Analysis of the FSU game

BarrelORum

Mediocre Poster
I have not yet watched the replay of this game. Not sure my heart could take it twice. I'm going to keep things short this week, but here are some thoughts on the game in hindsight...

1.) The last time I cursed a coach so much in my life was when we lost to Clemson and woody Dantzler at home in 1999. Ted Roof at the time was my whipping boy. This time around it was Wommack. My friend and I joked about how PJ should write on a pink posty note "You're fired, go get me some Cheese Krystals for after the game."

2.) Everything I've written on our defense after the last few games has been discussed ad nauseum. Everything I have said from specific players to schemes showed its ugly face again for this game. Again, Tarrant is a safety. When is someone going to actually see that? Maybe they did when they finally benched him. D Morgan cannot rush the QB alone, those interior DLineman have to step up. Osahon Tongo!!!! Way to go my man! Stepped up and made a huge play on defense. We need to give him many many looks to see if he's better than what we currently have.

3.) Defensively, our guys look like they are playing lost. Like they don't know how to play the position or they don't know their role. The thread about practicing against the Triple O constantly got me thinking. I wonder if this is a bigger problem and PJ needs to make a slight adjustment to the way we practice on defense.

4.) For as much as I complained about Wommack and the defense, it would not be fair if I did not say that I was very impressed with the adjustments after the first half. I will say FSU on two ocassions burned themselves for having wide open receivers with clubs for hands that dropped 1st down catches. Both of which ended drives. But still, I saw more rotation of guys and it looked like someone actually coached these guys at halftime. The biggest difference to me was the play of the DLine. We were getting pressure the second half that we did not get the first half. Tarrant briefly redeemed some of his awfulness by bating down a pass in the endzone on a great defensive play. His first I've seen in pass coverage.

5.) Game ball: Josh Nesbitt. I've always been a fan of Josh and knew he was the best bet for QB. I think you see why. Kid can play and has more heart than any QB we've had since Joe Hamilton. Total warrior.

6.) The runningbacks looked great with the exception of two fumbles. Wright needs to go get the ball on the pitch even when there are defenders two yards away. He looked like he was afraid to get hit on one play and came short of the pitch which caused the fumble. Other than that, they played like men.

7.) The OLine owned FSU. Seriously, our oline did a fantastic job. Everyone of them. Big Kudos.

8.) D Thomas.... 2010 NFL first round draft pick. That block in the 4th quarter on the cornerback was brutal. Not to mention your TD catch. Best player on the team this year. I mean that. Most physically gifted athlete we have and that goes for Dwyer too.

9.) PJ... best game day coach I've seen since Friedgen was the OC making adjustments on teams.

I'm hoping our guys can keep the level of intensity up. A lot was left on the field against FSU, not to mention the hour the game finally finished. And even though FSU is bad this year, make no mistake, we got their best game. We went into their house and took care of business when they were a cornered dog. That's a tough thing to do. This win was much bigger than anyone will ever give us credit for.

The bigger issue is now we come back after having given it 150% and we face a team that is peaking. VT has found their offense, which was the element that they missed during the early part of the season. This is a huge game, and I will be very interested to hear what dems says about this week of practice. This team can make a huge statement this week. Our defense needs some serious changes in both personnel and system. We have the talent, there is no question.

Tarrant briefly redeemed some of his awfulness by bating down a pass in the endzone on a great defensive play. His first I've seen in pass coverage.

I'm not positive, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Tarrant was the player who had a huge pass knockdown in the Clemson game on a deep throw late in the 4th quarter. It was either after we tied the game or took the 3 point lead.

If I had to add one thing it would be that Derrick Morgan is double teamed on EVERY play. EVERY play.

He requires so much attention, I am absolutely shocked we don't have anyone who can pressure the quarterback. We are getting owned up front worse than I've ever seen.

I have been down on Josh for awhile but I take it all back. Guy is a warrior and without him we lose the last 2 games. I agree with you 100% on D Thomas. Best player on our team hands down. Dwyers draft status has dropped this year IMO he seems gassed and out of shape to me and at times just going through the motions. Hope he proves me wrong like Josh did and finish the year strong.

I'm not positive, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Tarrant was the player who had a huge pass knockdown in the Clemson game on a deep throw late in the 4th quarter. It was either after we tied the game or took the 3 point lead.

You are right. I agree with most of what you said BOR, but I hope everyone recognizes JD is one of the reasons our offense is playing so well. The defenses are basically saying somebody besides JD is going to have to beat them. We are lucky that JD is a team player and celebrates when others get the limelight. However, on all these big plays, if you look at JD, he's getting hit by 3 or 4 defensive players. When he gets in the open field, JD doesn't get caught from behind either.

As far as the comment about our D playing the TO, I'm pretty sure this is not true. In the offseason yea they face out O a lot. But during the season, the D plays the scout team Offense, and the O plays the scout team defense.

I don't like Wommack, but I think PJ saw our defensive struggles coming. He has heavily recruited defensive players. We've got some good athletes on defense, and we should be better than we are, but I think PJ did expect a drop off from last year.

As far as the comment about our D playing the TO, I'm pretty sure this is not true. In the offseason yea they face out O a lot. But during the season, the D plays the scout team Offense, and the O plays the scout team defense.

Florida's defense has played exceptional. There's no reason we shouldn't either.

He didn't say Tarrant was not talented. The indictment is that he is playing out of his more natural position. That his talents are not being utilized to the fullest.

Maybe the scout team offense just plain sucks.

Maybe the scout team offense just plain sucks.

That is a very good possibility. I mean they are training all offseason to try and get into the TO offense, and then have to switch gears during the season. Not to mention I seriously doubt our scout team can emulate the big O-Lines and good QB's that we've seen.

But I don't think it's a problem with our practices or our players.

I don't like the calls that Wommack makes. He doesn't blitz hardly at all the entire first half knowing we aren't getting pressure from the front four. I don't remember seeing any stunts or anything of that nature to try and get pressure either. Then in the second half he blitzes, but it's very predictable blitzes every time.

It's like Wommack plays a prevent offense until we start giving up a LOT of yardage and points, and then tries to switch things up.

This is already being discussed in another thread and doesn't need to be rehashed here, but according to Wommack and Cooper Taylor this is not as true as you might think. The defense still sees a good bit of the TO during the week.

Dwyer is still 25th in the nation in rushing. Even with defenses keying on him. There is nothing wrong with him.

If the focus goes over to stopping Josh on the option, he'll see some opportunities and seize them.

If they didn't, would they be on the scout team? I always assumed the scout team was made up of players who couldn't cut it on the actual team.

HUH? Scout team players ARE players on the ACTUAL team, they're just not starters either because they are freshman, being redshirted or just not good enough to start. TJ Barnes was ont he scout team last year.

You may as well have just admitted you don't know anything about how a college team is made up.

Dwyer is still 25th in the nation in rushing. Even with defenses keying on him. There is nothing wrong with him.

I don't know where people got off on this tangent. No one ever said nothings wrong with Dwyer. Its just my opinion that Bebe is playing himself into being the best athlete on the field and suited for the next level. Not a slam on Dwyer, but a huge compliment to Bebe.

You may as well have just admitted you don't know anything about how a college team is made up.

No clue. I don't follow recruiting at all and I don't go to practices. I read a lot about the on-the-field stuff and watch all the games, but I'm not one of the guys reading about the battle for the third string tackle spot or (obviously) anything about the scout team.

No clue. I don't follow recruiting at all and I don't go to practices. I read a lot about the on-the-field stuff and watch all the games, but I'm not one of the guys reading about the battle for the third string tackle spot or (obviously) anything about the scout team.

That's not the point. I don't keep up with that **** either, but I do know that a scout team is made up of the rest of the players on the team including the kids who got redshirted. You infered that these guys weren't actually on the roster.

I may have to unsig you for being such a bonehead.

I concur that it always seems to be Tarrant trailing the wide open guys by 5-8 yards, BUT if Peterson is the only other option as he seemed to be Saturday, we are effed either way.

Back