AJC article on OOC Scheduling

maybe you have never been there, but it is pink on the outside

Maybe you haven't been there recently. Not to mention the stadum renovations were a huge deal on the message boards in the offseason because of the change in color scheme.

Wikipedia entry....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_Dome

Renovations
In 2006, the Atlanta Falcons and the Georgia World Congress Center Authority announced a $30 million renovation to the Georgia Dome. The project was separated into two stages. The first stage, which took place before the 2007 NFL season, focused on updating the premium seating areas, including the creation of eight "super-suites."[2] The renovations for 2008 will be more apparent to visitors of the Georgia Dome. The exterior of the stadium was repainted from its original color scheme to the Falcons color scheme, and the stadium's original teal seats were replaced with red seats in the 100 and 300 levels and black seats in the general admission areas of the 200 level. The seats in the club sections were already replaced in the earlier renovation. The entrance gates and concourses are also being renovated and updated before the 2008 football season.[3] [4]

i stand corrected.

too bad Falcons colors were copied from UGa's colors!

i stand corrected.
too bad Falcons colors were copied from UGa's colors!

That does suck. Originally when Atlanta was awarded an expansion team the colors of the Falcons were a blend of red, black, white and gold to incorporate both the colors of Georgia Tech and Georgia (notice no navy was involved). The original Falcon helmet had some gold striping down the middle and I believe the pants and some gold piping as well.

football_helmet_atlanta_mid.jpg

(sort of difficult to see with the angle on this authentic helmet)

Last edited:
GT in the Dome will never happen for 2 reasons. First, the whole idea is about filling up hotels and restaurants in Atlanta with people who wouldn't be in town anyway. With that in mind, a game at the Dome doesn't accomplish anything that a home game on campus wouldn't. Second, it doesn't make sense to play in Atlanta and give away home field advantage by letting 20,000 visiting fans in the stadium. If GT plays a neutral site game, it would have to be in a different city, and for the time being, we don't have the fan base to make that happen.

You're right, Dome won't happen but a Thurs. or Labor Day ticket will, against a big opponent as well. Probably 2 to 3 years down the road.

I don't know about that. Why not play in Jacksonville against NCS or Ole Miss or USF or UF for that matter? That's where this is all headed really. Cities are dumping their home teams for out of town money. Jax will be the next venue to play this game and we're a perfect team to participate. We bring 20,000, USF/UCF/Ole Miss/Alabama brings plenty.

So teams come into Atlanta and we go to Charlotte, Jax, Orlando, Tampa, D.C. or New Orleans. That's all this is, cities trying to make bowl games at the beginning of the year.

GT in the Dome will never happen for 2 reasons. First, the whole idea is about filling up hotels and restaurants in Atlanta with people who wouldn't be in town anyway.
Nevermind the fact that Gary Stokan, the head of the Atlanta Sports Council, has said he would like for Tech to be in the game at the dome.

You're right, Dome won't happen but a Thurs. or Labor Day ticket will, against a big opponent as well. Probably 2 to 3 years down the road.

This has been happening already. Personally, I'm in favor of moving the Tech-UGAG game to a Labor Day CFB Kickoff. Frees T'giving for a rest weekend for the big ACCCG for us the first w/e in December, and it gives both our programs a competitive feature game that will dwarf whatever the sorry Dome-group wants to try to pull off. All of the real hometown fans will have their game, and we can tell the Dome crowd to go take a hike.

This has been happening already. Personally, I'm in favor of moving the Tech-UGAG game to a Labor Day CFB Kickoff. Frees T'giving for a rest weekend for the big ACCCG for us the first w/e in December, and it gives both our programs a competitive feature game that will dwarf whatever the sorry Dome-group wants to try to pull off. All of the real hometown fans will have their game.

Stinger to take it one step further, it makes UGA/GT the dominant player for the first weekend not only in Atlanta but the whole country. IF the ASC wants to play ball, then lets' play ball.

Secondly, I would like the ACC to do one of the two things for the next ten years (re: ACCCG): Move the game to the highest ranked teams' home field and give 20,000 seats to the opponent OR Move the game up one week and play it in Atlanta. If we do the latter, then we must play UGA first, which would be fine with me.

This has been happening already. Personally, I'm in favor of moving the Tech-UGAG game to a Labor Day CFB Kickoff. Frees T'giving for a rest weekend for the big ACCCG for us the first w/e in December, and it gives both our programs a competitive feature game that will dwarf whatever the sorry Dome-group wants to try to pull off. All of the real hometown fans will have their game, and we can tell the Dome crowd to go take a hike.
Do you want to give UGA the entire summer to prepare for our offense? as opposed to 1 week, maybe 2?

Nevermind the fact that Gary Stokan, the head of the Atlanta Sports Council, has said he would like for Tech to be in the game at the dome.

What else is he going to say? The ASC does not want us in the game and we don't want to be in it - but neither can say it publicly.

Get our offense running like a well oiled machine and the nadlickers still won't be able to stop it. I'm in favor of moving the game to Labor Day. This way when we win the ACC we will have a week off to heal and prepare to win another ACCC.

Do you want to give UGA the entire summer to prepare for our offense? as opposed to 1 week, maybe 2?

I don't care as long as we get to play them when half their team is in jail.

I don't care as long as we get to play them when half their team is in jail.
That made me laugh but it also made me think. If UGA opens with us (or any other team not from the Cobb County PeeWee division), does St. Richt still suspend his players for their inevitable DUI/public intoxication/goat-****ing like he does now?

Last edited:
What else is he going to say? The ASC does not want us in the game and we don't want to be in it - but neither can say it publicly.

So even though DRad has publicly said he wants us in the game, Stokan has said the same thing and said he's already spoken with DRad about the event you still think none of them are interested?

ok...

The thing that makes the most sense is to expand the "game" to 2 games on different nights, sell package tickets to both games, bait people into staying in Atlanta Thurs - Sat, and hold one game at Tech and one at the GD.

So even though DRad has publicly said he wants us in the game, Stokan has said the same thing and said he's already spoken with DRad about the event you still think none of them are interested?

ok...

Did you read today's article? Read between the lines...

"As for the season opener in the Georgia Dome sponsored by Chick-fil-A, Radakovich doesn’t envision Tech playing in it anytime soon."

I don't care what both parties have said publicly, neither really benefit (financially) from having GT in the game.

I have two questions about this one. One, what's Tech's average take from a home football game. Feel free to include parking, bookstore sales, anything else that the Institute gets money from on Saturdays as a direct result of a home game. How does that compare with what Clem and Bama took home from the Peach Bowl Lite?

I have two questions about this one. One, what's Tech's average take from a home football game. Feel free to include parking, bookstore sales, anything else that the Institute gets money from on Saturdays as a direct result of a home game. How does that compare with what Clem and Bama took home from the Peach Bowl Lite?

the first figure is in the article, about $1.5 to $2 million per home game.

according to this article, Clemson and Bama were both to get just under $2 million for the game at the Dome. pretty even, even with the alcohol sales at the Dome.

Back