AJC Article: Tech has lots of work to do

Akinji07

Moderator you deserve
Staff member
http://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-tech/tech-has-lots-of-1131736.html

Article from last night, sorry if repost.

interesting bit:

While nothing has been disclosed, Johnson said the coaches have a good idea of which true freshmen will play. He doesn’t know the number and didn't offer names. He hasn't told them but figures they know.
"If you're down on the scout team and you're not on any special teams, it's probably a pretty good chance you're not going to play," Johnson said.

hmmmm.... :cool:

I think its already been stated (by CPJ) that Vad will not be running the Scout team, if that's what you were implying.
This doesn't automatically mean he's playing. He could be learning the offense so that if there's an injury to the first two, he's ready to go. It'll be interesting to see if CPJ tries to maintain his redshirt eligibility or if he just burns the hell out of it in game 1.

This doesn't automatically mean he's playing. He could be learning the offense so that if there's an injury to the first two, he's ready to go. It'll be interesting to see if CPJ tries to maintain his redshirt eligibility or if he just burns the hell out of it in game 1.

Yep. If he plays in game 1, I think that's a good sign PJ plans on him starting or playing significant minutes by game 3 or 4.

No way he burns it in game 1. I will eat my computer mouse if he does. srsly

No way he burns it in game 1. I will eat my computer mouse if he does. srsly

Your mouse is safe. CPJ understands risk/reward decision making. Playing Vad against WCU offers almost no benefit and a long list of risks. The playing experience wouldn't be anything above a scrimmage, and would most likely burn the redshirt before he even knows how TW, SD, or VL will progress this season. Even if he expects to play Vad this year, he won't limit his options on day 1 against a weak opponent.

indeed... the two (playing and not being on the scout team) are not mutually exclusive.

Vad could play in the WCU game and still redshirt. Teams do it all the time. I don't know the rule exactly, but a true fresh plays a few series in the first game or two, then redshirts with some vague injury.

Vad could play in the WCU game and still redshirt. Teams do it all the time. I don't know the rule exactly, but a true fresh plays a few series in the first game or two, then redshirts with some vague injury.
Yeah, but then you have to go to the NCAA and get a waiver, and we haven't had good luck with them lately.

Each student is allowed no more than four seasons of competition per sport. If you were not a qualifier, you may have fewer seasons of competition available to you. You should know that NCAA rules indicate that any competition, regardless of time, during a season counts as one of your seasons of competition in that sport. It does not matter how long you were involved in a particular competition (for example, one play in a football game, one point in a volleyball match); you will be charged with one season of competition.

This doesn't always work. Medical redshirts have to be applied for in the 5th year and are not always granted (some for this very reason).

If I were CPJ and had made up my mind that Mr. Lee was going to play at some point this year then I would most definitely play him against WCU. But if I was still on the fence then no he sits til I am sure.

Greene and Braun

/thread

Apparently you didn't read the actual article. CPJ gave you the answer.

True freshmen that Johnson has mentioned as likely to play are safety Zach Laskey, guard Trey Braun and wide receiver Jeff Greene. Wide receiver Darren Waller and defensive back Jamal Golden are other possibilities.

Apparently you didn't read the actual article. CPJ gave you the answer.

Actually, I did read the article. Apparently you have a reading comprehension problem. Those are freshmen that Johnson has, in the past, unrelated to this particular article, said have a shot at playing. I've talked with Waller's dad and it seemed he was very likely to redshirt, so I wouldn't really count on him.

Anyways, the topic was about who will PLAY (I took that to be actually play, not just get in the game on special teams).

I think Greene and Braun are the only ones who will get in on a regular basis and contribute. I think Greene's got a strong shot at starting all year, and Braun will likely get a few starts bc of injuries to our starters.

Back