AJC: Nate Woody to be next DC

Tenuta was sort of a one trick pony. He would blitz, blitz, then blitz some more. We would feast on inexperienced QB’s but Matt Ryan with an experienced OL was just awesome against us.
Ever heard of holding?

Woody is a damn good hire. Took App State talent and held his own against top FBS talent. Here’s to hoping he can take GT to the next level.
A lot of our talent is App State level talent if you follow the stars, so he might be ok.

I believe when PJ came in there was talk about how great his system would be since he would be able to get better talent than he was use to at Gsouth and Navy. It is what it is. Worked a couple of years.

I am all aboard the Woody though, and hope, and think, he does better than the others. Definite upgrade!

Tenuta was sort of a one trick pony. He would blitz, blitz, then blitz some more. We would feast on inexperienced QB’s but Matt Ryan with an experienced OL was just awesome against us.

You will get both thumbs up and thumbs down on this post because stingtalkers tend to have one of two opinions on Tenuta.

a) Tenuta was a one trick pony that feasted on the weak ACC offenses of a decade ago.

or

b) Tenuta was an equivalent DC to Bud Foster and Brent Venables.

The fact he was unemployed in 2016 and is a DB coach at Cincinnati this year gives you a hint of which is closer to the truth.

I like this hire I hope that this pans out and we develop an identity on defense. Hoping for a Bud Foster type relationship.

ACC had hella good QB's when Tenuta was our DC and UGAg was loaded.

ACC had hella good QB's when Tenuta was our DC and UGAg was loaded.

The ACC did not typically have good offenses during the Tenuta years; but I have 51-7 reasons to agree with you about UGA, and 51-7 reasons to agree that occasionally VT and the like had good offenses/QBs. The ACC offenses in general inspired discussion of dropping the ACC from the P5 conferences.

Solid hire. I have a buddy who played at App State then briefly for the Chicago Bears--his kid has just transferred back there (close to home) from KSU. App State is always a well-coached team on both sides of the ball. Played UGA very respectably on defense this season. Satterfield has built a strong program. Lost in OT last season to Tennessee (remember, that was the one good UT team). Lost by one to Wake Forest this year. Defense has kept them in these games. App State finished #98 in recruiting this year (not listed last year) with no fives, fours, or threes, in stars so anything they accomplish against a P5 team is coaching. Watch them on Youtube against UGA or UT or Wake and you'll get a good idea about this guy's defensive style.

My only regret is that you don't get to try stopping our Chubb with your Woody.

Last edited:
I hope we hire someone else if only because the lame jokes about his name will be unbearable

Yes, if Woody can be better than Tenuta then he would be better than Tenuta. Of course I have been told over and over how terrible Tenuta was. So I guess that is a low bar for Woody.
The people who told you that are.......correct.

A decent defense would have been the difference between losing 6 games and losing 2-3 games this year. Look at our losses. Tennessee 1 point, Miami 1 point, UVA 4 points, Duke 13 points, Clemson 14 points, uga 31 points. Yes the offense isn't what it needs to be but a few more stops and we would have been 8-3 and playing in the ACC championship and the Orange Bowl. This Woody guy seems to be doing more with less. I imagine our recruiting is better than App State at least, so hopefully with him in charge of the defense we will see more consistency rather than the roller coaster of emotions we ride on a 2 year cycle.

Back