Another big DT coming to Tech

Indian Buzz

Varsity Lurker
TheInsiders is reporting that LeShawn Newberry at 6'1" 315 lbs DT from Spruce Creek HS in Port Orange, Florida has verballed. He was recruited by recruited by Syracuse, Florida, FSU, Miami, and his other offer was from Vanderbilt.

By bringing in Newberry, Parker, Wrotto, Bridges, McHargue, McGuire and others, it appears that Chan is working to make this team bigger and faster. We've seen how small defenses get pushed around. I'm giving a Chan a chance to see if his plan works. I wasn't too happy after the UGA game, but it's looking pretty good in recruiting.

If 1 or 2 of the big boys offered I would be very happy. Right now only Tech and Vandy is all we know for sure. He was honorable mention all state as a jr. Thats a ho hum. In his classification there were 3 all st. teams picked and then looks like hundreds or so for hm. If his speed of 5.1 is TRUE that would be a good indication of a good sleeper pick. We really need to find out more about who was REALLY recruiting him and how HARD!

we do?.......why? Will that improve/diminish his ACTUAL talent/potential?

some of you folks are downright comical!!
rolleyes.gif

techrod's posts on recruits are usually a joke .. don't read too much into them as they are just his opinions ..

his posts on recruiting are "ho hum"

based on his logic .. the guy prolly decided to marry his wife based on how many other men wanted to marry her

Buzz fan, I laugh at your question. What I am trying to do is figure out his potential. Every team no matter where they rate in national rankings has got 300 pounders on the squard. So you look to see who offered. Really quite simple. You can judge a sleeper by how fast or strong he is. They say 5.1. If he REALLY is that fast I would think some of those big time programs he is mentioned with would have offered. Don't you?

Techrod,

According to what I have read, Miami was talking
to him and FSU had requested video footage. The
fact that Vandy had offered already is promising
from an academic perspective.

The kid's a 4 year starter in HS and also appears
to be one of the top weightlifters in the state
and the #2 junior shotputter last year.

He's big, he's athletic, and he has grades and I'm
pumped that he wants to work himself into the DT
position at Tech.

Originally posted by techrod:
If 1 or 2 of the big boys offered I would be very happy. Right now only Tech and Vandy is all we know for sure. He was honorable mention all state as a jr. Thats a ho hum. In his classification there were 3 all st. teams picked and then looks like hundreds or so for hm. If his speed of 5.1 is TRUE that would be a good indication of a good sleeper pick. We really need to find out more about who was REALLY recruiting him and how HARD!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">

Talk and vidios mean absolutely nothing. Weights ect. are ok. if that is so. VANDY OFFERING a ship means a whole lot less than anything said so far!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by techrod:
Talk and vidios mean absolutely nothing. Weights ect. are ok. if that is so. VANDY OFFERING a ship means a whole lot less than anything said so far!!!!!!!!!!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">techrod, if he can't get in Tech and stay in, it doesn't matter if he's Big Daddy Lipscomb! Cracker's point is that he might be good academically if Vandy is interested.

Belly, I understand the academics, but I'm not getting carried away on this one[yet]

techrod, you don't understand much ..

doesn't matter if you get carried away or not .. do you realize that?

our coaches are excited about him and the others they are bringing in ..

He's beef and he's a run stopper with decent speed for his size. Frankly, compared to the last few weeks, recruiting is actually looking promising.

I was especially impressed with Leshawn's comments on Coach Nix. He said he was sold on GT from that first conversation on. Gotta like that.

ylojk8, of course the coaches are going to say they are excited. I guess the Vandy coaches have been beside themselves over their classes the last 10, 20, or how many years????

Beezoneer, he is beefy, but I wonder who put the stop watch on him. If it is official, I say great, but 6'1 and 315lbs. uhmmm

Techrod, I am sure you can draw some conclusions to past statistics. For instance, out of 50 five-star rated recruits, let's say 30 made the grade. Maybe out of 50 four-star recruits, 25 made the grade, and so on.

I am sure you might make the assumption the same would hold true if 50 players were recruited by the top ten teams with the same results. Maybe the next 50 players recruited by the top teams ranked between 11-20 might possibly have the same results as the four-star recruits.

So we have statistics as far as recruits, but that is only part of the equation. We also have some coaches who can get more out of a three star athlete than some coaches out of a five star athlete.

Throw in the work ethic of the kid, his ability to adapt to the higher level of play, etc. and the rantings of "who is recruiting the kid" becomes muddled in all of the other factors and is relatively insignificant.

If I remember correctly, you stated you had been called by one of the coaches at one time to help recruit a player. If this is correct, it has been duly noted and you can have your share of glory. However, I doubt if there are many on this board who cares about the other schools recruiting the players we have gotten.

I believe our mission is to recruit the best possible athletes with the best possible chances of coping with our academic standards. We take what we can get, and I guess it is needless to say, we can't have what we can't get.

Other than this, it appears to me, it is meaningless to discuss who was or was not recruiting the athletes who come to Tech. If you can get better athletes to attend Tech with the required academics, I am sure Tech would be willing to give you a job, if you can prove your value to them.

rolleyes.gif

I understand what Techrod is saying. The teams that are recruiting him gives a yardstick to judge
the kids true worth. I think that the fact that Miami, Fla., Fla. State and Syracuse was recruiting him speaks well of the kid. The high school coach indicated that he was expecting an offer from Syracuse shortly, but his commitment
to us put a stop to that.

I would like to see some new young talent and potential on GT roster.I can not wait to see him
playing for us next season.

I have stated in other post that 18 to 20 recruits had better have at least one top 25 program offering a ship. I don't put any stock into the recruiting magazines and such except ONLY for entertainment. Having said that if 20 of your recruits are only offered by the likes of Vandy, Duke Rutgers, Tulane, and memphis st then you will have many sad days ahead a lot like our last game. Now if we get the recruit who has been offered by the big boys I will proudly expound on that also!

I think Techrod is beeware. Has anyone ever seen these two people in the same room at the same time?
confused.gif

grin.gif

Coldbeer, that's funny. I am not as negative as he is. CG has got to prove to me; whereas I don't believe that could ever happen with Beware. I know I can be proven wrong!

Back