Am I the only one worried about Duke and UNC ?

Gold Rush

Flats Noob
First of all, for almost the first time (except Vandy)this year we won't be the underdogs. If I have learned one thing following Tech FB, I'd almost always rather be the underdog.

We never seem to get up for Duke at Duke.
Roof WILL have them ready.
We're coming off a loooong break.

UNC has played progressively better and better all year. The week before last they literally had the game won and lost as time expired on a fluke. They played Clempson to the bitter end, and had some tough breaks to lose. Durant is scarey when he gets out of the pocket.

I hope Chan gets the guys ready, because these are gonna be hard fought games IMO. Neither of these two teams are going to lie down for us needless to say.

I am very much with you, GR. The Roof factor worries me at Duke, and I feel like UNC has improved the last couple of games. We have also shown a propensity to play without passion against weaker opponents this year, i.e. BYU, Vandy, and even Clemson, I'd argue.

I hate playing a team like Duke. They have just enough talent to be dangerous and they have nothing to lose. Roof has them fired up as well. We need to focus and take care of business on the line of scrimmage.

UNC has an offense but no D. Tenuta needs to clamp down on Durant.

Darion Durant is gonna be awful sore after getting popped by our LB's and Landry a few times and Durant is their offense. I also think our offensive line can whip their D. I don't anticipate Duke being too much of a struggle, Roof or not. We have 13 out of the last 14 there and I don't see us giving up this one.

I agree 100% GR. As I stated in another post, We do NOT need to look past Puke, or the toreheels. They can BOTh give us some trouble. Quite honestly, im more scared to play Puke. They are on like a 23 game confrence loseing streak. Would hate for GT to be remembered as the ones that broke their streak. Was kinda hopeing theyed get one this year before us, but oh well. i really think Chan, and the coaches realize what puke and UNC are capeable of, if someone looks past em. Especilly after that UGAg/UAB game last week. I think tey'll be prepaired.
fart.gif

I said earlier that we "should" beat duke and
unc, but I meant on paper.

I am very concerned about duke because of the intangibles that come with Ted. I believe their players think they can beat us, and I know Ted desperately "needs" to beat us.

Hopefully, Chan will get his troops ready for an emotional game in Durham. More importantly, the OL needs to be ready to play pissed off.

If I had to guess, Ted will load the box trying to force RB to throw it early. I am looking for another big showing from Foschi picking up early first downs.
We wear them down, and PJ goes large in the second half.

Not even considering unc at this point.

I said earlier that we "should" beat duke and
unc, but I meant on paper.

I am very concerned about duke because of the intangibles that come with Ted. I believe their players think they can beat us, and I know Ted desperately "needs" to beat us.

Hopefully, Chan will get his troops ready for an emotional game in Durham. More importantly, the OL needs to be ready to play pissed off.

If I had to guess, Ted will load the box trying to force RB to throw it early. I am looking for another big showing from Foschi picking up early first downs.
We wear them down, and PJ goes large in the second half.

Not even considering unc at this point.

I am not concerned about Duke and UNC.

We will CRUSH THEM.

(I hope)
frown.gif

Originally posted by GT flunkout:
I am not concerned about Duke and UNC.

We will CRUSH THEM.

(I hope)
frown.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Flunkout,

If you jinx us I'll be coming by the tailgate to
flog you with a beer soaked shaker.

*chuckle*

It is certainly reasonable to be concerned with any opponent....especially when we are #109 in offense and only scoring 16 points per game but are only giving up 16 points per game.

Dook is ranked #77 in offense and also scores 16 points per game but is giving up 30 points per game (I am reasonably sure that Coach Roof would love to have some of our defensive studs that HE recruited to help get that number down).

North Carolina is ranked #48 in offense and scores 26 points per game but is giving up 37 points per game.

It appears that neither team has enough defense to give us that much problem, if Chan doesn't help them by keeping our offense shut down on his own.

Ted Roof will have his team sky high and we are lucky he doesn't have the talent we have, especially on defense.

These games are winnable and we should win them. But I have a novel idea....just to be sure we win them, and since we are supposed to have an offensive guru, why don't we turn our offense loose just to be safe.
confused.gif

Originally posted by beeware:

Ted Roof will have his team sky high and we are lucky he doesn't have the talent we have, especially on defense.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Beeware,

Tenuta is doing a better job with less talent than
Roof did when he was here. Of course, I think G'OL
was holding Roof back a bit.

If we'd had Tenuta in 2000 we'd have played for
the big prize IMHO.

Originally posted by CrackerJacket:

Beeware,

Tenuta is doing a better job with less talent than
Roof did when he was here. Of course, I think G'OL
was holding Roof back a bit.

If we'd had Tenuta in 2000 we'd have played for
the big prize IMHO.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">cracker,

For the record, I respectfully disagree with every syllable of this post.
shocked.gif

I've said it before.

Even the worst team has a few studs and those guys can beat you. How many plays does it take to change a game and how many guys does it take for a big play?

Both teams can beat us but shouldn't.

Darian Durant is like Woody Dantzler - who played well a lot of games - but against us in 2001 was from another planet - DD can play and we better contain him.

If we have had consistent issues with our defense - it's a QB who tucks and converts the third while eveybody else is covered.

On the Roof factor - I had a teacher who used to say it's pretty easy to get a 'B', but it's dang hard to get an 'A'.

Roof keeps getting B's and C's out of a defense that has always been an F. If we don't play on our own level - they can sure give us problems.

So...

No - you're not the only one that thinks neither win is in the bag. Good post Gold Rush.

Do I think we win both - yes. Am I still concerned - yes, as well.

The fact that we have a running game should get us through both these games.

Like what you saw with Wake if we can lean on these weaker teams they should fold. If you are pass oriented then you are more vulnerable as you have seen with ugag.

As long as we DO NOT have turnovers we should be ok. Turnovers can change the situation fast.

Originally posted by BarrelORum:

Your crazy Cracker. Beeware's All Star Coaching wish list would be Mac McWhorter (with no head coaching experience) at the helm, followed by Billy OBrien's wannabe Fridge offense, and the Leaky Roof defense. We would have won the National Championship last year with that dream team. What's wrong with you?

I mean those guys had solid rankings.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Bor,

You are correct that I would love to have Coach McWhorter as head coach and Coach O'Brien (32 points per game versus Chan's 16) as offensive coordinator and Ted Roof's energetic and improving defense's (Who can forget the way Roof's 2001 defense kicked Tenuta's North Carolina team, that was loaded with NFL players, all over the field on Thursday night national tv).

You bet I would. We would never have missed a beat from the outstanding Seattle Bowl performance and would not have completely wasted 2002 with on the job training, flunkgate, lack of player discipline, etc.

But I would bet you anything I have that if Coach Mac had taken over and ran our offense into the ground like Chan has (#109 in the nation) that y'all wouldn't be kissing up to it....you would be raising helle about it.
shocked.gif

Beeware you are a broken record. Every post is the same thing. This argument is settled none of your beloved coaches are coming back.
rolleyes.gif

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by BarrelORum:

Your crazy Cracker. Beeware's All Star Coaching wish list would be Mac McWhorter (with no head coaching experience) at the helm, followed by Billy OBrien's wannabe Fridge offense, and the Leaky Roof defense. We would have won the National Championship last year with that dream team. What's wrong with you?

You are correct that I would love to have Coach McWhorter as head coach and Coach O'Brien (32 points per game versus Chan's 16) as offensive coordinator and Ted Roof's energetic and improving defense's (Who can forget the way Roof's 2001 defense kicked Tenuta's North Carolina team, that was loaded with NFL players, all over the field on Thursday night national tv).

You bet I would. We would never have missed a beat from the outstanding Seattle Bowl performance and would not have completely wasted 2002 with on the job training, flunkgate, lack of player discipline, etc.

But I would bet you anything I have that if Coach Mac had taken over and ran our offense into the ground like Chan has (#109 in the nation) that y'all wouldn't be kissing up to it....you would be raising helle about it.
shocked.gif
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You're funny Beeware. Funny in the way that you talk about What If's like they would have been fact. The fact of the matter is you don't know. Based on some of your assumptions about our current coaching staff, it is only logical to assume that you would probably be way off base about how good those 3 guys would be if they DID take over.

You must have the cleanest feet in America. I just couldn't imagine anyone with dirty feet willingly putting their foot in their mouth over and over again.

Duke looks at us about like Florida looks at UGAg.
Old-tyme traditional rivalry. They may not have many fans in the stands but what supporters they do have, not to mention the team, will be fired up for this game and hell-bent for an upset. It would practically make a lot of their's season.

Ted Roof on a mission is nothing to scoff at either.

They will beat us if we don't show up with our "A" game and a sound gameplan. We'll have to physically beat them and outplay them to win this one.

THWD!!!

Originally posted by gnats67:
Duke looks at us about like Florida looks at UGAg.
Old-tyme traditional rivalry. They may not have many fans in the stands but what supporters they do have, not to mention the team, will be fired up for this game and hell-bent for an upset. It would practically make a lot of their's season.

Ted Roof on a mission is nothing to scoff at either.

They will beat us if we don't show up with our "A" game and a sound gameplan. We'll have to physically beat them and outplay them to win this one.

THWD!!!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I think you have it backwards. We look at Duke like UF looks at UGA - an automatic "W" every year.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by BarrelORum:

shocked.gif
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Okay smart guy, for the umpteenth time, please post Mac's head coaching record this year to prove your point. For that matter, what's the combined record for O'b and Roof? Step up to the plate and post it.

You love stats so much, post Mac's HC stats this year. Or last year for that matter.

Back