Analysis of Dwyer

I love TC for his work ethic and attitude, and he is a good back (very good college back). But Dwyer, if he were running in the I, would have easily been pushing 2000 yards the last two years. However, he did bulk up for the position he was asked to play, and it hindered him last year. If he drops 15-20 pounds before the combine, he'll be the fastest RB in the draft outside of Spiller. He'll go mid-late first round and be a starter in the NFL by the end of his rookie season.

I love TC for his work ethic and attitude, and he is a good back (very good college back). But Dwyer, if he were running in the I, would have easily been pushing 2000 yards the last two years. However, he did bulk up for the position he was asked to play, and it hindered him last year. If he drops 15-20 pounds before the combine, he'll be the fastest RB in the draft outside of Spiller. He'll go mid-late first round and be a starter in the NFL by the end of his rookie season.

Dwyer wouldn't have ran for 2k. He didn't show good vision as a freshman. I doubt he would have posted better numbers than Choice in the same offense.

Dwyer wouldn't have ran for 2k. He didn't show good vision as a freshman. I doubt he would have posted better numbers than Choice in the same offense.

Perhaps a bit of exaggeration, but he would have easily topped 1500. He was picking up holes by the end of his FR year, and averaged 5.3 ypc. Running 25-30x/game as a feature back in a pro set, that's 125-150 ypg.

This is a silly argument. TC had more heart to be a good runningback at the college and NFL level than anyone I've ever seen, but he doesn't have near the talent that Dwyer has. Anyone who thinks Dwyer dropped off from 2008-2009 is blind. He went up against tougher competition in 2009, had defenses keying on him as the mainstay of our attack unlike 2008, and yet he still rushed for the same yardage as he did the year before. IF you want to see what Dwyer looks like in a proset, go look at his freshman year footage when it looked like he should be starting over Tashard Choice.

Guys like Dwyer don't come around in the NFL very often. LT and Bo Jackson are very similar in style, build, and speed as Dwyer. Go look at the top 10 runningbacks in the NFL this past year. Most of them are short guys like Johnson, Rice, and Jones-Drew. These guys are short and thick. Not many taller backs are thick. Dwyer is tall, big and fast. He's also proven that he can take the licks basically playing Fullback in our offense. If we ran a pro set offense for the last two years, Dwyer would be a top 15 pick. I don't see how it will be possible for teams like New England and San Diego to not draft him in the late first round.

If Dwyer has a good combine, he could very well skyrocket up the draft boards. Needless to say TC worked his ass off to be drafted as high as he was... Dwyer could eat chips and dip, lay on the couch until draft day and still be a second round pick.

Dwyer was definitely a step slower. I guess that would be the case when you are weighing 245lbs compared to 230lbs in '08. And no that was not 15lbs of muscle

Jon Dwyer = a faster TJ Duckett in my opinion. (I was a TJ fan so that is no slight)

Jon is EXCELLENT out of the hole, but horrible TO and THRU the hole IMO. He is easily tackled or tripped at the line, but on the other side of the hole, Dwyer is an absolute beast to deal with.

Jon Dwyer = a faster TJ Duckett in my opinion. (I was a TJ fan so that is no slight)

Jon is EXCELLENT out of the hole, but horrible TO and THRU the hole IMO. He is easily tackled or tripped at the line, but on the other side of the hole, Dwyer is an absolute beast to deal with.

This.

IMO JD was not as sharp this year as last. You can talk the "keying on him" and etc but it seemed he was not quite as crisp.

The defense did key in on him in 2009 a lot more than 2008. He was getting hit on every play with a dive regardless of whether or not he had the ball. In 2008, JD was able to hit the open gap quite a few times and bust up the middle for big yards. In 2009, it was rare for him to not meet a defender in the gap.

Defenses that played against us in 2008 seemed to have tried to stop every part of the offense and JD got loose. Whereas in 2009, they seemed to focus on taking JD out of the equation and letting Josh beat them. Thankfully, in most cases, Josh was able to beat them.

Duckett was a lot slower in college than Dwyer and he runs more upright with a higher center of gravity. Much like Hershel walker did.

I think you're off. Dwyer reminds me a lot of Bo Jackson and Ladanian Tominson. Call me crazy. I see Dwyer as someone's featured back.

How is he horrible to and through the hole? He's lining up as a fullback. No **** he's not hitting the hole like a runningback.

you know, this is by no means an insult, because back when he played for Nebraska he looked like an awesome NFL prospect, but Dwyer runs very similar to Lawrence Phillips. He's like a bigger more punishing Phillips.

If Choice and Dwyer were both available in the draft today, I would take Choice. He has an intangible that seems to set him apart.

As to who is the most physically gifted? Dwyer, of course.

you know, this is by no means an insult, because back when he played for Nebraska he looked like an awesome NFL prospect, but Dwyer runs very similar to Lawrence Phillips. He's like a bigger more punishing Phillips.

This I will buy, the comparison to Bo Jackson was a stretch.

Dwyer is going to have a long productive career in the NFL. Here are my reasons why :
1. Has the body to take the pounding that the NFL dishes out. Also the NFL has changed. Just about every team uses more than 1 back now and that helps with a back being able to take the punishment.
2. Did not get to see it at Tech much but he has good hands. I saw him a few times in High School and he caught some passes and looked good doing it.
3. He has a good initial burst through the hole.
4. Is faster than people think. He can finish plays in a twinkle of a eye.
5. Is a physical back that does not care to hand out some punishment.
6. Has heart. And that cant be measured.
7. He is from Tech so he has to be able to score well on the wonder lic test.
8. Can run backwards faster than anybody in the draft.[had to take 1 shot even though I really think highly of him. But that Iowa backwards run bugs the crap out of me].

Go watch old you tube clips of Jackson on the toss sweep running the option at Auburn and then come back here and say the same.

I watched him blow down the field against our "Black Watch" defense from the East Stands, that was enough for me.

Duckett was a lot slower in college than Dwyer and he runs more upright with a higher center of gravity. Much like Hershel walker did.

I think you're off. Dwyer reminds me a lot of Bo Jackson and Ladanian Tominson. Call me crazy. I see Dwyer as someone's featured back.

How is he horrible to and through the hole? He's lining up as a fullback. No **** he's not hitting the hole like a runningback.
LT? Hell no.
Bo Jackson? Same breakaway stride, but Bo was punishing to, in, and through the hole. JD has always been slow to the hole. Even though I thought he should have played more when Gailey was, this likely kept his carries down.

TJ Duckett, in college, was a devastating runner. Big guy with speed. Will break tackles but mostly after he had a 'head of steam' going. This usually happened after he got through the line. He would then punish LBs, Safeties, etc that got in his way. JUST LIKE DWYER.

Once again, comparisons to Duckett is no slight. I think Duckett was victimized by going to teams that prefer zone blocking instead of the more physical bulldozing lines.

Dwyer will be fine. He has the tools/talent to get paid once. After that, it will be upon him to determine how good/great he wants to be. He'll go in the low 1st (unless he puts up a low 4.4 40 time). Philly, New England, San Diego (perfect fit), etc are all good candidates for a big timer at RB.

I watched him blow down the field against our "Black Watch" defense from the East Stands, that was enough for me.
Dwyer is a fine back that is for sure but he like alot of others are no where near the level of back Jackson was at Auburn. I was there also. Jackson was and is the best back I ever saw in person play in College.

Back