AJC: Brent Key has the players to win in ACC

stinger78

Jacket by the grace of God.
We're recruiting better players. The belief that CPJ's recruits were lower rated because he was recruiting "system" guys is a farce. He may have recruited more athletic OL than just enormous tree stumps, but I can promise you he would have taken higher rated guys at any position he could.
They weren’t lower rated due to being system guys. They weren’t getting a bunch of P5 offers because they were system guys. Therefore, some are saying they were less talented. Smaller, quicker OL aren’t in high demand at most P5 schools now. Doesn’t mean they’re less talented. CPJ put about 5 WR in the NFL… from a running O. Can you imagine what JT5 would do in UGA’s O? Talk about talented.

ibeeballin

Dodd-Like
They weren’t lower rated due to being system guys. They weren’t getting a bunch of P5 offers because they were system guys. Therefore, some are saying they were less talented. Smaller, quicker OL aren’t in high demand at most P5 schools now. Doesn’t mean they’re less talented. CPJ put about 5 WR in the NFL… from a running O. Can you imagine what JT5 would do in UGA’s O? Talk about talented.
Y’all move the goalpost constantly. So Donovaughn Campbell, Landon Dickerson, EJ Price were system guys? Same goes for the guys we signed like Shamire or Braun brothers. This notion we only recruited underrated system guys is ridiculous.

CornerBlitz

To be the man you have to beat the man
I guarantee it is. So many of the guys who dominate in HS ball are athletic guys who matured early - the so-called early bloomer. Put them in college with other guys as big and talented as they are and watch them struggle. It happens all the time. Coach Dodd talked about missing on their evaluation of multiple players yet keeping them on until they graduated. Do we know that this is why we left the SEC? Dodd wanted unlimited scholies to be able to keep these guys in the program, but the SEC said "no."

Take me for example: I was just under 6'2" and 210 lbs. as a 9th grader. My coaches were all over me. "College prospect" one of them said. I burned out on football and fell in love with ice hockey. Football coaches were not happy. However, I didn't grow a full inch (in height) after that year. Coaches posted a state top 10 finish w/o me. I graduated HS at 6'2" 205. The coaches never really missed me after all. I was an early bloomer. Had I continued to grow, like my counterpart on the other end of the DL did, to 6'3" 225 lbs. then I could have maybe played college ball like he did. I didn't want it, but he did. I didn't have the support system that he did. Mostly, I just didn't have the genes that he did. Happens all the time.

Dude, that is not why Dodd left the SEC. It was just the opposite regarding schollies. Bama was hoarding recruits. What Dodd said was if he recruited a player and they did everything he asked and still didn’t perform on the field, it was his fault and he was obligated to keep the player on scholarship.

stinger78

Dude, that is not why Dodd left the SEC. It was just the opposite regarding schollies. Bama was hoarding recruits. What Dodd said was if he recruited a player and they did everything he asked and still didn’t perform on the field, it was his fault and he was obligated to keep the player on scholarship.
You need to read his book.

aeromech

Dodd-Like
Y’all move the goalpost constantly. So Donovaughn Campbell, Landon Dickerson, EJ Price were system guys? Same goes for the guys we signed like Shamire or Braun brothers. This notion we only recruited underrated system guys is ridiculous.
You shouldn't accuse others of moving the goal posts when a prominent part of your argument is that 'the rating system is more better now than it was then' when given examples of rating system's screw ups. You would still be a 2 star or very low 3 star guy coming out of high school using today's rating systems because a coach saw something in you the ratings systems did not; that would be just as true today. CCG & CPJ were good at spotting that something unmeasurable, CGC did not know when that critical attribute was missing.

ibeeballin

Dodd-Like
You shouldn't accuse others of moving the goal posts when a prominent part of your argument is that 'the rating system is more better now than it was then' when given examples of rating system's screw ups. You would still be a 2 star or very low 3 star guy coming out of high school using today's rating systems because a coach saw something in you the ratings systems did not; that would be just as true today. CCG & CPJ were good at spotting that something unmeasurable, CGC did not know when that critical attribute was missing.
What star would you have been? lol ööööers who can’t chew gum and walk at same time trying to tell me what i would’ve been, which has no relevance on this topic, just to save face on being wrong. Weird asf

aeromech

Dodd-Like
What star would you have been? lol ööööers who can’t chew gum and walk at same time trying to tell me what i would’ve been, which has no relevance on this topic, just to save face on being wrong. Weird asf
I actually meant it as a compliment to you. You outperformed your recruiting ranking. Some GT recruiter saw something in you and believed you were better than your ranking, and he was right. Those types of players (like you) tend to be fan favorites, guys that out play their "measurables". There is no reason to believe that the ranking services wouldn't be just as wrong about you today.

BigDanT

J. Batt Fan
Anyways back to Brent Key and his staff. I talked to one of my sources on the staff. They said to quit arguing about the price of tea in china on every thread
It’s the off season. This place really dries up in the off season.

Nehru Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Anyways back to Brent Key and his staff. I talked to one of my sources on the staff. They said to quit arguing about the price of tea in china on every thread
There used to be a tea sold in stores that was American grown. It came from a plantation somewhere around Charleston, SC. The stuff was almost twice the price of the major brands which are all imported. We really don’t have anything else to talk about until spring practice.

gt9589

Smile... you love us.
We're recruiting better players. The belief that CPJ's recruits were lower rated because he was recruiting "system" guys is a farce. He may have recruited more athletic OL than just enormous tree stumps, but I can promise you he would have taken higher rated guys at any position he could.
It is well known that during CPJ's tenure we didn't have great recruiters. You're right that he would have taken 4 ad 5 star massive OLs that could move but they were many players that did not want to play in our system except for skilled position RBs and QBs who were mobile and agile. We all saw what his offense could do with pro-style sized players across the line of scrimmage offensively in 07-10'. We won a lot of games and with 2 wins against UGAY.

aeromech

Dodd-Like
It is well known that during CPJ's tenure we didn't have great recruiters. You're right that he would have taken 4 ad 5 star massive OLs that could move but they were many players that did not want to play in our system except for skilled position RBs and QBs who were mobile and agile. We all saw what his offense could do with pro-style sized players across the line of scrimmage offensively in 07-10'. We won a lot of games and with 2 wins against UGAY.
LOL. We were playing a TE recruited as a DE on the OL in '08. Our center was a walk-on DL.

David Brown, Georgia Tech, Defensive Line (247sports.com)
Sean Bedford, 2006 Strongside Defensive End - Rivals.com

A huge part of the reason we got crushed in the Peach Bowl and Orange Bowl is how undersized our OL was.

GoldZ

Dodd-Like
We won two games against uga with no OL from CCG.

00Burdell

Mod Thyself
Staff member
We won two games against uga in Athens with no OL from CCG.
Number of coaches 500 or better in Athens - 5 or less, I think. I did the math a long time ago - I think it was Dodd, Spurrier Johnson and one or two others.

WracerX

Dr. Dunkingstein
The 2008 team was ridiculously talented. There were 8 draft quality players on that team. The 2014 team trailed with 6 draft quality players. And the 2016 team only had one (repeat from the 2014 team).

stinger78

The 2008 team was ridiculously talented. There were 8 draft quality players on that team. The 2014 team trailed with 6 draft quality players. And the 2016 team only had one (repeat from the 2014 team).
That doesn’t mean they’re not talented players, it just means they weren’t NFL type players. Both Justin Thomas and Josh Nesbitt didn’t get drafted. Does that mean they weren’t talented?

WracerX

Dr. Dunkingstein
That doesn’t mean they’re not talented players, it just means they weren’t NFL type players. Both Justin Thomas and Josh Nesbitt didn’t get drafted. Does that mean they weren’t talented?
Just going by the ST metric, W/L < talent < stars < draft picks.

Funny that Johnson’s most talented team, won the most games (excluding 2008, which was a transition year).