AJC Interview with Coach Nix

After reading this:

[ QUOTE ]
A: Don't get yourself beat. I think a lot of football games are lost instead of won. We want to be in the mindset of not losing the game, but at the same time have the ability to win them, too. There's a fine line there with that. We're not going to be afraid to take our chances, but at the same time, we have to be very smart when we're taking those.

[/ QUOTE ]

It should be apparent that our offense will continue to suck. Playing not to lose in college football get's you 7 wins max.

"Statistics are for Losers" Isn't a team's record a statistic? Statistics are the only way to measure anything in football, everything is a statistic.

That's like the saying "It doesn't matter if you win or lose, but how you play, or as long as you have fun" which is what you tell someone who just lost so they don't feel like a loser...just my take.

I don't like this part about Reggie-

[ QUOTE ]
Q: Does he have any more input into what you're going to do offensively than in the past?

A: No, not really. We sort of see what he's comfortable with, but at the same time, this is our system and you've got to fit into that not us fitting to you. I think it's a fine line because as a coach you have to take all the players you have and use them to their best.

Q: Do you envision using him significantly differently than in the past?

A: We're not going to do anything differently in terms of drastic changes, or anything like that. We've gotten him out of the pocket some in the past. It goes back to what the defense will allow you to do so, hopefully, we'll give him a chance to run possibly a little bit more. But we've got some running backs who can run, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like they're still trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

His point there was the win/loss is the only stat that matters. He said there is no moral victory in big offensive stats if you lose the game.

"stats are for losers"?

Guess Nix isn't very good at math. After all he did go to Awbarn.

Also, it was very noticeable that Gailey was probably the only state collegiate head coach not in attendance at the event held at the Georgia Sports Hall of Fame in Macon. The article in the Macon Telegraph even observed that the closest Division I team was 85 miles away (that would be Tech). So we get a 2/3 page size photo of St Mark with a dawg helmet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crybaby.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Also, it was very noticeable that Gailey was probably the only state collegiate head coach not in attendance at the event held at the Georgia Sports Hall of Fame in Macon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who was there from Tech?
Based on the direction Dan Rad is taking the program, I would expect that there is a good reason CG was not there.

As to not totally aid in stealing this thread, was this where Coach Nix granted the interview?

Apparently Coach Nix was in attendance instead of CCG. The AJC interview was a private interview with Matt Winklejohn I believe, and the interview content from the Macon article came from the conference in question.

Although it is interesting to read, I wouldn't take much stock with his statements about change caused by the advent of his regime, etc... He hasn't called the plays in a game yet, so he'd sound like a doofus if, when asked about the new offense, he said something like "It's gonna be so totally awesome lololol rofl omg lol." I know you want to see him say that, but no coach in their right mind ever would. CCG is still his boss, after all.

I don't disagree with your thoughts.

Plus, I am actually warming to Nix's smart ass comments and attitude.
Under the Braine regime I thought it was just more cloak and dagger, and bunker mentality stuff.
Under Radokovich though, it comes off to me as possibly "mad dog mean" attitude. If so, I am staunchly behind that attitude!

Coach Pat, thanks to Coach Chan, has been under the wing of a nurturing superior and is now leaving the nest to spread his wings and fly on his own.

Make or break time. I like what Chan's up to.

I would have answered a few questions with simply "To HELL with Georgia!" - even if that wasn't the question.

Intentionally vague. Obviously, he isn't going to bring a playbook and show off the new plays.

Pretty good interview, IMO. I like the guy. I think Nix at OC will do wonders for recruiting. Young guy, pretty good sense of humor.

I AM READY FOR NOTRE DAME RIGHT NOW! This is taking WAYYY too long.

Re: I\'m ready too. I feel the fire in my belly!!

It's time to get it on!

I like hearing interviews like this from our new OC. I say new, but really this is his deal now. I'm happy for him. Think the move was handled in the right way at the right time. Everyeone has wanted coach Gailey to give up the deal since day one, but he had his reasons right or wrong. In my mind he's had a plan and he's worked that plan.

Coach Nix is a bright guy. He's been a very good coach for GT IMO. I still think he's the very best recruiter on the staff. He's the kind of guy I want leading us into war.
One day he'll be a HC. I'd put money on it.

I too think Coach Nix isn't saying much, and he shouldn't say much. I'm just glad he's saying something about the progam to the media. It's good for GT.

Anyway, I'm excited about the program and this upcoming season!!

Go Jackets!!!

Apparently, the meeting in Macon coincided with a conference in Hilton Head (I think) all the coaches planned to go to before the Macon thing was announced. They decided to have Nix stay in Macon instead to actually attend this thing at all.

[ QUOTE ]
Apparently, the meeting in Macon coincided with a conference in Hilton Head (I think) all the coaches planned to go to before the Macon thing was announced. They decided to have Nix stay in Macon instead to actually attend this thing at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

No wonder he was pizzed off! Who could blame him? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugher.gif

Well, as Nix pointed out Gailey isn't real big on attending meetings. He probably had something better to do than promote GT football within the state.

Some of you need to get over it.

Why don't you call him up and make his schedule for him. You seem to know what's going on with his schedule better than he does with your remarks. I'm sure you know more about his schedule than the new AD.

Back