AJC on 2 Deep

cyptomcat

Hibernating
http://blogs.ajc.com/georgia-tech-s...p-released/?cxntfid=blogs_georgia_tech_sports

Ken Sugiura at AJC said:
1. I suppose very rarely is a position ever “sewn up” in the world of Paul Johnson, but most of the positions have, at the least, strong leaders for starting jobs. I’d say the most competitive position battles will be at B-back, both offensive tackle spots, punter and kicker.

2. You’ll notice none of the incoming freshmen are included. Johnson said about a week ago that 10 or 11 could play this fall. The incoming wide receivers will probably make the strongest push.

3. One of those freshmen who’ll play almost certainly is backup right guard Trey Braun. He was the only freshman to enroll in January and is behind Omoregie Uzzi.

4. Notable player not on the two-deep: A-back Tony Zenon, who made a strong push in spring practice and caught Johnson’s attention.

5. Deepest group: Defensive line, with three returning starters and a lot of experience among the backups. A-back would be a close second.

6. Thinnest group: Offensive line. The right tackle candidates, Tyler Kidney and Ray Beno, have played in a combined nine games. Three of the No. 2 linemen have never played in a game either on the line (J.C. Lanier) or at all (Braun and Catlin Alford). Beno has played in three games.

7. Three starting seniors on offense, four on defense. Five seniors on the defensive 22, four on offense (none on the offensive line).

IMO the 2nd and 3rd most important positions QB and B-Back are not a sure thing and this is scary, 1st most important is OL to me and it is also not a sure thing, we could sputter this season on offense if the QB situation does not improve.

IMO the 2nd and 3rd most important positions QB and B-Back are not a sure thing and this is scary, 1st most important is OL to me and it is also not a sure thing, we could sputter this season on offense if the QB situation does not improve.

Spurrier did well for years with a QB by committee, and I think that CPJ can with both QB and BB. Hopefully, there are enough practice reps to share to get everything ready.

:laugher:
I like our starting 3, but nobody has much meaningful PT besides TJ on the second team.

I'm still trying to find a suitable NT! Maybe I just don't get the 3-4 though. All I know is AB is the deepest group by far.

I'm still trying to find a suitable NT! Maybe I just don't get the 3-4 though. All I know is AB is the deepest group by far.

Walls will be suitable, and Barnes will spell him. We're much better off than last year.

But yeah, I agree. I'm still looking for the Raji/Brace/Dareus type of monster at NT as well. I know one is out there, I just don't know if Tech can land him.

Walls will be suitable, and Barnes will spell him. We're much better off than last year.

But yeah, I agree. I'm still looking for the Raji/Brace/Dareus type of monster at NT as well. I know one is out there, I just don't know if Tech can land him.
These are the same two guys who got all the minutes last year, how much better do you think they are? I don't know if practicing against our patchwork offensive line can show any indication of improvement. Walls got single teamed and sealed all year and Barnes couldn't play many downs in a row without being gassed.

These are the same two guys who got all the minutes last year, how much better do you think they are? I don't know if practicing against our patchwork offensive line can show any indication of improvement. Walls got single teamed and sealed all year and Barnes couldn't play many downs in a row without being gassed.

Last year these two guys were learning a brand new scheme. Now that they have some experience, they can think less and play more.

People don't seem to appreciate the fact that we switched to a completely different defensive scheme last year. Now a year later and with a DC who actually knows what he's doing, I expect the defense to be HUGELY improved.

Walls was the only player on defense who made a drastic improvement from the first half of the season to the last half of the season. I think we'll be fine. Now only if Peters and Cross can add pressure.

Dieke might be a good backup. Kid is pretty damn big and looked decent in the spring game. Dont forget about Shawn when he gets healthy!

It all starts and builds on the QB position. The QB will simply have to be able to run and throw the ball adequately to open up defenses.

First couple years the O carried us, now the D is up to the plate. They'll help as we get the O back in shape. We're close to getting traction on all wheels.

First couple years the O carried us, now the D is up to the plate. They'll help as we get the O back in shape. We're close to getting traction on all wheels.

Hey JJ, did you know the guy in your avitar is related to one of our very own Yellow Jacket lettermen?

Last year these two guys were learning a brand new scheme. Now that they have some experience, they can think less and play more.

People don't seem to appreciate the fact that we switched to a completely different defensive scheme last year. Now a year later and with a DC who actually knows what he's doing, I expect the defense to be HUGELY improved.

All your points are true. Unfortunately, we can be hugely improved over last year and still not be very good defensively. We have no star player in the defensive line, and our linebackers are unproven. We have some talent in the secondary, but we are very young and somewhat inexperienced. We don't yet have a defense that can win games for us, and our offense is not going to outscore our better opponents. Long year ahead. Hopefully we will gain some needed experience for subsequent seasons.

All your points are true. Unfortunately, we can be hugely improved over last year and still not be very good defensively. We have no [proven] star player in the defensive line, and our linebackers are unproven. We have some talent in the secondary, but we are very young and somewhat inexperienced. We don't yet have a defense that [has proven it] can win games for us, and our offense [looks like it] is not going to outscore our better opponents. Long year ahead [seems likely]. Hopefully we will gain some needed experience for subsequent seasons.

I still think Jason Peters has a chance to have a break-out year this year. I also suspect that Attauochu will be giving defenses all kinds of trouble. I wouldn't bet for or against our defense yet.

Look at the 2 deep. We're looking at a 6-6 record. Just be prepared but hope for more.

Two things. Somebody needs to step up and some of our incoming class may see the field early.

I think, however, that our defense will have evolved somewhat and should be a fair amount better than last year which should offset what promises to be a frustrating season offensively.

6-6 is a touch pessimistic for me - I'm going with 7-5.

Back