AJC: Brent Key has the players to win in ACC

But is it really speculation? I don't think it's just a coincidence that 2 of CPJ's best 3 years were 08 and 09 when he had arguably the best talent of his tenure. He didn't recruit those guys specifically for his system. Do you really think he could've won 9 and 11 games in year one and two if he had talent more on par with what he had in the latter years? I don't.
Yes it's really speculation. He won 9 and 11 games in 2014 and 2016 with all his own talent, including 2 wins over UGA and his highest ranked finish in the polls.

Yes it's really speculation. He won 9 and 11 games in 2014 and 2016 with all his own talent, including 2 wins over UGA and his highest ranked finish in the polls.
Youre missing the point of my post. I know he won 9 and 11 in 2014 and 2016. That was with his system established and he had rosters with experience. My point was he also did it in year 1 and 2 because he had talent. If he had that 2016 roster as his 1st season here implementing his offense, I do not see them winning 9. I'd also highly doubt that 2014 team wins 11 if its only in year 2 with him.

But is it really speculation? I don't think it's just a coincidence that 2 of CPJ's best 3 years were 08 and 09 when he had arguably the best talent of his tenure. He didn't recruit those guys specifically for his system. Do you really think he could've won 9 and 11 games in year one and two if he had talent more on par with what he had in the latter years? I don't.
He had very good talent those first two years, however, he took that talent recruited for a pro style system, converted it to his spread option system, and won 20 games in 2 years - more than anyone since Dodd. That takes coaching. He then won 8 games in 2011, 11 games in 2014, and 9 games in 2016, all with talent he collected. The in-between years he won 6 (2010 - injured starting QB), 7, 7, 3 (2015 - massive graduation/injury attrition), 6, and 7. These are all about the same as CCG and far better than TFG.

Lol on at Tech would someone öööö on this

Tech returns it’s entire OL along with depth
4* QB most are excited about
4* Blackburn for Carter
High 3* in Rutherford for McCollum
productive big WR out the the portal

Experience and depth on the DL with guys who played plenty of snaps to fill in for White

4* LB Tatum Eley
4* Transfer from A&M

4 returning DBs. 2 former 4*s one of which was All-ACC and Freshman HM All-American

If this was any other teams, guys on here would be crowning them like y’all did Pitt last season.
We return most of the OL. Vaipulu portaled out. We have numbers but again, numbers doesn't mean depth. Numbers just means numbers. It ain't depth until you've got guys who can play, not just guys on depth chart. And our OL by and large has sucked. Before someone says they're a year older, I issue the caveat all that means is they are a year older. Doesn't mean they're better. I've seen that too many times (and other than with Tech, too). We averaged 3.7 yards per rush and gave up 39 sacks. That ain't good. (Sacks come off rushing yards and attempts, yes, but still, that YPC isn't very good and that's still a lot of sacks for a team that runs it more than it throws.)
I'll grant you that there is excitement with Pyron. But ... he only played three games and was good against a bad Va Tech and not so good against a bad Miami team. He does have upside, as long as he can stay healthy.
Blackburn for Carter - on paper, sounds great. Blackburn made a couple of highlight reel catches. But in seven games, he only caught five passes. Malachi had 23 in 11 last year. Not great by any means but Blackburn will need to step up and show his potential next year
I hate losing McCollum but I agree that Rutherford can step in. He showed flashes of that when he had the chance last year.
I am not as optimistic on the D line, though I like Douse a lot and I think Stone can be serviceable to good. Our other DEs combined for 4.5 sacks. White had 7.5. Out of 28 total sacks, 8 came from the back seven. We're going to need some folks to step up at DE. We need to see more - a lot more - out of Harris, and I hope Collins and Robinson can live up to their potential, Kennard was OK last year but he won't have White on the other side this year.
I'd like to see these LB transfers play before I start beating the drum for them.
Our two starting corners last year combined for 2 INTs and 9 PBUs. Their backups? One pass breakup. Total. The DB FSU got from UVa had 13 PBUs by himself.
Brooks and Powell-Lee had really good years, so I don't think safety is that much of a worry. That may be our best spot.

But the like the man said, when it comes to these touted transfers, don't tell me, show me.
And after the last four years, I ain't buying anything until I see it on a test drive or two.

Youre missing the point of my post. I know he won 9 and 11 in 2014 and 2016. That was with his system established and he had rosters with experience. My point was he also did it in year 1 and 2 because he had talent. If he had that 2016 roster as his 1st season here implementing his offense, I do not see them winning 9. I'd also highly doubt that 2014 team wins 11 if its only in year 2 with him.

Maybe; but also in those first two years he didn't have teams specifically adjusting the schedule for us, running fall practices specifically for us, and he was coaching against DC's who had no idea how to defend us. The win at UGA in 2008 was because the UGA defense was as lost as last year's easter egg in the second half.

This is the definition of speculation.

Let me ask a question. Who would you say was a more talented football player, @ibeeballin or Francis Kallon?

Come on. Didn’t we have to explain to others that recruiting services today are not what they were 18yrs ago?
If you came out today, what would be your recruiting ranking be? If it’s different than what you were ranked coming out in 2006, tell us why you think it would be different.

Come on. Didn’t we have to explain to others that recruiting services today are not what they were 18yrs ago?
lol ok sure buddy. Who's more talented, Kevin Harris or Keion White? Those ratings recent enough for you?

If their evaluations are so good, why are the players going into the portal often rerated differently than they were coming out of high school? Are all these guys somehow becoming less talented after a year or two in college?

If this recruit rating stuff was so scientific, why don't all the major recruiting services rank players the exact same way? Why would the 247 composite rating even exist? Because it's all guessing, and they figure if they average all the guesses, well maybe that's the best guess.

We return most of the OL. Vaipulu portaled out. We have numbers but again, numbers doesn't mean depth. Numbers just means numbers. It ain't depth until you've got guys who can play, not just guys on depth chart. And our OL by and large has sucked. Before someone says they're a year older, I issue the caveat all that means is they are a year older. Doesn't mean they're better. I've seen that too many times (and other than with Tech, too). We averaged 3.7 yards per rush and gave up 39 sacks. That ain't good. (Sacks come off rushing yards and attempts, yes, but still, that YPC isn't very good and that's still a lot of sacks for a team that runs it more than it throws.)
I'll grant you that there is excitement with Pyron. But ... he only played three games and was good against a bad Va Tech and not so good against a bad Miami team. He does have upside, as long as he can stay healthy.
Blackburn for Carter - on paper, sounds great. Blackburn made a couple of highlight reel catches. But in seven games, he only caught five passes. Malachi had 23 in 11 last year. Not great by any means but Blackburn will need to step up and show his potential next year
I hate losing McCollum but I agree that Rutherford can step in. He showed flashes of that when he had the chance last year.
I am not as optimistic on the D line, though I like Douse a lot and I think Stone can be serviceable to good. Our other DEs combined for 4.5 sacks. White had 7.5. Out of 28 total sacks, 8 came from the back seven. We're going to need some folks to step up at DE. We need to see more - a lot more - out of Harris, and I hope Collins and Robinson can live up to their potential, Kennard was OK last year but he won't have White on the other side this year.
I'd like to see these LB transfers play before I start beating the drum for them.
Our two starting corners last year combined for 2 INTs and 9 PBUs. Their backups? One pass breakup. Total. The DB FSU got from UVa had 13 PBUs by himself.
Brooks and Powell-Lee had really good years, so I don't think safety is that much of a worry. That may be our best spot.

But the like the man said, when it comes to these touted transfers, don't tell me, show me.
And after the last four years, I ain't buying anything until I see it on a test drive or two.
Nice breakdown. Great Points

lol ok sure buddy. Who's more talented, Kevin Harris or Keion White? Those ratings recent enough for you?

If their evaluations are so good, why are the players going into the portal often rerated differently than they were coming out of high school? Are all these guys somehow becoming less talented after a year or two in college?

If this recruit rating stuff was so scientific, why don't all the major recruiting services rank players the exact same way? Why would the 247 composite rating even exist? Because it's all guessing, and they figure if they average all the guesses, well maybe that's the best guess.

So do we have 20 Kevin Harris & Francis Kallon on the team?

This man fights dirty.

Not really. He’s using the exception to the rules. Based on size and production vs. Gwinnett HS competition you can see why he was a 4*. Should the services accounted for his limited football playing experience & knowledge? Maybe.

Back