Analysis of Dwyer

Says he never fumbled? I swear I remember him fumbling a few times.

People will bash me for this, but I think outside of pure foot speed, TC was a better RB than Dwyer.

http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2010/1/21/1264286/jonathan-dwyer-nfl-draft-scouting

What?!?!:

"Show's a good first cut, but not a lot after that." - He didn't need a lot after that!

"Dwyer broke some long runs for Georgia Tech, but he won't run away from a lot of safeties at the next level." -The reason you only saw him make one good cut was because he was running away from safeties after that!!!

Did this guy not watch Dwyer in 2008? It wasn't a matter of if the saftey would catch up to him. The question was could the safety stay close enough to be in the frame when Dwyer scored.

That being said, Dwyer looked a step slower in 2009. But he seemed heavier in 2009 too.

People will bash me for this, but I think outside of pure foot speed, TC was a better RB than Dwyer.

I would have disagreed a year ago, but you're probably right. Dwyer has about as perfect a body for an RB as you can get, but he just loves contact too much. I swear he ran TOWARD defenders on multiple occasions when there was open field available.

Tashard Choice knew how to get yards that looked impossible by AVOIDING contact. When Dwyer got the impossible yards, it typically involved a defender on the ground and being tackled soon after.

I would have disagreed a year ago, but you're probably right. Dwyer has about as perfect a body for an RB as you can get, but he just loves contact too much. I swear he ran TOWARD defenders on multiple occasions when there was open field available.

Tashard Choice knew how to get yards that looked impossible by AVOIDING contact. When Dwyer got the impossible yards, it typically involved a defender on the ground and being tackled soon after.

The Tech player who loved contact the most: Kelly Rhino. I still remember him being chased down by a UNC linebacker.

In the middle of the season, Dwyer was encouraged by Nesbitt, Thomas, and Burnett to run people over rather than try to make a move to the open field. That worked out better for him.

Why would people bash you other than it's just a bad comparison.

TC - better vision, better moves, quickness
JD - better stiffarm, better use of power, better high end speed

both good, just different.

IMO JD was not as sharp this year as last. You can talk the "keying on him" and etc but it seemed he was not quite as crisp. JD may have been more banged up this year with nagging injuries that allow you to play but not quite 100%.

It will be interesting to see the #'s that Allen puts up. If Allen's #'s look the same at JD then I think it will provide some perspective.

I remember the Miami game from 08 where Cox was putting up JD #'s in the B-back spot. When you watch Navy it is clear that is such a dynamic position that you are guaranteed big #'s. I believe PJ has stated that his B-Backs gain a minimum of 1200+.

The other issue I have with JD is that the fact that Nesbitt was playing better this year should have given him more opportunities. I don't know if we are familiar enough with PJ's offense to actually evaluate these backs. Like I said if AA comes in and has better #'s then JD then what does that mean?

I am picturing a slightly faster version of Michael Turner although I will freely admit I do not watch the Falcons that closely.

Why would people bash you other than it's just a bad comparison.

TC - better vision, better moves, quickness
JD - better stiffarm, better use of power, better high end speed

both good, just different.

what are you talking about? TC taught Dwyer the stiff arm and VT players said TC was the hardest player to bring down during the season. Sometimes Dwyer looked like he was easily brought down.

Like I said before, Dwyer is faster, but I don't think he has anything else on TC.

what are you talking about? TC taught Dwyer the stiff arm and VT players said TC was the hardest player to bring down during the season. Sometimes Dwyer looked like he was easily brought down.

Like I said before, Dwyer is faster, but I don't think he has anything else on TC.
You mean other than the times he was running over them?

He was easily taken down by 300+ lb DTs who knew where he would be getting the ball.

chancellor2008_04.jpg

Dwyer had no chance :(.

http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2010/1/21/1264286/jonathan-dwyer-nfl-draft-scouting

What?!?!:

"Show's a good first cut, but not a lot after that." - He didn't need a lot after that!

"Dwyer broke some long runs for Georgia Tech, but he won't run away from a lot of safeties at the next level." -The reason you only saw him make one good cut was because he was running away from safeties after that!!!

I NEVER saw JD get caught from behind. UNC 08 was close. His speed was truly on display in ACC Championship game on last series on play to the outside and long run against FSU in Tallahassee. You are not SECOND in the state in the 100Meters in GEORGIA coming out of HS and not be one of the fastest 'top end' guys on the field. Moves? For a guy his size and speed his moves are awesome!! Guts? 09 Miami game aside he is a tough kid!!

I agree. CHoice actually had more yards in his 2 seasons than Dwyer did. Some people seem to forget how good TC was in and offense where he really had to carry the load because of how bad the Qb's were.

I am impressed with these analyses. They are spot on I think. Dwyer doesn't have much jiggle in his run. He's more of a N-S runner, in the mold of Herschel Walker. Not a lot of shake and bake. He will be a solid back but not a flashy back at the next level.

I agree. CHoice actually had more yards in his 2 seasons than Dwyer did. Some people seem to forget how good TC was in and offense where he really had to carry the load because of how bad the Qb's were.
Well, TC has 243 more yards for his career than Jon did, but he also had 180 more carries. The offenses were different of course, but Jon was pretty effective as a backup from the pro set we ran before PJ. I'd say TC is slipperier in the hole, Jon is faster and has more power.

Back