And do it begins….

1664830814526.png

Yank their scholarships and kick them off campus.

Seems like a good solution. If you aren’t gonna play, then GTFO. No room & board and no scholly if you’re not there to play football for SMU.

JRjr

Nope, yank the scholarship but don’t kick them out of school. That has nothing to do with playing football. The AA should sue the kids for the amount of the scholarship spent. At SMU each of those players will probably have a $50k bill headed their way.

How would that argument go?

"Your honor, we recruited these kids to play NCAA football for us. Now they are exercising rights explicitly granted to them by the NCAA. As an NCAA school ourselves, we find this completely unacceptable and demand they pay us $50k each!"

If only we had a thread on this……….
SMU has only played 4 games

How would that argument go?

"Your honor, we recruited these kids to play NCAA football for us. Now they are exercising rights explicitly granted to them by the NCAA. As an NCAA school ourselves, we find this completely unacceptable and demand they pay us $50k each!"

The scholarship was for playing football when told, unless injured. They are refusing to play. It is no different than a grad student refusing to do research.

You would think very few will come calling for players unwilling to put the team above themselves.

Negotiate a salary cap, let schools pay the players, then draw up contracts that prevent bullshit like this.
You think the Big Elites that control CFB like Bama, UGA, OSU. Texas are going to allow anyone to install a salary cap it would make it fair for teams like Georgia Tech to compete?!?!

Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha.

The scholarship was for playing football when told, unless injured. They are refusing to play. It is no different than a grad student refusing to do research.

I would not think a grad student could be sued for refusing to do research. Cut off from their stipend and kicked out of school, sure -- but sued for $50k? I really doubt it. But would be happy to see an example showing otherwise.

I would not think a grad student could be sued for refusing to do research. Cut off from their stipend and kicked out of school, sure -- but sued for $50k? I really doubt it. But would be happy to see an example showing otherwise.

I guess it would come down to how the AA is viewed relative to the school. If it is just like the school of ME, then yes, you just boot them from school. If the AA is separate enough, then the school keeps the tuition payment and the AA would have to go after the athletes to get their money back.

I'm sure these crybabies will be attractive targets in the transfer portal. Sure, let's go after the guy that quit on his team!
Every year a certain number of players choose to skip their bowl game so they won’t get hurt before the NFL draft. It doesn’t hurt their draft position. As to whether any of these players will be picked up by other schools depends primarily if they have any talent.

I'm not sure how it works but seems like by accepting the scholarship to play football, you would sign something saying you agree to play football. If you refuse to play, you are breaking the contract and immediately lose the scholarship. Not sure about suing them but shouldn't be any reason they couldn't send a bill for the current semester. Either pay or get out.

Back