AJC: Nate Woody to be next DC

A decent defense, or a decent ball control offense would have been the difference between losing 6 games losing 2-3 games. The whole team (offense, defense, special teams) contributed to several of those losses.

A decent defense, or a decent ball control offense would have been the difference between losing 6 games losing 2-3 games. The whole team (offense, defense, special teams) contributed to several of those losses.

No doubt, but in a thread about the new DC, it's reasonable to single out the defense's role in those losses.

If you haven't noticed, Maryland is out recruiting the hell out of GT nowadays. They may be saying the same about them not being "Wake or GT" soon enough.
Come on now, get in the spirit of things.

Yeah. Md is a powerhouse 4 & 8 overall 2 & 7 in conference. They are a big integer punching bag and their conference is a has been. Would not trade places with them.

A decent defense would have been the difference between losing 6 games and losing 2-3 games this year. Look at our losses. Tennessee 1 point, Miami 1 point, UVA 4 points, Duke 13 points, Clemson 14 points, uga 31 points. Yes the offense isn't what it needs to be but a few more stops and we would have been 8-3 and playing in the ACC championship and the Orange Bowl. This Woody guy seems to be doing more with less. I imagine our recruiting is better than App State at least, so hopefully with him in charge of the defense we will see more consistency rather than the roller coaster of emotions we ride on a 2 year cycle.

Or a single kicker.

Or a single kicker.

Or even mediocre special teams play rather than ridiculously bad other than punter perhaps

But I like the idea of an aggressive defense even with the same players we already have rather than Bend THEN Break, it really can only get better.

Will be happy if we can just improve on stopping teams from scoring in the last minute of almost every friggin half, that was where our defense has been maddeningly consistent.

---and teach knocking the pass DOWN not UP (better yet--pick 6)

A decent defense would have been the difference between losing 6 games and losing 2-3 games this year. Look at our losses. Tennessee 1 point, Miami 1 point, UVA 4 points, Duke 13 points, Clemson 14 points, uga 31 points. Yes the offense isn't what it needs to be but a few more stops and we would have been 8-3 and playing in the ACC championship and the Orange Bowl. This Woody guy seems to be doing more with less. I imagine our recruiting is better than App State at least, so hopefully with him in charge of the defense we will see more consistency rather than the roller coaster of emotions we ride on a 2 year cycle.
8-3 would have basically been worst case scenario if we had even a marginally better defense, or a FBS caliber kicker.

Held Wake Forest, who scored 55 on Texas A&M, to 19 points

We held them to 24 but I bet it was on 1/2x the possessions

Wake 11 drives vs GT
Wake 17 drives vs ATM (excluding 2 wake end of half kneeldowns)
Wake 14 drives vs App State (excluding Wake end of game kneeldown)

Held Wake Forest, who scored 55 on Texas A&M, to 19 points

We held them to 24 but I bet it was on 1/2x the possessions

I’ve seen you mention this 1/2 the possessions thing a lot, and as WracerX pointed out it is wrong. If both teams played slow tempo then yeah, half the possessions, but since the other team rarely slows their tempo, you can expect it to be about 2/3 to 3/4 of their normal possessions, depending on how long we are able to grind it out.

Back