by Birminham__Jacket at 9:24 a.m. Apr. 3, 2013
<LI class="sprite iconFlagged">Report Abuse Agree with Smithenator. OL a "strength"? Sure... Against Duke and Elon. Lets revisit this statement after we play Clemson, Miami and UGA.

@CT Jacket. Just can't see 9 wins. Scheming and coaching changes only go so far. Coach Johnson's repeated failures on Signing Day in February cannot overcome his "genius" play calling.....At least not against the Big-Boys."

The facts- rushing/total offense:

DU 330/449
CU 339/483
UM 287/419
UG 306/426

Does anyone have an opinion whether "Birmingham_Jacket" is a dwaggie or a Tech. "fan" with an agenda?

Also, does anyone know when and why the AJC changed their criteria for commenting?

Analyzing AJC comments will only lead to headaches and hemorrhoids.

Analyzing AJC comments will only lead to headaches and hemorrhoids.

This...the comments section is amazing. And ther are a couple GT fans who continuously post on there all the while getting trolled left and right. It's gotta be about 95% trolls and the rest retarts...

Upon reading todays KS article about Spring practice, I noticed this comment, "
Posted by Birminham__Jacket at 9:24 a.m. Apr. 3, 2013
<LI class="sprite iconFlagged">Report Abuse Agree with Smithenator. OL a "strength"? Sure... Against Duke and Elon. Lets revisit this statement after we play Clemson, Miami and UGA.

@CT Jacket. Just can't see 9 wins. Scheming and coaching changes only go so far. Coach Johnson's repeated failures on Signing Day in February cannot overcome his "genius" play calling.....At least not against the Big-Boys."

The facts- rushing/total offense:

DU 330/449
CU 339/483
UM 287/419
UG 306/426

Does anyone have an opinion whether "Birmingham_Jacket" is a dwaggie or a Tech. "fan" with an agenda?

Also, does anyone know when and why the AJC changed their criteria for commenting?

The georgia stats prove how deceiving numbers can be. The offense did perform well against the other teams listed though

The georgia stats prove how deceiving numbers can be. The offense did perform well against the other teams listed though

We screwed up against UG trying to extend plays, but claiming we didn't move the ball against them is misstating facts.

We screwed up against UG trying to extend plays, but claiming we didn't move the ball against them is misstating facts.

Moving the ball is meaningless if it results in no points. We got stopped repeatedly. Held to FG attempts, turned over, forced to punt, stopped on fourth. Stopped.

Not a good offensive performance.

Moving the ball is meaningless if it results in no points. We got stopped repeatedly. Held to FG attempts, turned over, forced to punt, stopped on fourth. Stopped.

Not a good offensive performance.

Exactly.

We had 426 yards last year and 428 in 2008.

In 2008 it was like we couldn't be stopped. In 2012 we couldn't find the endzone until they emptied the bench.

Exactly.

We had 426 yards last year and 428 in 2008.

In 2008 it was like we couldn't be stopped. In 2012 we couldn't find the endzone until they emptied the bench.

In 2008, UG turned the ball over but last year, Tech. turned the ball over.

Jesus effing christ

A öööö thread about the COMMENTS section on the AJC? If you are still "debating" with people on there, then please kill yourself.

KnoxJacket is spot on with our issues last year. In the big games, we moved the ball between the 20s very effectively. Our issues surfaced once the field was compressed and we often either settled for FGs, turned it over, or turned it over on downs because the FGs units were terrible.

I attribute a lot of those issues to playcalling and predictability. Go look at the film in the UGA and FSU losses. Failed opportunities were killers. Granted the Defense in the UGA completely sucked and sucked for 30 mins in the FSU game. But we had chances in both of those games where we couldn't finish the drive because of limited playcalling and the inability to own the line.

From some of the stuff I saw with Vad in the bowl game, I was encouraged that maybe just maybe CPJ realizes we have to spread the field and use other plays beyond QB sneak, ABack dive, or RocketToss. When we get inside the 15, if we don't pick up 4 to 6 yards on 1st down we are normally screwed because we run it on 2nd down and then try a failed pass attempt on 3rd down. Variety in the play calling has to change.

Picking up yards between the 20s hasn't been the biggest issue in big games, it's been picking up 7 and we have not been consistent in that area in two or three years.

I do wish PJ would go back to a set he used a lot in short yardage at Southern - bring in two extra tackles to line up at tight end, bring in a fullback and an offset back and put his best running back at the tail of an I formation. I think he used it a little bit at Tech at the beginning but I don't think he liked it very much, so he got away from it.

At Southern, he had an all-American defensive tackle who was 6-1 and about 295 plus and a defensive end as the lead blockers for Adrian Peterson, and a kid who ran a 4.4 at quarterback. So he could fake to AP and roll to the outside and nobody could catch him. Or he could give it to AP and nobody could tackle him.

What hurt us against Georgia too was getting down so big so quick. Against Miami, we needed a find a way to back them off the line of scrimmage. I think PJ got a little too conservative and I can't blame him for not wanting to put the ball in the air on first down with a lead in the fourth quarter. But he needed to find a way to burrow out a couple of first downs in the fourth against the Turdicanes.

Since the AJC re-did its comments section (and I haven't bothered to delve into this myajc.com hooey), I had long forgotten my password and other stuff so I don't bother reading the postings. Not like there's much to be gleaned from them, anyway.

KnoxJacket is spot on with our issues last year. In the big games, we moved the ball between the 20s very effectively. Our issues surfaced once the field was compressed and we often either settled for FGs, turned it over, or turned it over on downs because the FGs units were terrible.

I attribute a lot of those issues to playcalling and predictability. Go look at the film in the UGA and FSU losses. Failed opportunities were killers. Granted the Defense in the UGA completely sucked and sucked for 30 mins in the FSU game. But we had chances in both of those games where we couldn't finish the drive because of limited playcalling and the inability to own the line.

From some of the stuff I saw with Vad in the bowl game, I was encouraged that maybe just maybe CPJ realizes we have to spread the field and use other plays beyond QB sneak, ABack dive, or RocketToss. When we get inside the 15, if we don't pick up 4 to 6 yards on 1st down we are normally screwed because we run it on 2nd down and then try a failed pass attempt on 3rd down. Variety in the play calling has to change.

Picking up yards between the 20s hasn't been the biggest issue in big games, it's been picking up 7 and we have not been consistent in that area in two or three years.

I'll make you a wager for any away game you want next season (I'll be too drunk to do this properly for all the home games). I'll call it the "I'll have to watch the tape" challenge. We'll sit down and watch a game together and I'll give you a dollar for every play you can call correctly before the snap, but you'll give me a dollar for every play you can't.

Terms:

1) We'll record your play calls in sequence, post them to StingTalk after the game, and let all our experts here decide if you're right or wrong on each one we can't agree on. At the end, the awarding of disputed decisions that are still not resolved will be decided by a public poll to remain open for 2 days.

2) You can call as many plays as you want before the snap or the A-back motion, whichever occurs first, but only the most recent play you've called completely counts. If you can't finish your first play call before the snap, I'll give you the option to dispute that you didn't have enough time to StingTalk, if you win this dispute, no dollar will be exchanged by either of us for that play.

3) Any play that is not successfully snapped before a time out or a delay of game, or any play that is blown dead for any other penalty, does not count. (to be clear, penalties that do not stop play, even if they reverse gains, will still be evaluated in the challenge)

4) Only offensive plays count, but you can call defensive and special teams plays for bragging rights.

5) To count as a correct play, you must at least name:

-The type of play (IE: Pass, triple option, dive, etc)

-The player who will get the ball or be targeted on a pitch or pass, by specific position, jersey number, or name. ('Left A-back', 'motion a-back' or 'B-back' are specific enough positions, 'A-back' or 'running back' are not.)

-The direction of the play (middle, left, right)

How's about it?

One of the reasons I really loved the B-Back pass to Sims in the Sun Bowl. We almost never pass the ball once we break the 15 yard line.

I get it. In the red zone you really don't want to have to pass. Much safer to keep the ball on the ground. But we need the opposing defense to RESPECT the throw. Or at the very least, not be afraid to throw it if they absolutely sell out on the run.

What gives on the challenge? Not saying I am one of these guys that thinks I have outsmarted CPJ.

All I was saying is that he is very, very predictable inside the 20. How many of us almost fainted with the ABack pass to Sims in the bowl game?

My statement was to simply say that type of variety helps avoid situations like the Miami game where the entire Defense is on record for saying they knew the original play called and knew we were going RocketToss on the audible. And the thread started with comments about stats and our ability to move the ball in certain games. Basically that against some of the best competition we do get our yards and get them in chunks.

My point is that is true but as others have stated as well our achilles heel last year was the inability to covert those yards into points and TDs at that.

Never said I could read the guys mind. Just think he needs to expand the playbook inside the 20.

Proof positive. GA Tech was 80% in the red zone in 2012 with 65 trips (66% TDs, 13% FGs). By comparison, Clemson was 94% on 59 trips (73% TD, 23% FG), FSU 91% on 71 trips (70% TD and 21 FG), UGA 86% on 50 trips (76% TD and 10% FG), and finally Alabama 90% on 62 trips (74% TDs and 16% FGs).

You want to have a better year in 2013 start converting the red zone trips into TDs and not FGs, turnovers, or turnovers on downs. We had almost as many opps as some of the top end offenses last year, but the difference is our success rate was crappy and I personally say one of the big issues there is lack of creativity when we get into those positions.

What gives on the challenge? Not saying I am one of these guys that thinks I have outsmarted CPJ.

All I was saying is that he is very, very predictable inside the 20. How many of us almost fainted with the ABack pass to Sims in the bowl game?

My statement was to simply say that type of variety helps avoid situations like the Miami game where the entire Defense is on record for saying they knew the original play called and knew we were going RocketToss on the audible. And the thread started with comments about stats and our ability to move the ball in certain games. Basically that against some of the best competition we do get our yards and get them in chunks.

My point is that is true but as others have stated as well our achilles heel last year was the inability to covert those yards into points and TDs at that.

Never said I could read the guys mind. Just think he needs to expand the playbook inside the 20.

Proof positive. GA Tech was 80% in the red zone in 2012 with 65 trips (66% TDs, 13% FGs). By comparison, Clemson was 94% on 59 trips (73% TD, 23% FG), FSU 91% on 71 trips (70% TD and 21 FG), UGA 86% on 50 trips (76% TD and 10% FG), and finally Alabama 90% on 62 trips (74% TDs and 16% FGs).

You want to have a better year in 2013 start converting the red zone trips into TDs and not FGs, turnovers, or turnovers on downs. We had almost as many opps as some of the top end offenses last year, but the difference is our success rate was crappy and I personally say one of the big issues there is lack of creativity when we get into those positions.

Just a friendly wager. We can modify the terms to specify inside the 20's or even just in the red zone if you want.

Very hard to argue those stats. You're correct when you say that Johnson doesn't like to get away from his base plays when it's crunch time. As far as I'm concerned I think he's lost his "edge".

Back