All you people deserting the team when we’re gonna be 1-11

daBuzz

Dodd-Like
Those of us who applied to GT in the early 80's just have a different perspective than those who didn't arrive until after 1990.
Very true. But I can remember vividly sitting in the stands with fraternity brothers in 1988 and 1989 and people were calling for Bobby Ross to be fired. But they sure weren't saying that in 1990.

GTCrew4b

NIL Supporter Strictly On Capitalist Grounds
Or when we’re 11-1

The roster is going to have to be rebuilt. But it will be.
What about this coaching staff tells you they're an 11-1 kind of operation versus an 8-4 or 9-3 operation with superb talent? Plenty of other programs have worked with stud recruiters only to get to a max of 10 wins on good years. Why will this staff be able to go 11-1?

gt2690b

PB time!
What about this coaching staff tells you they're an 11-1 kind of operation versus an 8-4 or 9-3 operation with superb talent? Plenty of other programs have worked with stud recruiters only to get to a max of 10 wins on good years. Why will this staff be able to go 11-1?
Petenaude is just a sacrificial lamb on the way to our real coordinator to arrive after more applicable recruiting goes on

aeromech

Dodd-Like
Very true. But I can remember vividly sitting in the stands with fraternity brothers in 1988 and 1989 and people were calling for Bobby Ross to be fired. But they sure weren't saying that in 1990.
True, I remember the exact same thing; and for the record I am NOT calling for CGC to be fired. I am not even calling for Patenaude to be fired (yet).

aeromech

Dodd-Like
Petenaude is just a sacrificial lamb on the way to our real coordinator to arrive after more applicable recruiting goes on
I am not sure if it is a real plan; but my gut tells me Key didn't leave Alabama to come back to be the OL coach.

daBuzz

Dodd-Like
Nobody KNOWS that they can be but no one KNOWS they cannot be either.
A few things are inarguable though:
- the players have bought into the new staff and continue to work hard and play hard
- the new staff has shown they can recruit.

Better talent level at least gives you the opportunity to be a better team.

RussianOffense

НЕТ ВОЙНЕ
This is my big concern with this staff. I think we'll recruit better, but not sure we have the X's and O's smarts to be a double-digit wins team. Maybe we could have an incredible defense, Collins' resume suggests that's possible.

That said, enough talent can negate all coaching deficiencies. Auburn won a National Championship despite a Ted Roof defense, because Cam Newton and Nick Fairley.

aeromech

Dodd-Like
This is my big concern with this staff. I think we'll recruit better, but not sure we have the X's and O's smarts to be a double-digit wins team. Maybe we could have an incredible defense, Collins' resume suggests that's possible.

That said, enough talent can negate all coaching deficiencies. Auburn won a National Championship despite a Ted Roof defense, because Cam Newton and Nick Fairley.
Kirby Smart and Mark Richt say 'not so fast my friend'. Auburn won despite Ted Roof because they had Gus Malzahn as the OC, Newton and Fairley.

Tampa Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Because they are solid coaches. They have quickly settled on the best quarterback.

For the life of me I cannot understand why Tech fans do not understand that the cupboard is just about absolutely bare. We’ve had injuries galore. Go back and try to find a time when we were jogging out freshman and sophomore‘s first string. You can’t.

Go back and find me a period of Georgia Tech football over a decade where we sent fewer players to the NFL. You can’t.

Patience.

Last edited:

Deke

Everybody relax, I'm here.
Because they are solid coaches. They have quickly settled on the best quarterback.
I'm still optimistic that they are solid coaches, but that's basically all faith at this point. I don't know if pointing to the fact they were able to settle on a starting quarter back after only 4 games is a very persuasive supporting argument.

GTCrew4b

NIL Supporter Strictly On Capitalist Grounds
I'm basing my theories off of more than just the GT experience. Collins has a previous head coaching record. He didn't get to 10 wins despite his predecessor reaching 10 wins with similar talent. Now his successor seems primed to reach 10 wins at Temple while his predecessor is doing great things at Baylor.

I'd be happy with Collins being a 9-3 or 8-4 coach and GT getting some good talent in the NFL. That would be cool. I'm hoping he continues to grow in the role of head coach. I expect the defense to perform well throughout his tenure.

Allen Koholic

Likes dick drawings.
I'm basing my theories off of more than just the GT experience. Collins has a previous head coaching record. He didn't get to 10 wins despite his predecessor reaching 10 wins with similar talent. Now his successor seems primed to reach 10 wins at Temple while his predecessor is doing great things at Baylor.

I'd be happy with Collins being a 9-3 or 8-4 coach and GT getting some good talent in the NFL. That would be cool. I'm hoping he continues to grow in the role of head coach. I expect the defense to perform well throughout his tenure.
Depends on which teams are included in that 8. Beating some lousy ACC teams and some garbage OOC teams isn't what I consider carrying the torch. Tech has Clemson and UGA on the schedule every season, and if they only way we can beat them with Collins as the coach is to out-recruit them, I've got some really bad news...

GoldZ

Dodd-Like

For the life of me I cannot understand why Tech fans do not understand that the cupboard is just about absolutely bare. We’ve had injuries galore. Go back and try to find a time when we were jogging out freshman and sophomore‘s first string. You can’t.

Go back and find me a period of Georgia Tech football over a decade where we sent fewer players to the NFL. You can’t.

Patience.
Depends on if your objective is to send players to the NFL. A lot of people kinda like going to Orange Bowls, winning ACC titles, and going into Athens against their future NFL laden teams, and beating them (knife to a gun fight and winning).
Not an anti CGC post. He may or may not develop into an excellent HC. Right now, he's obviously still learning on the job because he is currently taking a knife to a gun fight and getting hammered. What matters to me is not the 4* guys he signed from the portal who didn't play much at where they came from, but rather the fact that the players are still buying into what he's selling--thats impressive.
Right now, it's all about mid-season 2021 starting to look a lot like 1989. We will know by then if he can recruit 4 stars into a losing program AND if he can coach (4.5 yrs on the job is more than enough to tell).

Tampa Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Depends on if your objective is to send players to the NFL. A lot of people kinda like going to Orange Bowls, winning ACC titles, and going into Athens against their future NFL laden teams, and beating them (knife to a gun fight and winning).
Not an anti CGC post. He may or may not develop into an excellent HC. Right now, he's obviously still learning on the job because he is currently taking a knife to a gun fight and getting hammered. What matters to me is not the 4* guys he signed from the portal who didn't play much at where they came from, but rather the fact that the players are still buying into what he's selling--thats impressive.
Right now, it's all about mid-season 2021 starting to look a lot like 1989. We will know by then if he can recruit 4 stars into a losing program AND if he can coach (4.5 yrs on the job is more than enough to tell).
There are probably fewer than two dozen coaches in CFB today that understand X's and O's better than Paul Johnson. Dave Patenaude probably isn't one of them.
But what 4-star would not want to come play for Collins, Brent Key, Thacker, Tashard Choice and Marco Coleman. From everything I've heard those guys are hugely popular among players.
They are energetic. Atlanta is a great place to go to school. What they are "selling" is the truth: 4-stars will come in here and get early playing time. And they will rebuild the GT Brand.

MGYSGT GRITS

Varsity Lurker
Look, douchebag, if you wanna talk about Louisville, start your own Louisville thread. Don't douche mine up because you're too stupid to figger out what it's about.
Like you tried to douche my post. I think you might douche people regularly.