AJC article on OOC Scheduling

ContactBuzz

Probably Drinks Cosmopolitans
Sorry there's no link provided but it's not difficult to find...

"As for the season opener in the Georgia Dome sponsored by Chick-fil-A, Radakovich doesn’t envision Tech playing in it anytime soon.

ACC rival Virginia Tech will participate next year against a yet-to-be-named opponent, probably from the SEC.

But Tech is interested in being a part of that kickoff weekend, Radakovich said, perhaps by playing an attractive nonconference game on the preceding Thursday or on Labor Day."

Great idea as long as it becomes THE Thurs night ESPN game. We get to keep the home game but capitalize on all of the attention from the Saturday game.

Well, we can kiss goodbye ever seeing a game like ND 2006 in the near future.

once again, logic elludes you

btw, you know we have a home and away with Bama 'in the near future' right???

From RW.com
Tech will play the Crimson Tide in Tuscaloosa in 2012, and then Alabama will play in Atlanta at Bobby Dodd Stadium/Grant Field in 2014.

i guess for you, like most 8-yr olds, "near future" means the next 20 minutes or something

We've got Ole Miss coming up. Maybe you can take a road trip out to the Grove and see what an actual woman looks like.

From a national exposure stand point, having a really good opening OOC game, on a Thursday night would be great. It would get us on TV and make us the topic for a few days before the Saturday games. I can't imagine too many teams would be lining up for it though, since we run a hard to defend offense, and getting embarrassed in Game #1 doesn't look great.

From a tailgating perspective, I would be mad, because Thursday night games are different then Saturday games. But I don't live in the South anymore, so I can't make games regardless and anything to get Tech football on a station other then internet streams is alright in my book.

Sorry there's no link provided but it's not difficult to find...

"As for the season opener in the Georgia Dome sponsored by Chick-fil-A, Radakovich doesn’t envision Tech playing in it anytime soon.

ACC rival Virginia Tech will participate next year against a yet-to-be-named opponent, probably from the SEC.

But Tech is interested in being a part of that kickoff weekend, Radakovich said, perhaps by playing an attractive nonconference game on the preceding Thursday or on Labor Day."

Great idea as long as it becomes THE Thurs night ESPN game. We get to keep the home game but capitalize on all of the attention from the Saturday game.

You know, I like DRad and all but what is with his damn obsession with Thursday night games? Screw Thursday, I want the dome.

From a tailgating perspective, I would be mad, because Thursday night games are different then Saturday games. But I don't live in the South anymore, so I can't make games regardless and anything to get Tech football on a station other then internet streams is alright in my book.

We're going to have a Thurs home game per season anyway - I'm all for the Thurs night opener as long as it's the only Thurs night home game (unlike this season).

You know, I like DRad and all but what is with his damn obsession with Thursday night games? Screw Thursday, I want the dome.

If obsession means "contractually obligated per the ACC - ABC/ESPN deal to play one Thurs night ESPN game at BDS@HGF per season", then obsession it is.

I think in his opinion if GT is going to play in atlanta then he wants all of the money for himself. On a home game he gets to keep a lot larger percentage of the gate and makes money on the concessions. If he sends us over to the dome he's only losing money and not gaining a whole from the publicity aspect.

I still prefer Thursday night games to 12:00 saturday games...

Thursday night games mean more exposure, as there's not as much competition. We've always gotten our Thursday night games on ESPN, usually with their first tier commentators. I don't know about you, but a Thursday night game on a national channel trumps a Raycom game at noon on Saturday. Plus, Bobby Dodd looks gorgeous for those night games with the skyline in the background.

first off, we were doing this way before DRad came here and we do it to be the only game on TV, which as you know, we generally get outmuscled by the SEC games going on all around us

secondly, SCREW the DOME. the dome sucks. i would MUCH RATHER see a game at BDS that in the Pink Dome. we are, after all, GEORGIA TECH. and we do have our own stadium.

not to mention, if we can barely sell out 50k, why would we need 80,000 seats? for more ND fans?

secondly, SCREW the DOME. the dome sucks. i would MUCH RATHER see a game at BDS that in the Pink Dome. we are, after all, GEORGIA TECH. and we do have our own stadium.

Pink? Try red and black (for the Falcons, but still).

Pink? Try red and black (for the Falcons, but still).

maybe you have never been there, but it is pink on the outside

Georgia_Dome.JPG

I wouldn't mind two Thursday night games as long as one of them was opener. I like starting practice a little early, and I like the idea that we could get with the Atlanta Sports Council and sell 2-for-1 packages to our game and the Saturday one.

If we work the money deal right, we can essentially rig it so we are ALWAYS in the Kickoff Classic, as the opening act, for national exposure. That could work out very well for us.

Over the spring/summer the GA Dome was re-painted on the inside and outside.

slideshow_655671_dome.0802-7.jpg

maybe you have never been there, but it is pink on the outside

Maybe you haven't been there recently. Not to mention the stadum renovations were a huge deal on the message boards in the offseason because of the change in color scheme.

Wikipedia entry....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_Dome

Renovations
In 2006, the Atlanta Falcons and the Georgia World Congress Center Authority announced a $30 million renovation to the Georgia Dome. The project was separated into two stages. The first stage, which took place before the 2007 NFL season, focused on updating the premium seating areas, including the creation of eight "super-suites."[2] The renovations for 2008 will be more apparent to visitors of the Georgia Dome. The exterior of the stadium was repainted from its original color scheme to the Falcons color scheme, and the stadium's original teal seats were replaced with red seats in the 100 and 300 levels and black seats in the general admission areas of the 200 level. The seats in the club sections were already replaced in the earlier renovation. The entrance gates and concourses are also being renovated and updated before the 2008 football season.[3] [4]

It looks a lot better after the renovations...it used to look very outdated(which I guess it was and still is). I don't think Tech needs a game in the Dome though...there will either be a lot of empty seats or a lot of opposing fans. Maybe in three or four years.

Back