Am I the only one worried about Duke and UNC ?

Originally posted by beeware
(Who can forget the way Roof's 2001 defense kicked Tenuta's North Carolina team, that was loaded with NFL players, all over the field on Thursday night national tv).
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">i like the beeware quote about Roof's defense kicking Tenuta's team which was loaded with NFL players on national TV in 2001.

now i haven't spent a lot of years watching football but i've learnt a few things in the few years that i have watched it.

the defense plays versus the offense and vice versa.

ummmm .. so Roof's defense wasn't kicking Tenuta's defense now was it? LOL

and if it did .. then who can forget the defensive shutout that Tenuta pitched to Roof's team in 2002?

It is possible that Duke and UNC could surprise GT. Hopefully, the coaching staff is preaching this to the team. For the record, I like Tenuta's attacking defense. Landry's hits are awesome baby!!! D. Smith coaches on the field and what more is there to say about Key Fox. The D line plays and holds their positions like Coach Spencer wants.

IMHO, T. Roof was held back by GoL. Still have a vivid memory of the Big Bee in Roof's face during the 2001 Climpsum game.

We have what we have regarding coaches and what if's are futile at this point. There has been progress this year and frankly more excitement than I expected.

So BEE's let's enjoy the remainder of the season and hopefully the team can finish 8-4 or better yet 9-3. Who would have expected this possibility after the Climpsum fiasco?
drinking.gif
drinking.gif

BOR, it gets old doesn't it.
pat.gif

beeware, answer ONE question.

Which of your former (current?) loves coaches a team that is underachieving?

a) Only Ted, Mac, and Bill
b) All three of them
c) Just OBrien, Roof and MacWhorter
d) all of the above

All this while the blind squirrels Braine assembled have stumbled on five pretty impressive nuts.

I'm not too worried at all over Dook. They will be taken to the woodshed by Tennessee and will be mentally and physically beaten by the time they play us. We will have 16 days from our last game against Maryland. Our guys will be sick and tired of hitting each other and will be out for blood and it will be blue blood they will taste.

It will look a bit ugly for a quarter, but by halftime, we will settle down and cruise in the second half. It will be similar to the Wake Forest game.

The UNC game will be similar, except the wheels are coming off the Tar Heels program. I see a similar pattern to our '94 season under B*** L****. They will finish at best, 2-10.

GO JACKETS!!
byteback

OK beewuss, you want to keep talking about the Seattle Bowl (aren't we proud to have been part of that 2 year classic?), yet you never mention this years awebern game, or how we played FSU better than at any time under O'L, fridge, Roof, Mac, etc. You never mention last years upset of #9 NCSU, yet always talk about the upset of stanford. You never mention those things because you are gutless and have no integrity.

Originally posted by beeware:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by BarrelORum:

Your crazy Cracker. Beeware's All Star Coaching wish list would be Mac McWhorter (with no head coaching experience) at the helm, followed by Billy OBrien's wannabe Fridge offense, and the Leaky Roof defense. We would have won the National Championship last year with that dream team. What's wrong with you?

I mean those guys had solid rankings.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Bor,

You are correct that I would love to have Coach McWhorter as head coach and Coach O'Brien (32 points per game versus Chan's 16) as offensive coordinator and Ted Roof's energetic and improving defense's (Who can forget the way Roof's 2001 defense kicked Tenuta's North Carolina team, that was loaded with NFL players, all over the field on Thursday night national tv).

You bet I would. We would never have missed a beat from the outstanding Seattle Bowl performance and would not have completely wasted 2002 with on the job training, flunkgate, lack of player discipline, etc.

But I would bet you anything I have that if Coach Mac had taken over and ran our offense into the ground like Chan has (#109 in the nation) that y'all wouldn't be kissing up to it....you would be raising helle about it.
shocked.gif
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Reggie Ball most likely wouldn't be here if it wasn't for Chan (nor Wrotto and a few others). And for that I don't miss Mac one bit. If the 7 minute drive or 8 minute gem in our previous games don't make you proud then you got problems mister.

Gotta agree w/you GR.
These are the teams that bug me the most. It may be just me, but Duke has been a thorn in our flesh in the past. I have sat there and watched us lose a two TD lead in the final 2 or 3 minutes some years back. And on top of that, it IS hard for us to "get up" for Duke.
Re: Roof.
Thought the world of that kid when he played here. Thrilled to see him come aboard the coaching staff. However, I was not that crazy with his defenses during his time as DC at GT. Way too many mis-tackles and failing to lock up on the tackle. Hated to see him leave, but I think Chan made a wise decision to go the route he took. I realize I could possibly have to eat these words soon, but that's where I am now.
Good post you presented for us.

The memory is faded a bit but who was the Def Coach when we lost a 2 TD lead aganist Dook?
Ted Roof?
We lost several games once he went to a prevent defense.

I am scared to death of our up-coming
game with the Dookies, simply because
I have spent many long afternoons at
Wallace-Wade, when GT had the superior
talent vs. the Dookies and lost the
games.

For some reason I cannot explain why that
old dilapidated stadium has been a thorn
in our sides.

Hopefully, the Vols will do us a favor
and lay the lead to the Dookies. I hope
that the Tenn/Dook game is a very physical
game and they come into their game with
us, beat physically and mentally.

Originally posted by beeware:
It is certainly reasonable to be concerned with any opponent....especially when we are #109 in offense and only scoring 16 points per game but are only giving up 16 points per game.

Dook is ranked #77 in offense and also scores 16 points per game but is giving up 30 points per game (I am reasonably sure that Coach Roof would love to have some of our defensive studs that HE recruited to help get that number down).

North Carolina is ranked #48 in offense and scores 26 points per game but is giving up 37 points per game.

It appears that neither team has enough defense to give us that much problem, if Chan doesn't help them by keeping our offense shut down on his own.

Ted Roof will have his team sky high and we are lucky he doesn't have the talent we have, especially on defense.

These games are winnable and we should win them. But I have a novel idea....just to be sure we win them, and since we are supposed to have an offensive guru, why don't we turn our offense loose just to be safe.
confused.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Beeware, you must have really done well in your statistics class. Good for you. You must have really enjoyed the O'Leary years when we were ranked at the top of all offensive categories while turning in similar performances to this year but with more experienced players. The 7-5 record in 2001 must have been easy for you to swallow considering we had such a productive offense ranked at the top of the NCAA.

Stats are for losers. Oh wait a minute...

Originally posted by CrackerJacket:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by beeware:

Ted Roof will have his team sky high and we are lucky he doesn't have the talent we have, especially on defense.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Beeware,

Tenuta is doing a better job with less talent than
Roof did when he was here. Of course, I think G'OL
was holding Roof back a bit.

If we'd had Tenuta in 2000 we'd have played for
the big prize IMHO.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Your crazy Cracker. Beeware's All Star Coaching wish list would be Mac McWhorter (with no head coaching experience) at the helm, followed by Billy OBrien's wannabe Fridge offense, and the Leaky Roof defense. We would have won the National Championship last year with that dream team. What's wrong with you?

I mean those guys had solid rankings.

We need to have a sense of urgency against every team we play. We just are not a good enough team to have a bad game and win. We have a very good overacheiving defense, but our offensive performance does not give us a large margin of error. If we do not turnover the ball and the defense continues to play well, we should beat both these teams easily, but we have been both Jeckyll and Hyde over the past two years and anything is possible.

We really overacheived in 2000 with an uncertain QB situation and somewhat underacheived in 2001 with a bunch of key injuries (Godsey, Curry, D. Smith, Hatch, even Wilder & Campbell to some extent). I feel that we underacheived in 2002. I would say somewhat underacheived if it were not for the melt down at the end of the year. In 2003, we are poised to overacheive if we can take care of business in the final four games. Barring an epic melt down Gailey will be back next year. The real question for next year will likely be 'how much of this year's success is attributable to Tenuta (as he is probably gone) and how much to Gailey?' much like the O'Leary / Freidgen arguement.

With defensive coach like O'Leary here and a young D-Coordinator like Roof, I am not sure we had the opportunity to see Roof's true coaching style here at GT. What perplexes me is the way NFL commentators describe O'Leary's Vikings defense as risk taking when the defense we had when he was here was anything but. I wish Roof well because of what he has done for GT and hope he gets the job at Duke, but not at our expense.

You want to argue that Ralph makes a better OC than Chan, fine. You want to argue that BO'B is a better OC than Chan, I'll disagree, but fine. But if you think that Roof is a better DC than Tenuta, you are ignoring so much factual information (that I won't provide, but is available), that it's unbelievable.

Let's see: How many games did Ralph have to outscore the other team because of our porous defense under Roof? Lots. I don't see how Roof defenses can be classified as anything but terrible. Under his tenure, for every good game the D had ('99 WF, for example), there were 5-10 terrible ones. And that one UNC game that you tout as Roof kicking Tenuta's arse? 2 things: the person who said D does not play D is correct, and that game could have had to do more with Big Nat handling Peppers than with the scheme, but that's debateable.

If Roof doesn't win at Duke, my guess is (bless his heart) he will end up a position coach somewhere. So these 2 terrific coordinators of GO'L will both be position coaches. If they were that great, someone would hire them. Dispute that.

Roof sounds like a very good motivational coach, he may make a good HC, but his defense was nothing to brag about when he was here and same with Duke.

All of these people that love the old regime and claim that we blindly follow Chan, are just as guilty of blindly following O'Leary. It's all the same thing. You act like we fired him. He could have retired here, he had done a lot with the program, but he didn't retire here. HE LEFT!! Get over it!

Originally posted by JTS:
What perplexes me is the way NFL commentators describe O'Leary's Vikings defense as risk taking when the defense we had when he was here was anything but. I wish Roof well because of what he has done for GT and hope he gets the job at Duke, but not at our expense.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">It's probably the same way that we beat UMd. The HC finds Coordinators he trusts to handle the game for them. Ralph is not the OC at UMd, and O'Leary was not the DC here. They were/are Head Coaches, and they can't be in charge of everything.

All this while the blind squirrels Braine assembled have stumbled on 5 pretty impressive nuts. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GTCrew,
Thank sums it up better than anyone else in this thread. Let's take Duke, then worry about UNC.

GT tuba-dammitt,

Sure the HC cannot be incharge of everything, but they sure as heck don't just show up on Saturdays and hope their coordinators put together a good game plan. HC's allocate their time between offense, defense, and special teams as needed. I think you will find that a lot of staffs have one very experienced and successful coordinator that is very highly paid, but requires very little of the HC's time and one less experienced coordinator that isn't paid so much and requires more of the HC time. The less experienced coordinator is usually in the coordinator position that HC has the most expertise in.

By the way, you took that quote completely out of context. I have read (not in this particular thread) people discuss how much influence O'Leary had over the defense when Roof was D-coordinator. I think it is interesting to note the difference in the style of O'Leary's defense at MN vs. the defenses we had under him as our HC.

Back