And do it begins….

The NCAA could have headed this off and kept transfers and the portal on the table. Give all players three years (2 years plus a redshirt) to transfer as much as they want. However, once you come back for that fourth year and start class, you are on the hook for the total cost of your education the last two years if you want to transfer.

Nope, yank the scholarship but don’t kick them out of school. That has nothing to do with playing football. The AA should sue the kids for the amount of the scholarship spent. At SMU each of those players will probably have a $50k bill headed their way.
Yank their scholarships and yank their academic support. See how quick they fail out of school.

Nope, yank the scholarship but don’t kick them out of school. That has nothing to do with playing football. The AA should sue the kids for the amount of the scholarship spent. At SMU each of those players will probably have a $50k bill headed their way.
Take players off scholarship for sitting out, they'll start saying they are "injured". But not anything physical or disconfirmable, something like anxiety or stress. What then?

Every year a certain number of players choose to skip their bowl game so they won’t get hurt before the NFL draft. It doesn’t hurt their draft position. As to whether any of these players will be picked up by other schools depends primarily if they have any talent.
That's a relatively recent development too... I remember having similar thoughts then. How many super bowls have been won by players after they elect to sit out bowl games?

Yank their scholarships and yank their academic support. See how quick they fail out of school.
See how quickly they sue the school. This is all going to get worse before it gets better I'm guessing...

Any solution that involves the school (or an organization with the school's name) sending a $50k bill to a student because they're upset he's not playing football is not going to have palatable optics in an environment where there is extreme anger over the skyrocketing cost of schools in general.

Any solution that involves yanking academic support so that students fail out mid-semester is not going to have palatable optics in an environment where there are questions over the NCAA's cap on compensation, which they justify by football being an amateur sport where the "student" part comes first. Especially given that the Supreme Court signaled heavily that the NCAA would lose a case about that, just like they lost the NIL case.

Schools are in a very tough spot here. They're trying to hold onto a business model that is on its last legs (schools agreeing not to pay players directly while collectively signing billion dollar TV contracts), and the concessions they are making to hold onto it (more freedom of movement for the student athletes) are compromising the quality of their product.

That's a relatively recent development too... I remember having similar thoughts then. How many super bowls have been won by players after they elect to sit out bowl games?
What I really find hard to believe is that one year Kirby Smart let one guy who had pulled this sitting out of the bowl game stunt, stand on the sidelines with the team. I can’t remember which player it was, but I found that disgusting.

Back