Al Groh

Some folks in the AA's impression of Groh was he never really did fit in. He was very uneasy to be around, like a loner with no social skills. People just didn't like him, so this comment doesn't surprise me at all. He doesn't have people skills, God öööö it.

Between the lines I read CPJ made a bad hire ... again!

I think you're right. Let's hope the next one is a lot better.

The D in the second half of every game since Al has gone has played a lot better. I don't think it's where it needs to be.

Some folks in the AA's impression of Groh was he never really did fit in. He was very uneasy to be around, like a loner with no social skills. People just didn't like him, so this comment doesn't surprise me at all. He doesn't have people skills, God öööö it.

I think you mean he fit in perfectly at Georgia Tech.

Between the lines I read CPJ made a bad hire ... again!

When will you guys understand that Groh was a great hire at the time. We we're still paying Chan 1mil/year. We had no money and Groh was an established defensive mind who was essentially free (UVA paying salary for 3 years). He gave us his 3 years and we're moving on.

When will you guys understand that Groh was a great hire at the time. We we're still paying Chan 1mil/year. We had no money and Groh was an established defensive mind who was essentially free (UVA paying salary for 3 years). He gave us his 3 years and we're moving on.

This.

I'm sure at the time and given the circumstances, most of us would've made that hire as well. We got an established guy on the cheap who could basically run the defense on his own, allowing PJ more time with the offense. It looked like a great hire at the time and I think we are all surprised and disappointed it didn't work out.

You can't judge a decision on results alone. Does the fact that Auburn won a MNC mean Chizik was a good hire?

How do you account for how the players seemed to love him and respect him?

I would really like CPJ to be open to letting the next DC have some say in bringing in different defensive assistants.....

I don't think it was ever proven one way or the other on this.

If I was a DC, I wouldn't take this job if I knew I was going to be limited in the assistants I knew I needed to succeed.

If I was a HC, I would make sure the DC knew what he was getting himself into and if he still wanted the job if that was a limit I'd be putting up.

I think you mean he fit in perfectly at Georgia Tech.

Nope, people in the AA aren't all Tech grads. Most went to colleges that included a social life. He wasn't a student at Tech. He'd have to step up his awkwardness then, maybe by riding an unicycle around campus in addition to being a loner.

Nope, people in the AA aren't all Tech grads. Most went to colleges that included a social life. He wasn't a student at Tech. He'd have to step up his awkwardness then, maybe by riding an unicycle around campus in addition to being a loner.

Those of you who did not go to Tech may think he's employing a bit of hyperbole here.

No. He is not.

I don't think it was ever proven one way or the other on this.

If I was a DC, I wouldn't take this job if I knew I was going to be limited in the assistants I knew I needed to succeed.

If I was a HC, I would make sure the DC knew what he was getting himself into and if he still wanted the job if that was a limit I'd be putting up.

has it been shown that groh wanted different assistants? CPJ said he gave him free reign to operate.

has it been shown that groh wanted different assistants? CPJ said he gave him free reign to operate.

The only way we'd know for sure is if Groh spilled the beans, but I'm guessing that there wasn't the best of professional relationship when the assistants are going around the coordinator's back to the head coach and the coordinator is trying to coach all of the positions. I would also expect a coordinator to feel out of the loop when he comes into the old boys club.

What is the difference between a Baptist and Methodist? The Methodist will say hi to you in the liquor store.

Take 2 baptists when you go fishing. If you only take one he'll drink all of your beer.

I don't think that's what he meant. I think this comment is another version of his "I'm playing chess while everyone else is playing checkers" comment.

He's arrogant and is blaming our defensive failure on the players and defensive staff who he considers to dumb to understand, implement and deploy his brilliant defensive scheme.

No, Al. Your scheme sucked. You suck. Now Get tFO and Stay tFO.

This has a lot of truth to it. He is considered a true jackass in a lot of coaching circles and very few people actually like or think he's the great defensive mind he believes himself to be. I know a lot of coaches and I continuously hear this same thing about Groh.

...wearing a bow tie.

One player made his career and reputation. It never really got backed up after. Reminds me of Chan and Slash.

Back