ANNOUNCEMENT OF NEW AD AT 3PM

Sounds like to me he wants a couple of on the job years of experience and then he may head back. I hope he knows what he's getting himself into.

And if he really wanted the LSU job, how would taking the GT job affect him in any way? Hell, from and LSU standpoint, their number one prospect is now getting more experience than he would had if he had stayed there. If they wanted to, they could always come after him two years down the road. What matters the most is how would he react to that...which I dont think any of us know the answer to that.

My sentiments exactly; just sounds like a couple of years of paid on the job training for a bigger school. I hope Bill Curry doesn't write GT off now.

Disasterous! This man's resume denotes ambition. Fools!

He will use us professionally, where Curry would have genuinely loved us after all. A Dodd man. Fools!

Let the suck up line begin. Disgusting!

The hens cackle "Well, you know Curry left Tech for Alabama..." See what you have wrought?!

Sadly, no you don't. We just got screwed by the hill like the last time. The challenge will be the same and only a Dodd man could deal with it properly in light of the academic ding dongs.

Enjoy in your ignorant rejoicings, you morons. Something very bad has just happened and it's not all about Coach Curry. It's the politics of the hill.

Selah.

[ QUOTE ]
And if he really wanted the LSU job, how would taking the GT job affect him in any way? Hell, from and LSU standpoint, their number one prospect is now getting more experience than he would had if he had stayed there. If they wanted to, they could always come after him two years down the road. What matters the most is how would he react to that...which I dont think any of us know the answer to that.

[/ QUOTE ]

What I do know is that we already have a search firm. Are they on retainer? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugher.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drinking.gif

Personally I thought the time was right for Curry to take the helm for a few years, but seems like they hooked a good one. Seems like a very competent guy. Hope he brings with him a little of whatever LSU has been doing the last few years. I sure hope they got assurance that he isn't gonna run back to the bayou in 2 years though when their guy retires. He sounded like he closed his LSU chapter, but you never know. It's not like he's an alum or something. That would be the worst possible result, it seems like the advantage of Rad is longevity here so it would suck if we passes on Curry for nothing. Anyway, welcome to the Flats Dan Radakovich! BEAT GEORGIA!

I thought it was a good time to bring in a man like Bill Curry. I was really pulling for him and I am very disappointed at the turn of events. I'll come down from my disappointment in time, as I'm sure Radakovich is a fine choice.

I'm just concerned about the fact that he has been at LSU for 5+ years and there will be a vacancy there in no more than a couple of years. My biased mindset also tells me that if Bill Curry was that close to being selected, why not go with him over the other guy.

Believe me, I'm not in a position to decide if the right choice was truly made or not, I trust Dr. Clough to make that decision. Doesn't mean that I necessarily have to like it.

Invariably, my complaint is often as much with how we handle things as with the decision itself. I wish our new AD the best. I am not overly impressed with what I read - no GT connections, will he know how to succeed in an AA with our academic situation and smaller and more widely dispersed alumni base?, possibility of return to the Bayou in a couple of years, an Assistant AD, rather than an AD. But, he may be a dynamite personality and great leader who hits a home run. I hope so.

I wish we had handled the search differently. Why let it be known that Bill Curry was a finalist? Why let a GT grad who wanted to serve us as AD publicly be identified as finishing second in a two man race for the job?

Could we not have contacted potential candidates for the AD job like Curry, Bonifay, Cremins, and others and let them know we would do a wide search. Ask them to "no comment" inquiries about their interest and assure them of our own complete confidentiality. As usual we have handled a situation in such a way that embarrasses GT people and alienates part of the fan base. With regard to Bill Curry, why did we keep him on the string so long about this job? If Clough and the committee did not want to hire Bill Curry, did it take this long to find that out?

A new approach to sports information with a more savvy approach to public and media relations would be a great start for the new AD.

[ QUOTE ]
Disasterous! This man's resume denotes ambition. Fools!

He will use us professionally, where Curry would have genuinely loved us after all. A Dodd man. Fools!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well don't anyone be late for the "I hate Rad" train. Be the first to get on.

It is amazing to me, though I suppose after reading these message boards for as long as I have and being a member of the GT community for the last 22 years that I shouldn't be amazed, that we have so many people who are so eager to be judge and jury over the future possibilities of a decision that has just been made because it wasn't the one they wanted.

As far as a guy having ambition... Oh my gosh, that's terrible. I can't believe we hired a man who might aspire to greatness in his chosen position as AD at GT. We can't be having that now. How on earth could we have let this happen that a man with a desire to achieve great things come to GT to lead our athletic department.

As for "using us professionally" I have no problem with that. If the guy does everything he can to make GT into the best it can be to further his own goals then I can live with that. At worst, in that scenario, he will be unbelievably driven to make our sports programs into the best they have ever been in order to boost his own stock and he will leave us in far better position than when he came.

At best he will want to be known as the guy who took one of the most difficult positions in the NCAA and made the teams into champs.

But let me say something and be very clear. I understand that many of you have concerns and are disappointed with this decision. I even share some of those concerns and even the ones I don't I accept the possibility that I could be wrong. So I respect the right of those of you unhappy to be disappointed or whatever you are about this decision.

But the decision has been made and for at least the short term our AD is D-Rad. Does it not make sense to do whatever we can to support him instead of lament for the next few years the choice?

Gnats67 did not say he hated "Rad", he hates Clough and the Hill for picking the wrong man of the two.

Bill Curry was the right man for the job at this time. I agree 100% with Gnats67.

Maybe "Rad" will pull a Bobby Cremins, change his mind and go back to L-S-U. Then we can get BC in there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twocents.gif

2333971_80X60.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
Why let it be known that Bill Curry was a finalist?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you think? They're just trying to throw a bone to the alumni. Making it look like they really considered Curry. I doubt if they were ever really considering hiring him. Why do you think it only took them 1 day to decide between the 2 of them. I figured it was gonna be Rad when I heard them announce it was between those 2.

You guys are hilarious. I thought Curry would be a good pick for the job and have said so on here and other boards several times. But I also said that he was the only one I knew enough about to have a real opinion on. Everything I've seen on Radokovich or whatever it is, sounds very good. He's obviously well thought of and has a world of experience as in athletics with a number of schools including one, LSU, at or near the top of major college athletics. Bill himself said he would like the job if he was the right man for it. Well, it sounds to me like we've found the right man and if Tech is smart enough to convince Bill to stay involved and help bring the fanbase together we may get the best of both worlds.

[ QUOTE ]
Well, it sounds to me like we've found the right man and if Tech is smart enough to convince Bill to stay involved and help bring the fanbase together we may get the best of both worlds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess the man to initiate Curry's involvement would be Radakovich. That might be a bit of an uncomfortable situation for both men, but I agree with you, I think it would be a smart move.

Then again, I mirror your sentiments in believing Curry should have been the pick anyway, so naturally I would support such a scenario. Perhaps some of the 'old guard' could help bring such a situation to reality.

[ QUOTE ]
Gnats67 did not say he hated "Rad", he hates Clough and the Hill for picking the wrong man of the two.

Bill Curry was the right man for the job at this time. I agree 100% with Gnats67.

Maybe "Rad" will pull a Bobby Cremins, change his mind and go back to L-S-U. Then we can get BC in there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twocents.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

FH, so what are you going to do now that the choice has been made and the name of our AD is NOT Bill Curry? Is every decision made by Rad going to be looked at for its own merit or will it be a case of WWBD (what would Bill do)? This is an honest question because I don't know you so I don't know how you react when a decision is made that is clearly different than the one you wanted.

My fear with this decision is not that D-Rad won't do a good job. My fear is that he won't be given the opportunity to do a good job because of who he isn't rather than who he is and that he is being judged by that same criterion right now.

This is a situation in which there could have been many good choices. There isn't only one person who can do a great job as our AD. I hope that D-Rad is given an HONEST chance to be a great AD here even though his name isn't Bill Curry.

With that name, I would say we would now have us a full blooded Polish Cajun at the helm. Might not be too bad after all since that may bring in some strange new food recipes that the Varsity hasn't introduced yet.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbup.gif

Sometimes I just don't think we deserve any better than we get. We bitch and moan about Hewitt until his run to the final 4, but now it's starting again. Braine was always trashed, Clough is an idiot, we won't even start the Chan bashing, and now a man WE DON'T EVEN KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT ISN'T GOOD ENOUGH FOR US. EVEN THOUGH HE WAS EVIDENTLY GOOD ENOUGH FOR LSU IF HE WAS WILLING TO WAIT.

Are we the dumbest fan base in America or just close?

[ QUOTE ]
Sometimes I just don't think we deserve any better than we get. We bitch and moan about Hewitt until his run to the final 4, but now it's starting again. Braine was always trashed, Clough is an idiot, we won't even start the Chan bashing, and now a man WE DON'T EVEN KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT ISN'T GOOD ENOUGH FOR US. EVEN THOUGH HE WAS EVIDENTLY GOOD ENOUGH FOR LSU IF HE WAS WILLING TO WAIT.

Are we the dumbest fan base in America or just close?

[/ QUOTE ]

ncjacket, I don't think we're the dumbest fan base in America. I just think that people are tired of feeling like GT has so much potential energy and then not seeing that converted into kinetic energy (wow, was that a major goob analogy or what). Whether we are achieving or not is up for debate, my contention is that some people feel we are holding ourselves back by not doing the things we need to do and if we just execute the right plans we can be a major athletic force.

The frustration people feel (and I realize I am WAY overgeneralizing here) is because so many feel that that success is just beyond our grasp and they aren't happy with the things that are being done (or not being done) to try and take one more step so we can reach it.

That's just my VERY amateur psycho analysis of our fanbase as a whole.

In the last 15+ years we have seen each of the 'big 3' programs at GT reach the pinnacle of the respective sport; a football National Championship in 1990, 2 Final Fours in '90 and '04 (reaching the title game), 2 College World Series (reaching the championship game in '94).

Achievements of this magnitude are pretty much few and far between for most colleges, GT being no exception. However, we've seen that it has been done in the past, so there is no reason why it can't be done in the present/future. Or in the very least there is no reason why we shouldn't feel that the potential is there for it to happen.

I'm not concerned with how things might be now compared to then in terms of academics and what have you. The facilities at GT are better than they have ever been, and improvements/upgrades will continue.

I'm not unreasonable with my expectations. I want to compete 'consistently' with any opponent on the football schedule, moving forward from the consistent 7 win seasons of late. I want the basketball program to achieve once again to where the NCAA tournament is, for the most part, a given ...I don't want to reach the title game and in two years finish towards the bottom of the ACC (although I understand the magnitude of players lost over this time, there is no reason for the second-half collapses we've witnessed recently). I want the baseball team to win a SuperRegional on it's own turf, get back to the CWS, and win the CWS.

I'm a fan and i will always be a fan. Being a fan means having high expectations ...and there's certainly nothing wrong with that.

Back