ANNOUNCEMENT OF NEW AD AT 3PM

Well, hell ...guess I need to change my signature line. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

sounds like a pretty good hire. AD is not a big deal to me personally. If we go 14-0 next year I will call this guy the best AD we ever had and if we go 0-14 the worst.

I couldn't name the AD at any school except the current AD at GT.

I do think all things considered this was probably the "wise" choice. It is VERY risky to hire someone like Curry. If he gets in there and screws up it is difficult to can the guy. If this guy gets in there and screws up it WILL NOT be difficult pull the trigger.

However I give credit/and blame to the coaches for successess and failures of the program.

Sounds like his experience and recent consideration (at SC and AU) did Curry in, I'll wait untill the press conference so Clough can elaborate on the rationale. Hope he doesn't bring the OOC football scheduling practices of the SEC here.

ok, so do we praise or berate the search firm with all those UGAg grads that so many were paranoid about? I'll bet this Rad is really a spy.

Well well well, He wasn't my first choice of the two but he was definitely my second choice of the two Dr. Clough decided on.
Just a little humor folks.
I was really hoping for Bill Curry but by dingit, we got the other one.
OK, I say let's just get behind this newcomer and give him all the support that we can. Could be he'll do us all proud.
I hope so anyway.
BTW, I'll bet he hates UGA already !!!!!! He might not be so bad after all.

[ QUOTE ]
sounds like a pretty good hire. AD is not a big deal to me personally. If we go 14-0 next year I will call this guy the best AD we ever had and if we go 0-14 the worst.

[/ QUOTE ]

So what happens when we go 7-6?

Seeing the quotes from the LSU b-ball coach, it sounds like he works well with the coaches. That's definitely good to hear, especially in terms of keeping Hewitt.

AD not a big deal?

You are obviously a young'un. If you were familiar with GT sports in the late 70's, you'd understand that the most important person in GT sports history is not Heisman or Dodd, it is Homer Rice.

The problems that the GTAA is currently experiencing (some have not come to light, but they will soon), such as probation, are because of poor athletic administration in the past few years.

AD is incredibly important. I hope that the new guy does a great job, but Curry was the guy GT needed at this specific time. The GTAA has some specific needs in the PR arena, both with alumni and with the media, and GT had an unusual opportunity to hire a GT alum with substantial media connections. Since this is almost 100% Clough's call, I did not expect the best decision. I only hope that it is an adequate decision.

Hey BOR, if we go 7-6, we'll give both the AD and Gailey a new contract extension /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/pat.gif

Re: AD not a big deal?

[ QUOTE ]
The problems that the GTAA is currently experiencing (some have not come to light, but they will soon), such as probation, are because of poor athletic administration in the past few years.

[/ QUOTE ]

But administration is NOT one of Curry's strong points...and it apparently is for Radoineidualsvich....

I hear ya, but initially, on the surface this seems like a good hire.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So what happens when we go 7-6?

[/ QUOTE ]
As long as he says anything other than "We shouldn't expect to consistently win 9 games" then it's an improvement.

[/ QUOTE ]As long as he says anything other than "We shouldn't expect to consistently win 9 games" then it's an improvement.

[/ QUOTE ] :

I'll drink to that ! cheers:

Do remember that Bobby Dodd told Bill Curry in the 80's that if he wanted to win a national championship than he should go to Alabama.

His point was not so much that it would be insurmountable (we found it was not), but that it would be a lot more difficult at GT because of other constraints.

Regarding Braine's comments, I think he said out loud what most GT alums think. It was stupid to say in public, but I also think he said it only because he was on his way out and was frustrated.

[ QUOTE ]
Regarding Braine's comments, I think he said out loud what most GT alums think. It was stupid to say in public, but I also think he said it only because he was on his way out and was frustrated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe so but there's only a handful of folks that should refrain from saying it publicly - the AD would be the #1 person on that short list.

I'm disappointed but I will support our new AD. I did find out however that the AD at LSU is leaving in two years. I hope it doesn't come to bite us in the arse. Didn't cluff say he was leaving in two years as well.

[ QUOTE ]
I did find out however that the AD at LSU is leaving in two years. I hope it doesn't come to bite us in the arse.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying it won't happen, but if he really wanted the LSU job, all he needed to do was to stay. All sources say he was the heir apparent.

Back